Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FS 2004 "Ghost" Airport???

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

While I was flying a Cessna Skylane from Manhattan, KS to Whiteman Air Force Base, MO I discovered a large airport that appears to be fictional. The flight path skirted the south edge of Kansas City. About 15 miles SSE of downtown Kansas City there was a large airport with an 8,708 foot paved runway. On the flight sim map it was shown as Richards-Gebaur Memorial Airport. I have a current sectional chart of that area and there is no such airport shown on the chart. An 8700 foot runway would put it into the "big time" category, so if it really existed it would be on the current sectional chart.

I am inclined to think that this "ghost" airport is an "easter egg" that some microsoft programmer put in there. It appears to be a memorial to some guy named Richard Gebaur. Maybe he was a relative or friend of the microsoft guy and that was his way of keeping the relative/friend's name alive. Does anyone know anything about Richards-Gebaur Memorial Airport???

I took a "screen capture" of the airport from 7,000 feet but I doubt if I could get it into the photo gallery. Maybe someone else can do a "fly by" and check it out??? Ill

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It exists, I don't know why it's not on your charts.
I'll check more in the morning.

http://www.ohwy.com/mo/g/gvw.htm

Pro Member Trainee
Jim Glockner (jimmyglockner) Trainee

AOPA's Airport Directory does not list this airport. I will do more investigating as I have time.

Happy flying.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member Trainee

I am back. Did some further investigating. KGVW does exist in FS2004. However, AOPA does not list it. It appears this is an Easter egg.

Anyone have additional information concerning this airport?

Happy flying all.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sleep Blink Let me wake up Exclamation ROFL

I think it's a military AF base. (RICHARDS AFB)

http://www.aircraft-charter-world.com/airports/northamerica/missouri.htm

KGVW

Richards-Gebaur Memorial

Pro Member Trainee

Hello all. I did some investigating. Richards-Gebaur (KGVW) was an Air Refueling Squadron air base. It was closed in 1994.

Happy flying all.

JimmyGlockner

RG Guest

The airport was built as a small relief for the Downtown Kansas City Airport in the 1940s. The Air Force took it over in the 1950s and slowly abandoned it. Today, some smaller buildings are occupied by military reserves, and the tower is the offices of an environmental company (I work for it). The runway and taxi ways are staging areas for a car/truck/train transportation hub.

senorpepr Guest

Richards-Gebaur was an Air Force Base for several decades in southern Kansas City. I lived a few miles away from it for 18 years. As RG mentioned, the airport was built in the 1940s. The Air Force took it over in the 50s. Now, new businesses have moved in, the runway supports a transportation hub, and the Marine Corps uses the base for their reserves and some of their headquarters. Essentially, it is not a useable airport today, but just a few years ago this was an active airport. Not an "easter egg."