The point?

Hello, I'd like to find out from you guys why you play these simulators. I owned century of flight for a few months before selling it. The problem was, there's nothing to do. I mean, you take a plane up, fly some circles do an approach or two. So what?

I love flight simulators, but I need more than just an empty sandbox to keep me interested. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I couldn't find any hint of "missions" or even custom scenarios in any of the MSFS I've owned.

scenarios like "Fly this heavily loaded cessna to Anchorage during rough weather"

or "Make this approach with X-component disabled"

or even "plan and fly the most efficient route between points A and B"

Thing of that nature would entice me to buy these simulators.

Answers 31 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

Heres the difference between you and most of us others who use MSFS - you look upon it as a game, we look upon it as a program or a simulator.

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

To me its not a game a game is something you play
Sf9 to me is a skill! And that’s the enjoyment of it to know we can take off and land a B747 and lots more most would not know how to start it let alone take off and land!

I see your point, SeanGa. I suppose that's why I've always favoured the war-oriented variations of these simulators. Though you have to admit that the things I suggested would be entertaining to even those who don't want a "game".

Being able to have a virtual pilot's career can't be a bad idea.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

Well, as far as I know there actually are several missions you can fly - missions which already are included in the game. Besides that, you have the whole world and all possible weather configurations available - you could create whatever mission you would like!

On the other hand though, if you look upon FS as a game, I assume you wouldn't know much about aviation and thus there would be no point in trying these missions because it would be way too hard.. but of course, it could be fun nonetheless

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I'd like to find out from you guys why you play these simulators. I owned century of flight for a few months before selling it. The problem was, there's nothing to do. I mean, you take a plane up, fly some circles do an approach or two. So what?

I love flight simulators, but I need more than just an empty sandbox to keep me interested. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I couldn't find any hint of "missions" or even custom scenarios in any of the MSFS I've owned.

scenarios like "Fly this heavily loaded cessna to Anchorage during rough weather"

My friend allow me to notice that you dont search it a lot and probably because you dont have the flame of flights.

The point isnt if FS is a game or not.
The point is if your able to go with FS.
There are thousands of add-ons for this game which make it more realistic than you can think of...you just have to search and be patient.

I figure out that you excpect something different than this you have in your mind when you buy it.

All the other games has an end.FS no.This is the major difference. ❗

Friendly 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Corgi First Officer

I agree with Greekman.

True there are hundreds of add ons for this sim, and the realism is amazing.

I need to be mentally stimulated and I see MSFS as a huge challenge.

Why not try MSFS again and attempt to land even the Cessna 172 in windy conditions.

Regards

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

There is nothing you have mentioned that you can't do in FS. All that is required is that you THINK!

Things I've done include overflying countries I have no permission to fly in at no more than 500 ft. AGL. Flying from McMurdo Station to Palmer Station in a C-130, landing on the ice to deliver emergency supplies. Flying the same C-130 and landing where no airport was to extract a covert operations team and then taking off again without hitting the many trees in the area.

The difference is that you want FS to tell you what to do. I create the scenarios and fly them. That said, I still find more enjoyment in flying for a virtual airline and delivering passengers and cargo safely and on time.

Last edited by CrashGordon on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total

You guys all make good points. But...

SeanGa, I don't look at FS as a game, really. And I am quite competant when I fly in MSFS or the Aces High server. I'm now taking lessons at my local airport on the basics of flight. (I am loving it!)

Anyway what I was trying to say was that I wished MSFS had more depth, not necessarily more realism or more game elements.

You guys say that having something like a career would make this program more gamelike, whereas I say the opposite! I say that flying in this virtual world with no consequences for your actions(being late, crashing, whatever) is far more gamelike.

Depth in gameplay and responsibility for your actions does not turn a Simulator into a game.

Do you guys agree?

crashGordon:"you want FS to tell you what to do"

I do admit that this is what I want. The reason: I can make arbitrary rules for myself like "Stay below 200 ft AGL while making this flight" or "don't use the rudder once" but the program doesn't know I've made these rules, therefore there aren't any consequences to breaking them. That's sort of what I want!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

crashGordon:"you want FS to tell you what to do"

I do admit that this is what I want. The reason: I can make arbitrary rules for myself like "Stay below 200 ft AGL while making this flight" or "don't use the rudder once" but the program doesn't know I've made these rules, therefore there aren't any consequences to breaking them. That's sort of what I want!

Well its a matter of personality i guess...I dont blame you for this. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your looking for a purpose to fly all of these "adventures" can be downloaded and used.
Look them over and see what you like.
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Michael+doherty&CatID=fs2004&Go=Search
Radar

Thanks for the link, RadarMan, that seems like it could be some nice flying. Too bad I no longer own MSFS! I'm going to wait for FS-X and see what it has to offer. If it's more of the same, I suppose I'll just stick to my warplane sims. They seem to be the only sims that give you things to to, which is too bad.

