Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FS2004 + Sidewinder joystick to USB

mzoeller Guest

I have FS2004 used on an XP machine with a gameport. I have a new XP box without a game port. I have the Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro and I purchased a female 15 pin adapter to USB for my new box. The new XP machine without the gameport does not see teh joystick.

Is there anyway to convert my 15 pin joystick with the usb converter cable to work in Windows XP and FS2004?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

To be honest I don't think they are compatible with XP.
I have the Sidewinder Precision Pro2 USB and it works fine but when you have to use a USB adapter that usually means that the support for the "peripheral" stops at 9X.
You can call their support but it'll wind up costing you more than a new stick.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I have the Sidewinder Precision Pro2 USB and it works fine but when you have to use a USB adapter that usually means that the support for the "peripheral" stops at 9X.

Radar

Actually my Precision Pro came with a game port plug and USB adapter and it works fine connected USB. I've used it with both Windows 98 and XP with no problems. XP automatically picks it up which makes me wonder about his adapter.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

Actually my Precision Pro came with a game port plug and USB adapter and it works fine connected USB. I've used it with both Windows 98 and XP with no problems. XP automatically picks it up which makes me wonder about his adapter.

Warhawk,
I bet your adapter was made by the same company that makes the stick. I wonder where he could get one like that.
We've had a few people complain that they didn't work, maybe they just bought cheaper ones.

I wish you luck bud!
Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Warhawk,
I bet your adapter was made by the same company that makes the stick. I wonder where he could get one like that.
We've had a few people complain that they didn't work, maybe they just bought cheaper ones.

I wish you luck bud!
Radar

Since it came with the stick I bet you are right and that could be the difference. My stick isn't new by any stretch of the imagination though, I bought it in early 2000 well before XP came out.

I don't know if trying a different brand of adapter would solve the problem or not. It could get expensive after a while.

Are you running yours on USB?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have to run it on USB it never came with any other "plug".
I bought it a few months before when I bought IL2-FB (which I don't care for).at CompUSA.
Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Maybe when USB became more common that was the way they made them. USB was still fairly new when I bought mine.

mzoeller Guest

I purchased a Belkin 15 pin female to USB converter. It just doesn't seem to be picked up by XP.

What model of USB joysticks are good to work with FS2004? I see Logitech has some, but obviously don't want to buy something that doesn't work with FS2004.

I'm thinking of just buying a sound card that has a game port on it and I should be able to continue to use my MS Force Feedback Pro joystick?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The good ones are.

X52 is fantastic.

Just make sure you get one with a twist handle for the rudder, and a throttle.

MS FF Sidewinder.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=294672

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

mzoeller wrote:

I purchased a Belkin 15 pin female to USB converter. It just doesn't seem to be picked up by XP.

What model of USB joysticks are good to work with FS2004? I see Logitech has some, but obviously don't want to buy something that doesn't work with FS2004.

I'm thinking of just buying a sound card that has a game port on it and I should be able to continue to use my MS Force Feedback Pro joystick?

As stated I have the Precision Pro stick and have had it for several years now, but I just bought the Saitek X-52 and it is nothing short of great. It is a bit on the expensive side, but is full of features and the smoothest stick I have ever used. It comes with a separate throttle quadrant which is very nice.

For anyone running Windows 98 I would say buyers beware, I have not been able to get it to work in that OS and neither has Saitek yet, but it works great with XP.

mzoeller Guest

Thanks for all of the help and advice

Flywithme Guest

If you don't mind soldering - have a look at USB controllers that have joystick interface in Windows and are sold for DIY builders - like this, for example
http://www.leobodnar.com/

calvin trager Guest

I've got a M$ Sidewinder w/gameport that works fine with FS2004 using WIN XP SP2.

I bought a midi/gameport pci card at compusa and it works fine.

In fact I had to do a total re-install XP and didnt think to save my drivers for the midi/gameport. I did find the paper docs from compusa and on the back was fmi.compusa.com website to download the midi/gameport drivers.

I works great. I've had this superb joystick since '99, I'd hate to have to junk it and pay M$ any more $$ for another.

Flywithme Guest

There will be no gameport support in M$ Vista.