Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FAA rules

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Some one told me that your hours of instruction don't count until you are 16. I know that is not the case in California, but I thought FAA rules were the same thoughout the United States. Help. 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

Some one told me that your hours of instruction don't count until you are 16. I know that is not the case in California, but I thought FAA rules were the same thoughout the United States. Help. 😕

Maybe this article will help you until someone more knowledgeable comes along ➡ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Aviation_Administration 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I wouldn't have said that is true because you are still doing the hours just at a different age. It definitely doesn't apply to the JAA or CAA Dont Know . Ask your flight instructor next time you see them 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

mypilot wrote:

Who told you that?

Ask them here, they know everything there is to know about aviation:
http://forums.aopa.org/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

mypilot, I may not be right, but I remember reading in a booklet sent to me from Tech Aviation, the flight school at my local airport, that you can't fly solo until you are sixteen years old. I believe your hours will count, but you can't get your license or fly solo until you're 16.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Yea, solo at 16, lissence at 17. I just looked into it, and your hours do count, as long as your with a CFI, and you put it in the log book. I don't think that state laws can change that, so it should be the same every where.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

and in canada it's licsence at 14! 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Didn't it used to be 14 in the US too? My dad told me they changed it because a girl got killed a while back in an accident. That's when they changed it to 17,.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

and in canada it's licsence at 14! 😛

I think that that is incorrect, the rules and requirements are accutally more strict. But If I'm wrong feel free to correct me. I quoted this from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_licensing_in_Canada

* Requirements
o 17 years of age at time of licence completion
o Must obtain a category 3 or 1 medical certificate
o Completed a minimum of 40 hours of ground school on specified topics
o Completed 45 hours of flight training including all designated exercises
o Successfully pass a written exam with Transport Canada (PPAER - pass mark 60%)
o Successfully complete a flight test to the standard outlined in the Flight Test Guide
* Privileges and restrictions upon completion
o May act as pilot-in-command of any aircraft (as endorsed on the licence)
o May carry passengers (as per aircraft limitations, subject to currency requirements)
o May not fly for hire (including carriage of passengers or cargo)
o Limited to day, VFR flight conditions
o May obtain Night, Instrument, Float, Multi-engine, and Over-the-top ratings

Mypilot,

Have all of yours been in the right seat?