Reverse thrusts

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

When should I engage them? Ivebeen penalized in FSP for using them before 60kts, but Ive seen several vids of people flying in flight sim. and they engage them one the front wheel is on the ground. I believe Ive seen it doen in real life as well.

I also got busted for using it to back up at the gates, FSP said I was going over 60kts when I used it 🙄 🙄 🙄

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

FsP isn't saying you were over 60 Knots when using it (well it shouldn't be any way 🙄 ), it was saying that you cannot use reverse thrust when you are under 60 KIAS, and even 80 KIAS in some aircraft. So when you are landing, engage reverse thrust, then reduce thrust to idle at around 80 Knots and then just use the brakes. This is so, the engines don't ingest anything they shouldn't.

This also means you can't use them at the gate, you have to use SHIFT + P for that. Aircraft that have engines high above the ground often use reverse thrust instead of pushback such as the MD88, but not sure whether FsP recognises that 😉

P.S Make sure you don't use the reverse thrust if you only have one engine aswell.

Hope that helps 😉

Last edited by Jonathan (99jolegg) on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

Thanks!

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I've just been experimenting with an Embraer "SuperTucano" which has a fairly high landing speed and with brakes alone it certainly will run out of brakes as you can't engage them till the speed drops off.

As I touched down throttle was right down and I pressed and held F2 which reversed the pitch of the propellor and then opened the throttle to bleed off the speed. It worked a treat and I started braking around 60knots.

Not tried on a jet yet as there are still plenty more propellor jobs to master but I think the first I try will be either the Folland Gnat (if it has reverse thrust) or the BAE "Hawk".

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

99jolegg wrote:

P.S Make sure you don't use the reverse thrust if you only have one engine aswell.

Hope that helps 😉

Why is this? I never knew that before!!

Please enlighten me! 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Because with one engine, it creates unnecessary asymetric thrust, and causes the aircraft to yaw drastically. When you are going at around 140 KIAS, and you suddenly "pull" the aircraft back (using one engine reverse thrust) it will cause the aircraft to turn violently, and possibly topple, especially in wet weather conditions 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...