Graphics stutter or pause

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Guys, I've reinstalled WinXP and FS2004 (along with proper graphics drivers etc). However I get a brief 'pause' or 'stutter' in the graphics every 5-15 seconds or so - it is smooth between stutters.

I've tried dropping the resolution to 800x600 and decreasing all the auto-gen options, also playing with the anti-alias and the other settings. Nothing else is running in the background that would affect it.

Has anyone come across this before please?

Dave

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Could you give some details of the system that you are running? RAM details and graphics card details.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Sure will, though didn't in my original post because it ran fine before I reinstalled it Wink

P3500
128Mb X700 Graphics, PCI-Express
2Gb RAM
Asus AN8-SLi Deluxe mobo.
WindowsXP Pro SP2 (I tried the swap file on & off)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

After your re-install it is quite possible that your framerates are stuck at 10fps by default. Sounds silly I know, but worthwhile checking.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your computer should handle the sim quite nicely. Set the frame rate (in settings) to 27, lower the clouds as much as possible, shut off shadows and lower the traffic also.
That'll free up resources for those graphic intensive areas that you fly through
You may have too many programs running in the background also, try this program, many have found it invaluable.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/

Let us know how you do.

Radar

I've got upwards of 57fps nice & smooth.

It isn't the frame rate problem because it'll be ticking away nicely and all of a sudden "pause" or "stutter" for about half a second. This is the issue, not overall frame rate.

Tailhook wrote:

After your re-install it is quite possible that your framerates are stuck at 10fps by default. Sounds silly I know, but worthwhile checking.

Guest1 Guest

You could also try earlier graphics card drivers, thats if you had updated your drivers after your XP re-install.

Also could try re-installing FS2004

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

Isn't this something that can happen as the hard drive is accessed to load new scenery sections? (Not that I have any idea what to do about it, sorry about that.)

HL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Hi There

I have the very same motherboard as you and I have experienced the issue with my nvidia card.. trouble is that looks like an ATI..

try going back a version or 2 on your drivers to see if it fixes it

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I just wonder if it could be a buffering problem, but don't ask me for a cure, sorry!

My other thought, which I try to do myself, is defragging. I try to keep my 'C' partition well defragged. If anyone uses Perfect Disk, and analyses their partitions out of curiosity, you could get a surprise. And yes, I know that MS and Uncle Tom Cobblers, an' all, say not to defrag, but I find I get an improvement whenever I defrag. I don't defrag the other parts so often, well 6 HDs, with 20 partitions, 800Gb in all.

One other idea comes to mind, I use ASUS Mobos, find them very user friendly. in which case have you checked out if there is a BIOS update available.

HTMH.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

defragging makes good sense simply because the data is ordered on the disk in such a way that allows faster access..

the head in the hard drive doesn't have to move as much to get to the data it needs so read access is quicker.

makes writing easier too i believe

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...