Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Computer?

Wanthisgame Guest

If I have a computer w/ 384mb of ram and a pentium 3 processor will this game run normally (no lag/slowness when flying)? Thanks!

Mikee747 Guest

Hello. You will be able to run this game on low settings with original aircraft at around 15-25fps with NO scenery, weather or traffic

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

You could definitely use more RAM, you don't say what your graphics card is and that can have a great deal to do with how well the game will run.

Wanthisgame Guest

Ouch lol, something weird happened w/ my computer. We installed 1 gig of RAM in it but it says i only have 384mb. Do I have 1 gig or 384? Will 1 gig work? Thanks again 😀

Wanthisgame Guest

Oh, how do I find out what graphics card I have? I have windows XP and I think I may have a Nvidia but im not sure

Wanthisgame Guest

Ok, sorry for posting so much, another thing is that i had 500 something of ram before we installed the other ram.....

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Wanthisgame wrote:

Ouch lol, something weird happened w/ my computer. We installed 1 gig of RAM in it but it says i only have 384mb. Do I have 1 gig or 384? Will 1 gig work? Thanks again 😀

I have no idea why it tells you you only have 384 MEG. Is it actually using the 1 GIG or is it only reading 384 MEG? I don't know. You might go to tools and system information and see what it says.

You can go to the control panel then System then Hardware and you should be able to find out what graphics card you have.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Not sure if point 8 on this link is of use http://www.crucial.com/install/dimm_3.asp#close

Dont Know

Wanthisgame Guest

Its says....

Total Physical Memory:384.00MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96GB

I'm not sure what any of this means but I know that a good friend of my dads installed the extra ram to put us up to a gig and I have the game Delta Force BHD and after the installation of the ram that game improved incredibly.

Wanthisgame Guest

I also had Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle For Europe which ran fine but I got rid of it because it was very hard to fly w/ a keyboard but I plan on getting a joystick for this game 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

What version of Windows do you have ?

Wanthisgame Guest

Windows XP with service pack 2

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You said you have a P-3, what megahertz is it.
A lot of questions but we want to help.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 Somethings wrong here 😕
Can you say the 1gig stick is working
To test take out the 1gig stick and see what it reports then try with just the 1 gig stick,and again see what it says you have

Wanthisgame Guest

996mhz......I dont know how to take out the stick and im pretty sure its 2 sticks that build onto the 500 something ram we already had.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Wanthisgame wrote:

Its says....

Total Physical Memory:384.00MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96GB

I'm not sure what any of this means but I know that a good friend of my dads installed the extra ram to put us up to a gig and I have the game Delta Force BHD and after the installation of the ram that game improved incredibly.

If you got the improvement after installing the extra ram then it is working, or at least was working.

Forget about virtual RAM, that has nothing to do with physical RAM at all. That is hard drive space Windows sets aside for use as memory.

Assuming your memory is OK that is good enough to run FS2004, but questions still remain as to what your graphics card is and what speed your processor is.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Hold down the Control - Alt - Delete keys all together once to bring up the Windows task manager.
Then click on the Performance Tab.

then under Physical Memory (K)

what does it say for the Total?

Also, can you look at your motherboard manual(if you have it) and it will tell you what memory specs your computer can use and how much it can use.

Or, if you don't have the motherboard Docs, post your Computer make and model no. and we can see what memory upgrades you can use.

It sounds like you have installed memory that is not compatible, or possibly in Dimm sizes that are not supported.
If you have tha bill for the memory, tell us what you bought, and we will be able to determine if it is right for your computer.

Wanthisgame Guest

It says 392496 for total 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Windows is only using 384 megs of memory,
If you can get the other info, maybe we can help you sort it out...

Mikee747 Guest

Hello Again.

Well, I think I have the solution. The RAM you are using is probably too fast for the system you have.

eg. I bought some RAM and it did not recognize it because the speed was too fast.

You probably bought the standard 512mb PC3200 RAM. With your system on a P3 that is probably too fast.

Try to slow down by getting a 512mb PC2200 RAM stick. It may help.

Also, if possible, consult your manufacturer about what is the fastest RAM you can have in your machine. Plus check it is slotted in properly.

Best Regards,
Mike 🙂

PS. You can check your graphics card by going into Start>Control Panel> Appearance and Themes>Display>Settings> "Then it should say Plug and Play Monitor running on x (x being your card)

PS2. Log onto www.windowsupdate.com regularly and check for updates. Also if you have an nVidia card go to www.nvidia.com and update the drivers for that.

PS3. Look in your settings in Control Panel and check that you are enabling the amount of RAM that is set (it should have done it automatically when correctly installed)

PS4. Go into your BIOS on startup (usually F8 or F12 or Delete), then select Memory Performance and select "Maximum".

Wanthisgame Guest

Thanks for the comments! I have a Geforce2GTS/Geforce2pro 32mb card. If my Ram is too fast for my computer is it still working or is it not working at all?

Mikee747 Guest

If it is too fast it will not work. You will just have to pop in where you can to find out the speed you can run.

The GeForce 2 32mb has some issues. You will certainly have to upgrade that to run FS2004 as I assume it has no T&L.

If you purchase an ATi Radeon 9600 or GeForce 5200 for around $90 or 50 you will be on track.

Yet if you can't afford a new card then get something like NVTweak to speed up your graphics card (advances users only!).

I would recommend around a $220/160 upgrade by getting:
2.6ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processor
Another 512mb PC2200 RAM
ATi Radeon 9600 128mb

There you go!

Wanthisgame Guest

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the game and it is running great! Its even on the ultra high detail settings. Thanks for everyones help!

tomthetank wrote:

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

tomthetank wrote:

🙄 ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Wanthisgame wrote:

Windows XP with service pack 2