DO YOURSELF A FAVOR....

Andrew Sergi Guest

I learned one amazing thing about FS2004 today. The sim is designed to bring the old thrills gone by to the modern pilot, and to bring its history alive. Yet out of the box and hours into it, I pushed the old birds asside and began trying to become a better IFR pilot (in real life also I have 12 hours logged thus far), so driving myself to a mental breakdown in FS2004 can be a recurring thing. Tonight I was practicing ILS approaches and reading the Jeppesen Charts, and on a blown approach I focused so hard on, I simply collapsed and turned the game off....Then I looked at the box and saw the Jenny. I figured what the hell, its night time anyway, maybe ill go for a night flight in Paris...no bells, no whistles, just sightseeing. And man lemme tell you...It was a just flat out cool sight to see those pistons firing infront of me. The rest was just honest to god fun I loved every minute of it. It should be a requirement for all sim pilots (ha and possibly all real ones who can "borrow" a Jenny) to just go to a city...any city at night...and just hop in some of the old birds. Thats what flying is all about, Charlie Brown 😎

happy flying
-Andrew Sergi

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Now you know why I just fly GA aircraft, the DC-3 being my favorite.

I have a folder full of vintage props, a few jets but they just sit there.
Flying by the seat of your pants can be exhilarating, I'm glad you found out before you uninstalled this pleasurable simulator.

Radar

Guest Ed Guest

I agree, there is a lot to be said for just flying around sight-seeing in a very simple airplane. Personally, I don't get the appeal of hauling passengers back and forth in a big jet for hours at a time.

I broke out the Jenny and flew around for a while, just a couple of weeks ago. Lots of fun.

And I got FS2002 after FS2004, mostly for the Sopwith Camel that was included with that version. It has a similar level of complexity to the Jenny, but considerably higher performance. A real gas to fly. The Jenny is cool, but a little more horsepower is fun, too. 😀

Ed

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

What you experienced with the Jenny I experience with the Waco Biplane or the PT-13 except they have more power (and the sound of a radial engine) and have much better ground control. The lack of a steerable tail wheel makes the Jenny a hand full on the ground.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

Personally, I don't get the appeal of hauling passengers back and forth in a big jet for hours at a time.

Ed

Flying at 40,000 feet in a big jet just isn't for me, give me something slow and low and I'm happy. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I have a folder full of vintage props

Punk 👍

Are you selling this folder??? 😉 😉 😉 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Flight simulator is a great tool for the inspiring pilot but people being people, want the biggest and the fastest. Many people fail to see the greatest beauty of Flight Simulator 2004; the historical aircraft and wonderful environments that can be flown. I love the planes many people don't want to fly like the Piper Cub and the Douglas DC-3. As I read the types of posts that people were writing, I quickly gathered that no one wanted to hear about the beauty of flight. They were just wanted more buttons. Many people just want to jump straight into 747 that is so detailed that it takes you a month of study just to fly the thing. Then they complain that they can't land it. The 747 is fine and I do fly it but real flying is not sitting behind an autopilot for 12 hours. I agree that there is satisfaction in learning complex systems and correctly utilizing them to operate a heavy jet but it take time to get to that point. Time that the average Simulator Pilot doesn't want to put in flying the Cessna 172 and working their way up. Airline pilots fly much of the time on autopilot and have complex systems because that's what the job requires. It's too much work and not safe to hand fly a big jet for 12 hours. Airline pilots don't fly an ILS because it's fun. They fly it because in poor weather, it's one of the safest ways to find the runway. If given the choice, they would like a visual landing with good weather. Pilots that are learning must beware that Flight Simulator can hurt your real flying. You may establish bad habits and practice incorrect procedures to the point that it will be difficult to change. Don't kill yourself doing ILS approaches when you are a student pilot. You have many other things to learn before you get to that point. Instrument approaches come after your Private or PPL license. You have many things to learn before you should even think of an ILS. The basics you learn are the foundation that higher skills will be built on. It's like a first grader trying to teach themselves mixed fractions and negative numbers in math when they can't add and subtract. Speed through the basics because you want to get to the more exciting things and you will pay for it in the end. Pilots that have flown flight simulator tend to stare at the panel when they fly in the real world. They should be using outside cues to fly. Real pilots should spend 75% of the time looking outside(VFR or VMC conditions). Even instrument pilots need to look outside, when able. It is possible to be on an IFR flight plan in good weather, under radar monitoring by ATC, and still hit another aircraft! Flying by visual cues is something that is not learned in flight simulator or not normally done. Flight Simulator is better for instrument flying than visual flying. I love Flight Simulator and fly it almost everyday. Slow down and pay attention to the details. There is so much more to aviation than just flying a large jet from New York to London. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I agree to some points of your state(although i find it a litle heavy...)
I only disagree,if im allowed to,in one point ➡

