Does this look right to you?

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Hi,

I have just taken off in my Airbus A319. I am using Fspassengers so I know that my take off weight was 79% of the maximum take off weight.

I am crusing at FL290, but I am concerned that I am using such a high percentage of N1.

Am I crusing too fast?

Could anyone point out any obvious mistakes?

Thanks
Leachus

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

If anything, you're cruising too slowly. It should be near M0.68 - M0.72 (or near 300 kts).

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Nothing wrong with the N1 FL290 is a bit low for that class of aircraft. I guess you are on a "short hop"? (At 79% MTOW you are relatively light)
As suggested you do want to be closer to mach .79 but at 290 you may not get to that speed before hitting the barbers pole.
So long as you are not "in the red" with the guages you will be alright!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Bindolaf wrote:

If anything, you're cruising too slowly. It should be near M0.68 - M0.72 (or near 300 kts).

I agree, it should be around M0.75 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

PH wrote:

Nothing wrong with the N1 FL290 is a bit low for that class of aircraft. I guess you are on a "short hop"? (At 79% MTOW you are relatively light)
As suggested you do want to be closer to mach .79 but at 290 you may not get to that speed before hitting the barbers pole.
So long as you are not "in the red" with the guages you will be alright!

Welcome back PH, haven't seen you around in a while 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Yeah, me neither. Welcome back mate! 😉

By the way, the most economical cruising speed of the A319 is Mach 0.78 😛

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

leachus2002,

I believe that the manual calls for 280 knots above 18,000 feet. You have nothing in the red as previously mentioned you have plenty of fule assuming that you don't have to go beyond your flight limit. I say throttles up to 280 knots.

Regards,

🍻

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Thanks for all the info peeps but surely as I am crusing at 203 knots at 81% of N1, then if I push it up to 280 knots then I will be nearing full %age of N1 yea?

Leachus

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Are my eyes deceiving me (could be, it's almost 1 am in Holland) or is your indicated barometric pressure (in MB) approx. 10x what it should be?
(don't tell me you have a fancy decimal reading! Wink )
If it is, then you're certainly not flying at FL290 😂

[Edit] In fact, looking at your attitude indicator I'd say A) something is causing a lot of drag or B) you are in fact flying way too high (too thin air)
with that nose up attitude it looks to me like you're nowhere close to having the lift you plane should have at FL290 and 81% N1.
Im not familiar with the Airbus A319 but wouldn't your (very low?) fuel flow in that screeny also support the theory you are flying higher than FL290?

Coming to think of it, I remember that I had sort of the same problem a while ago, having trouble accelerating through to normal cruise speed in a B767 at around FL330. After I slowly descended a few thousand feet and let the A/c accelerate to normal cruise speed I flew level for a while, then climbed again -slowly- to FL330. I then was able to maintain normal cruise speed and a normal attitude.

The issue I guess was that I climbed too quickly and at too low speed. The autopilot tried to maintain altitude and my engines just didn't have enough thrust left to 'push' the a/c into normal attitude without losing altitude...
Maybe give it a go..just disable the Alt. hold switch and trim for 0ยบ nose up could do the trick...

*oh - and don't forget to disarm the auto-throttle Wink

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...