Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

SIDS and STARS

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Can any body provide a basic tutorial for me i would deeply appreciate it.

5 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

SID (Standard Instrument Departure) and STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival Route) procedures ensure that aircraft departing selected airports maintain terrain and obstruction clearance as they climb to a safe enroute altitude. In addition, SID's or DP (Departure procedures) and STAR's are also used in congested airspace for air traffic control purposes. They give the pilot a preset, safe course and altitude to depart or arrive the terminal area. Sometimes this will require a min. climb gradient in high terrain areas. Some DP's or STARS are only for certain types of aircraft( Jets,Aircraft with a speed above 250 KIAS) Some DP's are more complicated than others. DP's and STARS reduce controller workload. Also helps pilots because you can file a STAR or SID on your fight plan thus you know what your routing will be as you depart and also near your destination. Many airports don't have either. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Ive got the PMDG 737TNG how do i insert my route into the plane?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I don't have PMDG 737TNG. Each procedure has a name/code that is used when filing a flight plan or inserting into the FMS. You need the Instrument charts for the names/codes. For instance:

Houston,TX.(KIAH) to New Orleans,La(KMSY)

Route- KIAH Beaumont four Baton Rouge transition Beaumont(VOR) AWDAD arrival via Beaumont(VOR)

In the flight plan or FMS would be:

KIAH BPT4.BTR AWDAD.AWDAD6 KMSY No connecting airway because SID and STAR have common fix. Normally center of route is victor or Jet airways and fixes.

US Instrument charts (approach,SID's and STAR's) are available here:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/digital_tpp.asp?ver=0513&eff=12-22-2005&end=01-19-2006

You can use the flight planner within flight sim to figure out the enroute Victor or Jet routes between Departure and Destination. No viewable charts on the INTERNET that I know of. You can buy simulated enroute charts at:

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=category.jsp&event=link(browse)&wlcs_catalog_sourceKey=wlcs_categories&wlcs_catalog_destinationKey=wlcs_siblings&root_category_id=null&wlcs_catalog_category_id=AT1E4F

Hope this helps. 🙂 That was alot of work 😛 Just kidding, anything I can do to help.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

I dont understand you, sorry lol. I need a noobish explanation on how to insert a flight path/plan into the gps.

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

You have to download the SIDS and STARS from Precision manuals. There is information included as how to install the SIDS and STARS.

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/downloads/detail.asp?iFile=440&iType=13

To program your flight plan you must use the FMC that is included in the 737NG. It is a standard FMC but if you are unfamiliar with programming one please refer to the extensive information and documentation that you no doubt recieved when you purchased your copy of the PMDG 737NG