Pro Member Chief Captain

FSX is supposed to have some mission oriented features. The problem is this does nothing but contribute to code bloat and disk space use.

Whatever they do create, I'd guess that less than half of them will be anything a sane pilot would do. BTW, flying a heavily loaded 172 in bad weather is something I would never do. Come to think of it, heavily loading a 172 is something I'd be unlikely to do in good weather. That plane is not a powerhouse and leaves you with too little a margine of safety if you are near MTOW.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

MTOW

Read

Pro Member Chief Captain

MTOW =Maximum Takeoff Weight

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

MTOW =Maximum Takeoff Weight

Thank you very much Crash. Bow Down 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain

De nada.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

De nada.

Τι σημαινει αυτο;

Pro Member Chief Captain

Pazhalusta. (Sorry, I can't do that in the Cyrillic alphabet.)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Κανενα προβλημα,φιλεμου,εχω πιασει το νοημα... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

Κανενα προβλημα,φιλεμου,εχω πιασει το νοημα... 😉

Uh huh.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I'm kind of suprised no one has directed our guest toward FsPassengers.

www.fspassengers.com

That's an excellent add-on that includes some mission components, as well as the ability to make money flying passengers around to various destinations. It should add more to the "depth" that you're looking for.

Cambridge Guest

FS gives you the raw materials to be able to answer the question "if you could fly any aircraft you want anywhere in the world you want, what would you fly and where would you fly it?"

I feel so spoilt for choice that I have trouble committing to the flights I start!

FsPassengers is very much in line with what I am talking about. $60 for MSFS and then $40 for actual gameplay(the mod) is a little steep, but if it is compatible with FSX I might.....maybe go for it.

Thanks all.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

I'm kind of suprised no one has directed our guest toward FsPassengers.

www.fspassengers.com

That's an excellent add-on that includes some mission components, as well as the ability to make money flying passengers around to various destinations. It should add more to the "depth" that you're looking for.

I find it useless.Thats why. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Oh ye of little faith... even Posky have released some of their rather realistically handling heavies with inbuilt flights/missions that would give the diehard payware enthusiasts sweaty palms.

And then there are among many others the creations of Bill Lyons and Co., just look at this page (which reflects only a small part of their work) : ➡ http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004&Sort=Name&ScanMode=0&Name=&FileName=&Author=bill+lyons&DLID=&Page=2

FS boring? I must be losing my mind.

F-16BAF Guest

Lol,

I think this discussion can go on for I long time...

My opinion:

I'm dreaming to become a fighter pilot (f-16 belgian air force) and this is the major reason I have FS.
When I start FS I’ll spread my wings and fly away.For some other people is FS good for a nice relaxing game.But for many reasons FS is a useful game.And yes some people think "omg just flying circles" but If you think farther you see that FS has many useful things.It keeps you're mind concentrated,it is relaxing,............ Embarassed and when the pilots in an airplane get sick you can take over control Embarassed

Oh well,this looks a littl weird but I think there are many people that think tesame.

Grtz 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i agree with the above, i also think that with some good scenery you do get to see some great sights and think 'wow' - at least with a big ass monitor and graphics card.

it helps no end i believe if you wish to become a pilot, you can go into your lesson clued up on what each part is and what is doesn, how to read gauges and much more - although don;t go thinking you can fly a real plane.

here's a question: if there was some emergency, say you were a passenger in a boeing 757 - a plane you knew well on flight sim - would you be able to save the day successfully in real life?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

You're right F-16BAF, I've thought that way myself! What would happen if something happened to the pilots? lol.

I don't think I'd be able to land the plane perfectly, but I think I'd make it without killing anyone.. some injuries maybe, lol.

With the help of the ATC it wouldn't be impossible to land the plane for me I think Wink

Guest1 Guest

Well... you would be a hell lot more cluey than if you knew nothing at all.

Altho IRL if the pilot had a heartattack or something, personally ild much rather have to be in control of landing a cessna than a 747 😛

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Some of the origional flights come to mind. Have you flown at Kittyhawk, mail to be flown in serveral early day aircraft. Flying the DC3 in Alaska on some early airline routes. Flying jetliner out of England to Europiean destinations. Recreating Lindy's crossing of the Atlantic. The race from England to Austraila. etc. Seems like some scripted missions the came standard to the game. The real thing I like is trying to navigate as close to real life as I can make possible. Don't use the gps. Fly until you see the river follow the river north if there are a lot of islands your on track if not fly south until you find the land mark you are looking for the set your heading try to compenstate for the wind and see if you can find the next land mark. Learning to use VOR for navigation etc. Then you might try to fly a different aircraft over the same route.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...