Copywrites

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

How do I find out if a name or logo is copywrited?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

US Copyright Office ➡
http://www.copyright.gov/

Don Wood Guest

Copyrights are for documents, books, works of art, etc. Names and logos are either trademarks or registered.

Every published writing and work of art is automatically copyrighted upon publication. It also helps to mark it with the copyright symbol (a small "c" in a circle), the year of publication and the name of the copyright holder. Registering the copyright with the government is not necessary but does provide a little more muscle if you have to sue to enforce your copyright.

In order to be protected, names and logos must contain the trademark (tm) symbol or the registered (r) symbol each time the name or logo is used and the holder must also make efforts to notify users who do not so identify it or the name or symbol may become part of the public domain and be free for use by anyone. I am not sure whether trade marks and registered symbols must be registered with the government or if they are automatically protected as are copyrights. If you think there may be a problem using a name or logo that may be protected you should consult an attorney before doing so.

While we are on the subject (ATTN Radarman) there have been a number of copyright violations on this board lately. It is not legal to reproduce a newspaper or magazine article in its entirety in any other published form without the express permission of the copyright holder. There have been a number of threads in which a published article was copyed into a thread here. It is OK to quote a sentence or two from an article (called fair use) but beyond that, you begin to enter the domain of the dreaded "intellectual rights attorneys".

The better way to impart such information is to include a link to the original article if it is on the net, to publish a reference as to where an article can be found, or to obtain the copyright holder's permission for longer quotations.

The reason I know this is that I am a writer who, along with hundreds of other writers, is about to receive a fair size settlement from a class action lawsuit because a number of my articles were published in on-line web sites after their publication on paper but without my permission. Some of the defendants in this suit are the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, many major magazines and other newspapers, and a variety of online publishers.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Don Wood wrote:

While we are on the subject (ATTN Radarman) there have been a number of copyright violations on this board lately. It is not legal to reproduce a newspaper or magazine article in its entirety in any other published form without the express permission of the copyright holder. There have been a number of threads in which a published article was copyed into a thread here. It is OK to quote a sentence or two from an article (called fair use) but beyond that, you begin to enter the domain of the dreaded "intellectual rights attorneys".

The better way to impart such information is to include a link to the original article if it is on the net, to publish a reference as to where an article can be found, or to obtain the copyright holder's permission for longer quotations.

Hi Don,

If your regarding my post that I made regarding FSX. Then I'm deeply sorry and didn't know about the copyright issue. I would then ask Radarman to delete the topic.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ok, just give me links to the material and I'll (if I can) delete it.
I see your point and fully agree.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

RM first of all Happy New year to you and your family.

here's the link for the FSX thread
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/10640/flight-sim-x-please-read/

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

RM first of all Happy New year to you and your family.

here's the link for the FSX thread
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/10640/flight-sim-x-please-read/

Thank you and may I wish you and yours the same.

I just deleted the jpg and left the link so the story is still up.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Ok, thanks guys.

Don Wood Guest

Liono: I was not referring to anyone in particular. There have been a number of such postings over the last few weeks.

Please don't feel I am pointing fingers at you or anyone. The only reason I raised the discussion is because of the legal problems it could cause for both the poster and the board itself. It could be similar to all the lawsuits being filed by the music industry against both web sites and individual music consumers.

The lawsuit I referred to in which I am one of the plaintiff class has several dozen defendants and is going to cost they or their insurance companies many millions of $ to settle. It is not an insignificant issue.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Don Wood wrote:

Liono: I was not referring to anyone in particular. There have been a number of such postings over the last few weeks.

Please don't feel I am pointing fingers at you or anyone. The only reason I raised the discussion is because of the legal problems it could cause for both the poster and the board itself.

Morning Don Wood, I understand you where not pointing the finger at me. But to be on the safe side that's why I ask RM to delete the jpg and just leave the link. I understand where your coming from.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...