Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Windows Vista

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

For anyone interested in Windows Vista there is a story on it here.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060105/bs_nm/electronics_show_dc

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Keep clicking on "Next" and you'll see screenshots of most of the Windows Vista layout.
Very nice and loaded with new features, and this is from a beta. What else will it have.

http://desktoppipeline.com/storypics/vistapb2/vista_pict1.jhtml

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I will probably treat Vista like I have treated all new operating systems from MS. I will wait a while before I consider it and see how it works out.

XP has some features I like, but over all I liked Windows 98 better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Not me, I will pre order it is possible. Look to the future my man, give up the past. The world is ahead of you. not behind.
Onward, forward to the greater glory of a new OS from MS...the best is yet to come. Dreams may come true with this system. Your life will be fulfilled.

(I can't think of any more sayings).
Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

ROFL You own stock in Microsoft?

One thing I am sure of, it will be a bigger program and take up more memory that XP, each version of MS OS gets more and more bloated. I just wish MS would give you an option of what you want to install, there is a lot of XP I never use and don't even have configured. Like outlook express and messenger. It just takes up drive space.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

ROFL You own stock in Microsoft?

One thing I am sure of, it will be a bigger program and take up more memory that XP, each version of MS OS gets more and more bloated. I just wish MS would give you an option of what you want to install, there is a lot of XP I never use and don't even have configured. Like outlook express and messenger. It just takes up drive space.

😁 It will be huge and from what I've read it will take (are you ready) 512mb up from 128mb for XP to run it properly.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Watch the price of memory go up. There will be a rush on memory to upgrade enough to use it and still run programs.

Wall Bashing Help!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thats a reason to start thinking of IRAMs... ❓

I remind an old topic of mine. :arrow

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/10022/i-ramthe-relief-of-hard-disk-drive/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Not me, I will pre order it is possible. Look to the future my man, give up the past. The world is ahead of you. not behind.
Onward, forward to the greater glory of a new OS from MS...the best is yet to come. Dreams may come true with this system. Your life will be fulfilled.

(I can't think of any more sayings).
Radar

😳 WOW....

Spechless 😀

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Thats a reason to start thinking of IRAMs... ❓

I remind an old topic of mine. :arrow

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/10022/i-ramthe-relief-of-hard-disk-drive/

That's very interesting, but the way I read that it is storage ram not operating ram. You would still need enough ram to operate the computer.

That is somewhat like creating a ram disk on your computer now. I did that with a program I wrote where I wanted fast access to the data. You create a ram disk out of a portion of your operating memory.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Yes indeed its a storage ram Warhawk,but i was thinking that if we use an IRAM in order to install there our OS with no otrher programs in it(for the rest programs we stay with Hard Drives),and use a 1gb memory(which starting to be a common number of RAM for most users)maybe Vista runs well.

Just a thought. Dont Know

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

That could work very well if you could get the computer to boot up from it. Much quicker than booting from the hard drive.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

That could work very well if you could get the computer to boot up from it. Much quicker than booting from the hard drive.

That was exactly the basic point of my thought dear Warhawk.
Im in the mode to buy an IRAM,but its still not avaliable from PC stores.
When i find it i will buy it for sure and im thinking to start with 2Gbs of ram on it.
In a small research i have done through net i find out that the cost(only for the device not the Rams)Will about 50-60 euros.(of course nothing officialy confirmed yet)so if we add the cost of the 2x1gb Rams(which is about 140euros each one 😕) we have a 350euros of total cost.Not cheap but for seek people like me(and maybe not only me)its an investment that has to be done.

Notice:The prices are refering to Greece market.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

That's a good thought Greekman, I hadn't even heard of that product before. I know that program I was talking about where I created the RAM drive worked great for what I was doing. I was doing a lot of changes to data and the speed was great. The hard drive can't even begin to compare with it for speed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

That's a good thought Greekman, I hadn't even heard of that product before. I know that program I was talking about where I created the RAM drive worked great for what I was doing. I was doing a lot of changes to data and the speed was great. The hard drive can't even begin to compare with it for speed.

Is there a link or an article for this interesting program you are reffering to,Warhawk?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

[
Is there a link or an article for this interesting program you are reffering to,Warhawk?

