SearchSearch 

RAM Help

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy some RAM from Ebay, and I'm just wondering what I need to know, so that it will work. The RAM I have at the moment is 2 sticks of 256MB PC2700, 184-Pinn, DDR 333 mHz, so obviously I'll get RAM that matches those characteristics.

What I want to know is, are there any other things that will stop the RAM I buy, working properly ❓

Cheers in advance 😉

5 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Providing the sticks are good and you get the same spec you should be ok

The thing to think about is,how many memory slots do you have ?And what are you going to put in
Some newer mobos run memory in duel mode where the sticks have to be matched

Pro Member Chief Captain

I have 4 slots, capable of holding 4 GB in total. I'm using 2 slots with 512MB in total, (2 x 256). I was going to put in 1 GB into the third slot, which is compatible with my other sticks. My motherboard is Dell Computer Corp. 02Y832 if that means anything to you, cos it sure doesn't to me ❗

Cheers TTT 😉

🍻

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

When buying computer parts from Ebay the first thing I look at is the rating of the seller. If they have sold a lot of items and have a good rating then I consider them.

As long as you buy the same type of memory you should be OK, but you don't have to buy the same size. You can get a stick of 512 MEG and is should run fine with what you already have.

When I first built the computer I have now I installed a 128 MEG stick and have added a stick of 512 MEG for a total of 640 MEG and it works just fine.

Yea, I know, 128 MEG stinks, but at the time I wasn't running XP or FS2004. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

😂

Cheers Warhawk 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Sounds good to me 👍