SearchSearch 

Computer opinion again

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well i'm jsut gonna tell you straight up. Can you tell me which computer I can get for gaming that is roughly around $1000? Thanks.

6 Responses

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

do you mean like a dell or one that you build?

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

I dont know. I looked at Dell that their E510 looked good once I added stuff on but I cant convince my dad to get the XPS series though. What other computers are good?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Give Dell a miss or any other 'Brand Computer' for that matter. Have a reputable company build one to your own specs and tell them what your budget is. Make sure they give you a decent warranty.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

it depends what you're after really, Dell offer excellent after sales service but for gaming, their PC's will not be the best value

You can either order all the parts yourself and build it or get one built from a reputable company.

Some companies will customise them for you but again, you end up paying a bit extra for the service.. if for example you looked at the spec of a pre-built PC on overclockers.co.uk and looked at the price of just the parts, they are charging you about 150 pounds for the build, which would get you an upgrade on one of the components.

Obviously if you build it yourself, you only have yourself to rely on for after sales service.

I don't know what country you're based in - if in the UK, www.overclockers.co.uk certainly know what they are doing and have many pre-built machine configs to choose from.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well I am based in the US. Theres a store where I live called Milwaukee PC. Basically I've gotten both of my computers from them and they have both worked great. they basically customized my current one which runs FS9 good. But I might go there to get something more.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

If you have a company you know and trust and better still they will let you customise the PC, I would say to stick with them and talk over your budget and the different component options with them.

I would say from a general point of view

get an AMD system
get a socket 939 CPU ( good future proofing)
get 2GB of branded RAM
get a PCI Express system (not an AGP graphics crad based system)

Pay as much as you can afford for a motherboard, remember your whole system relies on it - so it is worthwhile spending an extra penny or 2 to get a good one.

read online reviews of any componentry candidates