Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FAA rules

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Some one told me that your hours of instruction don't count until you are 16. I know that is not the case in California, but I thought FAA rules were the same thoughout the United States. Help. Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

Some one told me that your hours of instruction don't count until you are 16. I know that is not the case in California, but I thought FAA rules were the same thoughout the United States. Help. Confused

Maybe this article will help you until someone more knowledgeable comes along Arrow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Aviation_Administration Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I wouldn't have said that is true because you are still doing the hours just at a different age. It definitely doesn't apply to the JAA or CAA Dont Know . Ask your flight instructor next time you see them Wink

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

mypilot wrote:

Who told you that?

Ask them here, they know everything there is to know about aviation:
http://forums.aopa.org/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

mypilot, I may not be right, but I remember reading in a booklet sent to me from Tech Aviation, the flight school at my local airport, that you can't fly solo until you are sixteen years old. I believe your hours will count, but you can't get your license or fly solo until you're 16.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Yea, solo at 16, lissence at 17. I just looked into it, and your hours do count, as long as your with a CFI, and you put it in the log book. I don't think that state laws can change that, so it should be the same every where.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

and in canada it's licsence at 14! Razz

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Didn't it used to be 14 in the US too? My dad told me they changed it because a girl got killed a while back in an accident. That's when they changed it to 17,.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

and in canada it's licsence at 14! Razz

I think that that is incorrect, the rules and requirements are accutally more strict. But If I'm wrong feel free to correct me. I quoted this from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_licensing_in_Canada

* Requirements
o 17 years of age at time of licence completion
o Must obtain a category 3 or 1 medical certificate
o Completed a minimum of 40 hours of ground school on specified topics
o Completed 45 hours of flight training including all designated exercises
o Successfully pass a written exam with Transport Canada (PPAER - pass mark 60%)
o Successfully complete a flight test to the standard outlined in the Flight Test Guide
* Privileges and restrictions upon completion
o May act as pilot-in-command of any aircraft (as endorsed on the licence)
o May carry passengers (as per aircraft limitations, subject to currency requirements)
o May not fly for hire (including carriage of passengers or cargo)
o Limited to day, VFR flight conditions
o May obtain Night, Instrument, Float, Multi-engine, and Over-the-top ratings

Mypilot,

Have all of yours been in the right seat?