Strange high-altitude behavior

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

I've flown a few of the jets at 30,000-35,000 feet, but I keep experiencing what I can only describe as very strong wind gusts. I didn't think the jet stream was that gusty, but I'll be flying along, and it will yaw by 15-20 degrees. At the same time, the airspeed will change drastically, like I was cruising at 0.85 mach on the 747, and it suddenly jumped to .98 mach in a split second! I have real world weather turned on, updates every 15 minutes, and rate of change set for medium (pretty much the defaults). It's annoying because the overspeed warning goes off whenever it decides to speed way up. I guess the next thing to try would be to use fixed weather and turn off the updates, but has anybody else run into this?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Yes - that is just the nature of real world weather in the sim. It doesn't change gradually, rather it just changes in one drastic movement, so pressure, wind speed etc can drop or suddenly appear. I usually set my own weather so it isn't just the same old norm, but it doesn't change too much either 😉

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

Thanks Jon, I'll keep that in mind. I figured it might have something to do with the instantaneous weather updates.
-Dave

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I'm sorry to say I've lost a couple of planes due to what you describe. Since then, I fly a bit slower and watch my instruments more intently.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...