Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Major computer problems

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Hi chap's

Just thought I'll let you all know I'm having major computer problem at the moment. I'm trying to get the best out of my computer and throuhg the tinking I may of done something, when my PC rebooted I got the lovely BSOD Wall Bashing Wall Bashing

I'm using next door's laptop to post this message. I will still be able to post on the forum's from work and help some people out from there.

I hope to be back online by the weekend Dont Know I just hope and pray that I don't have to reformat my HD and reinstall Window's

Untill next time safe flying.

Regards,

Liono

P.S

Steve T How did the A320 panel? Speak to you on MSN soon I hope

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's a major bummer.
I hope you can get it fixed without reformatting although do you remember how nicely Windows ran after a clean install, look at the sunny side.

Good luck and we hope to see you back here soon.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

You may have left yourself no option but to reformat, but as Radar says, that isn't all bad.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Liono,

We have a show over here in the states called NCIS. Gethro always thinks that rebutting works for everything. But in your case...??? Maybe a reformat isn't such a bad idea after all it will run better after a clean install. Good luck.

Regards,

Pro Member Chief Captain

edr1073 wrote:

Liono,

We have a show over here in the states called NCIS. Gethro always thinks that rebutting works for everything.

I'm more of a Gibbs and know nothing 😉 only joking I'm more like probie.

Cheers for the comments guys. I'm going to ask a couple of the tech guys at work today to see if they know what could be the cause.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im a fun of clean installations too,but just in case you have to save some of your data try to boot your pc from windows CD(You have to change the boot device from bios if it cant starts)and try to repair your excisting OS or make a second new installation(witout format).
When your new nstallation finish and your PC restarts you will have to choose from two OS's to start.Choose the second(fresh one).You will see that all of your data(or most of them)are in your hard drives and you can save them.After save them continue with format and clean installation.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Im a fun of clean installations too,but just in case you have to save some of your data try to boot your pc from windows CD(You have to change the boot device from bios if it cant starts)and try to repair your excisting OS or make a second new installation(witout format).
When your new nstallation finish and your PC restarts you will have to choose from two OS's to start.Choose the second(fresh one).You will see that all of your data(or most of them)are in your hard drives and you can save them.After save them continue with format and clean installation.

I've tried that last night and no luck. Luckly I got a DVD-RW for Christmas so all my FS add-ons that I downloaded (Active Sky, FS Build etc etc) are saved to DVD. The only thing I've lost is music and TV shows, but there easy to get hold off.

I'm going to re-format the whole drive tonight Crying or Very sad and take it from there.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

I've tried that last night and no luck. Luckly I got a DVD-RW for Christmas so all my FS add-ons that I downloaded (Active Sky, FS Build etc etc) are saved to DVD. The only thing I've lost is music and TV shows, but there easy to get hold off.

I'm going to re-format the whole drive tonight Crying or Very sad and take it from there.

You mean that you have installed a second part of windows and you couldnt found your data?What exactly happens?Im asking just from interesting 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll start from the beginning for you sir. 😉

I added something to the registry
Went into MSCONFIG and checked sfaeboot (to unistall my GFX drivers)
Checked OK everything shut down then the lovely BSOD appeared. After searching for 2 hours looking for all my back disk's (I must keep this in a safer place 😉 )

Booted the computer with XP disk. Checked repair (I think) and rebooted, no luck. Tried again with something else (I think it's what you suggested Greekman) no luck still the same old BSOD.

That left me with two options
1. Complete Reformat
2. Quick Format

I done option 2 last night before I went to bed and seem's to have done the trick. But when I get hoem I'm going to do a complete Reformat and maybe even install my new 400w power supply that's been sitting in my cupboard for the last 6 months.

Regards,
Liono

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thanks for get in the trouble to explain me the whole process dear Liono.
If i get you right i think that you dont have tried to install a second copy of Windows in your system.Anyway...since you format(quick)its all past.

I Wish you better luck next time...(i dont wish for next time but windows are windows and users ,like me and you and more, can always cause problems... 😉 😉 😉 )

Pro Member Chief Captain

OK I finally got round to reformating my HD this evening, just finished about 20 mins ago.

So I'm back and I think this requires 1 round of drinks on Liono

ENJOY

🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

OK I finally got round to reformating my HD this evening, just finished about 20 mins ago.

So I'm back and I think this requires 1 round of drinks on Liono

ENJOY

🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻

Great news Liono 👍 👍 👍 ...Welcome back to flights... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

OK I finally got round to reformating my HD this evening...

Did you partition as well as reformat?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

There is no need to partition unless you want to run more than one OS or want to divide the drive up into smaller segments. There can be some advantage to running the drive on more than one partition even if you are only going to run one OS. The additional sections can be saved along with the information on them in the event you have the C drive (OS) crash. You can reformat C drive only and not lose what is on the other partitions.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

There is no need to partition unless you want to run more than one OS or want to divide the drive up into smaller segments. There can be some advantage to running the drive on more than one partition even if you are only going to run one OS. The additional sections can be saved along with the information on them in the event you have the C drive (OS) crash. You can reformat C drive only and not lose what is on the other partitions.

Totally agree with Warhawk. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

And the moral of this story?

Don't meddle with the registry, not even windows gets it right most the time 🙂

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Insight wrote:

And the moral of this story?

Don't meddle with the registry, not even windows gets it right most the time 🙂

I use Registry Mechanic to keep my registry clean and it seems to work OK. There is a lot of junk collects there if you don't keep it cleaned out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I use Registry Cleaner and Easy Cleaner for this job.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

keeping the registry clean and adding things to it are different matters though 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

keeping the registry clean and adding things to it are different matters though 🙂

Obviously 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

That's keep rubbing it in 😉 . just managed to fit my 400watt power supply in the end thanks to this Censored up. Cheers for the comments anyway guys.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

OK I finally got round to reformating my HD...

How did you do it?

Do you have Windows XP full version?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I put my Windows XP OEM CD into my DVD Drive
Restarted windows
I kept on pressing the F8 key
Then I choose to boot from my CD drive instead of the HD and followed the on screen instructions.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

I put my Windows XP OEM CD into my DVD Drive
Restarted windows
I kept on pressing the F8 key
Then I choose to boot from my CD drive instead of the HD and followed the on screen instructions.

I'll try that, thanks.