Cockpit Seating

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Something I was thinking about today, does the captain always sit in the left hand seat of the cockpit ???? What made me think this was, what about aircraft that are fly-by-wire and the captain is right handed ??? and the joystick/control is on the left ??? I'm right handed, and I use the Saitek Cyborg Evo which is a fully adjustable right handed joystick.
I dont think I could fly/control any aircraft with my left hand. Do right handed captains have a choice of seating (right hand seat) ??? in order to use the right hand control ??? or is there a more simple answer/solution. Read

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Conventionally, Captains have always sat in the left hand seat. In Airbuses, what ever hand you are most comfortable with, you will always sit in the seat respective of your job title. The joystick in the cockpit is configured for either hand so it feels comfortable what ever hand you use. Apparently, you get used to it 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

During normal operations, the Captain always sits on the left side of airline aircraft in the US. Most aircraft only have the tiller wheel for ground steering on the left side.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...