Wall Bashing I don't even have it any more. I wrote the program years ago and used it. It was just for my own use and was a specialty program that wouldn't have interested anyone that I know of. The concept of using memory for a RAM drive worked extremely well for what I was doing. I simply loaded the entire file in, made all the changes I needed to make and wrote the file back to the hard drive. It saved a lot of time and wear on the hard drive.

When you created the RAM dirve the computer assigned it a letter just like the hard drive. You accessed it just like a hard drive, it was just many, many times faster.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Its ok Warhawk.No problem. 😀
Thanks for let me know about such a program 😉

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Im defantly looking forward to Windows Vista 😀 what is the expected realese date for Vista ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I dont know the exact day(maybe some other...)But have a look at this ➡

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx

... just for a first touch. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I have been looking around a bit and I think the expected realese date is In the summer 2006 well it siad holiday season so I asume that means summer. FSX is going to coming out at the same time 😀 I think these are some Screenshots of the next FS

http://www.simflight.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7502

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

If the textures are so realistic as in the screenshots you have the kindnes to share dear Ranald,i wonder how much they will improved with add-on textures etc... 😉

Thanks for the link. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

If the textures are so realistic as in the screenshots you have the kindnes to share dear Ranald,i wonder how much they will improved with add-on textures etc... 😉

Thanks for the link. 😉

Yea I think its going to be awesome and even better add-on texture I better start saving up for a new commputer 😂

some more
http://www.fs2004.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=1

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Great Ranald 😉 If FSX contains this Goose( ❤️ )i will surely buy it from net before it comes to my country... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Well, I've looked at all the pretty pictures and have decided that except for the eye candy, there is little the Vista has to offer that can't be added to XP. So what's the point?

I'll stick with XP. I think the MS mantra is, "If it's pretty, they will buy".

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Well, I've looked at all the pretty pictures and have decided that except for the eye candy, there is little the Vista has to offer that can't be added to XP. So what's the point?

There is no point.Personally i have jumped form the one point(Vista)to other point(FSX)cause of dear Ranalds post.
I havent in my mind a connection between Vista and FSX(although maybe there is a possibility to face up with something like that...)

My opinion is (from curiosity and as im an update maniac)i will get Windows Vista.(maybe all of us the first users are the victims of Microsofts customers check out,and help them to create the Vistas SPs.... Mad )

When i had Windows2000 i was very satisfied but when i see only XPs enviroment i say...i want it,i want it,i want it... Baby Baby Baby ...and i get it. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

FSX will run on XP OS but it will run at its best on Vista thats proberly one of the main reasons I hope to get it also no Viruses for a while (They will proberly come up with one in no time at all Mad )

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Support for XP Home runs out the end of this year.
As in the past MS may extend it but they want to sell Vista, how long will they extend it if at all.
I'm not going to run a system that can't be updated.
Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I think the Mantra is we have to keep coming up with something new to keep the cash rolling in.

I will wait a while and let them work out a few of the bugs, there are always bugs in MS software.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

As in the past MS may extend it but they want to sell Vista, how long will they extend it if at all.
Radar

RM you have a point there. but my main concern is how expensive it will be to make my PC 64-bit. I've worked it out I will need teh following:

New Motherboard (PCI-E)
New P4 or AMD Chip
New graphics Card

This not going to be cheap 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Liono
RM you have a point there. but my main concern is how expensive it will be to make my PC 64-bit. I've worked it out I will need teh following:

New Motherboard (PCI-E)
New P4 or AMD Chip
New graphics Card

😳 Only one GFX card?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

New Motherboard (PCI-E)
New P4 or AMD Chip
New graphics Card

This not going to be cheap 😀

I need a completely new computer, I will keep the 22" monitor I have and that's all.
That's going to be many $$$$$$$$$$!
Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I will keep the 22" monitor I have and that's all.

😳 😳 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If Microsoft have any sense, they will rip out IE of the new OS, spend some money and integrate Firefox into Vista.
It will save us all a lot of trouble. Just think of the countless anti-spyware and -malware programs that have been written and we are forced to run on a regular basis due to the existence of IE and Outlook.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I use I.E. very rarely and I don't even configure Outlook Express or Messenger to run. Maybe that's why I have never had a virus that I know of.