no one wanted to hear about the beauty of flight

If no one wants to hear to speak or to see about the beauty of flights so whats the meaning of screenshot gallery or of the screenshot topic in the off-topic forum?

Besides ,in my humble opinion, the beauty of a flight is something that has to do with personal tastes and its a compination of all of them you write in your post,those you like and those you dont like.... 😉

Friendly and OF COURSE not offended to you dear CRJCapt. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think Greekman summed it up nicely. Whilst I agree that there is a beauty to flying, I believe that the beauty of actual flight is different in everyones case. To me, it is a matter of personal taste.

Just my view anyway 😉

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Punk 👍

You know I'll give you anything you want.
Your best bet is to go to http://www.simviation.com/downloads.html and slowly go through every page of vintage aircraft.
They have one of the best selections of all the big download sites.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Punk 👍

You know I'll give you anything you want.
Your best bet is to go to http://www.simviation.com/downloads.html and slowly go through every page of vintage aircraft.
They have one of the best selections of all the big download sites.

Radar

Thanks a lot for your kindly offer dear RadarMan,im sure that you would ... 😉

Thanks also for the link. 😉 Im going to bare myself there for a few(hmmm...probably more than a few) minutes and dig for treasures... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I agree with your point . Did not mean to offend anyone. Most of the postings just don't reflect my thoughts on aviation. Just thought that my thinking about aviation would fall on deaf ears since more people seemed to be interested in Auto land than DC-3. I avoid expressing my opinion. On this post, I was surprised to see someone acknowledge the beauty of flight. Didn't mean to come over as heavy as I guess that I did. I'm just very passionate about flying and decided to write. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I agree with your point . Did not mean to offend anyone. Most of the postings just don't reflect my thoughts on aviation. Just thought that my thinking about aviation would fall on deaf ears since more people seemed to be interested in Auto land than DC-3. I avoid expressing my opinion. On this post, I was surprised to see someone acknowledge the beauty of flight. Didn't mean to come over as heavy as I guess that I did. I'm just very passionate about flying and decided to write. 😞

Its all cool. No one is offended, just people in a forum, expressing their humble, reasonable opinions 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

First of all..YOU DIDNT OFFENDED NOONE. ❗

Sorry Embarassed if the word heavy disturbs you Crying or Very sad I hadnt write it on this purpose my friend.
I just only meant that you seem a litle sad about how we view the Flights in general ,and i just answer to you in order to give you another view of this point.
Of course you've done very well by writting all these things with a very clear(even for a brick in English like me Crying or Very sad )and knowledgable way.
As i have told in past in other posts the meaning is,all of us to express our feelings and thoughts..we must not wait all of the world to agree...or to disagree...The point is to open our minds..and you do it with a very decent and simpe way.

And please i would like to asking you to feel free and write anything you think and anything you like. 😉

Freindly 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Jon was faster than me... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

😉 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Jon was faster than me... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

🙂)

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

Do you have the planes to put those props on? 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

WarHawk42 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

ROFL ROFL ROFL

The devil made me do it. 🙂 Twisted Evil

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

WarHawk42 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

ROFL ROFL ROFL

The devil made me do it. 🙂 Twisted Evil

Fear Fear Fear

😂 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

ROFL

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...