Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Which Airports/Towers have VATSIM Controllers

Hi again guys...

Im a VATSIM newbie and am only just beginning to read all the pilot training etc, and discovering how it all works.

One question that comes to mind after reading the ATC instructions...How do I know which airports/towers have VATSIM controllers? ALso, if I am to request IFR clearance, how do I know which frequency to use? The clearance or ground frequencies may not be staffed, but the tower might be, so how do I know which one to contact?

Many Thanks for any help you give

Cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Hi again guys...
One question that comes to mind after reading the ATC instructions...How do I know which airports/towers have VATSIM controllers?

Go to www.vatsim.net and click on 'Who's Online' on the left hand side. It will tell you all of the

Anonymous wrote:

ALso, if I am to request IFR clearance, how do I know which frequency to use? The clearance or ground frequencies may not be staffed, but the tower might be, so how do I know which one to contact?

So basically, the gist of below is that if for example, you want to file a flight plan and Delivery frequency is not staffed, then you go to the next available controller in the chain. (DEL, GND, TWR, DEP/APP, CTR)

Here is an extract from the Vatsim website:

Delivery – DEL

Clearance Delivery or (“DEL”) is the first controller in the chain. This controller is responsible for reviewing your flightplan and giving you your initial clearance. The route or altitude you have requested in your flightplan may or may not be available and you are expected to fly according to the route and altitude given to you by the Clearance Delivery controller. Once they have read a clearance to you, you are expected to repeat it back to them (read back) for confirmation. Once you have done so and accepted the clearance you can think of it as having signed a contract with the controllers to fly as directed. If you don’t understand it, ask. Don’t try to fake it. The controllers will be expecting you to follow this route. Delays to others and other problems can result if you deviate without clearance to do so. If there is no specific “DEL” controller online the next higher position available (GND, TWR, DEP, APP or CTR) assumes this function.

Note: The absence of some control positions may not be simply because nobody’s on line, but because in the real world those positions do not exist at that facility. You may also find multiple control levels in some locations, an East and West Approach controller for instance.

Ground – GND

The Ground Controller’s (GND) job is to separate, sequence and facilitate the ground movements of all aircraft that are within the movement area of the airport. This area usually includes all taxiways and runways but not necessarily the ramp or gate areas. If there is no specific “GND” controller online the next higher position available (TWR, DEP, APP or CTR) assumes this function.

Tower – TWR

The Tower Controller’s (TWR) job is to manage, sequence and separate traffic on the active runways of the airport. This includes clearance for take-off and landing. If there is no specific “TWR” controller online the next higher position available (DEP, APP or CTR) assumes this function.

Departure/Approach – DEP/APP

Departure and Approach Controllers control the airspace around major airports. Although the exact dimensions of their airspace can vary from place to place it is generally within a 30-40 mile radius of the airport extending to approximately 10,000ft AGL. They provide all radar services to all aircraft within this airspace separating them and usually providing arrivals with vectors to final approach. Often in VATSIM, the Approach Controller (APP) also acts as the Departure Controller (DEP). If there is no specific “DEP” or “APP” controller online the Center position (CTR) assumes this function.

Center – CTR

The Center Controller provides all control services to the entire airspace allotted to the “AirRouteTrafficControlCenter” or “FlightInformationRegion”. This includes separation services and usually approach vectors to smaller airports that do not have local Approach Controllers. Generally in VATSIM the Center Controller assumes some or all of the responsibilities of “lower” positions that are not currently staffed.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

How do I know which airports/towers have VATSIM controllers?

Go to www.avsim.com and search for ServInfo. Download and enjoy!

ALso, if I am to request IFR clearance, how do I know which frequency to use? The clearance or ground frequencies may not be staffed, but the tower might be, so how do I know which one to contact?

Your connection program (Squawkbox3 or FSINN) will have a little "window" with which ATC is in range and what the frequency is (at least FSINN does and I recommend using it). ServInfo lists the frequencies too though.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Sqawkbox 3 has the same feature of displaying controllers within range. The only problem I have with it is that every so often, it doesn't show up in the FS Modules menu and I have bail from FS, start SB3 & shut it down. Then I start FS again and iSB3 will usually appear.

I've tried FSINN, but in addition to its using more resources, I've encountered a problem of not being able to hear ATC traffic even when com1 is properly set.

BTW, I highly recommend using voice whenever possible. Typing and flying is like driving and using a cell phone. It might work, but then again, it might result in unexpected results. Shocked