Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Oy Veh! WHAT piloting skills?

Pro Member Trainee
deKoven Trainee

Hmmmm, well today I landed a small Piper Cub at Friday Harbor but forgot it is a tail dragger. Went end over end for a couple minutes. Wound up between a couple hanger bldgs and then finally rolled out on the parking strip (right side up, even). Am I good?

I think I need to practice landings WAY more than I have. I can get inta the air pretty good now, at least in those bitty little planes. I won't tell what happened when I tried to take off in an FA/18. Embarassed

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Well, as most flying instructors say - if you can fly a Cessna 152 - you can fly a 747 😕 You will be surprised how smooth and positive larger aircraft are. I remember when I was flying for my PPL, the Cessna 152 is a real ba***rd to land in the wind, while the large PA-28 is much smother, can take the wind more. Practise in small, light aircraft - it really is the best way.

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

flyaway wrote:

Well, as most flying instructors say - if you can fly a Cessna 152 - you can fly a 747 😕 You will be surprised how smooth and positive larger aircraft are. I remember when I was flying for my PPL, the Cessna 152 is a real ba***rd to land in the wind, while the large PA-28 is much smother, can take the wind more. Practise in small, light aircraft - it really is the best way.

Indeed! (speaking from only simulated experience). I love practicing crosswind landings with my Flight One Cessna 152, as this little plane really gets blown about in the wind! After the C152, most other planes are very easy to land...especially my Dreamfleet Archer II (aka PA-28-181), which feels extremely comfortable and predictable in most situations. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Most of the big stuff is easier to land, the real problem is managing speed and whatnot uppon approach, as that can get difficult. During high winds i get real mad real fast, but most of the time, i land my..."Bus" on the runway. I remember the first time i was flying the 737, i saw the airport, and my copilot, my dad goes. "You gotta turn left more, the runway's over there"! Well, as it turns out, it was the TAXIWAY he decided that we wanted to land on, and...we did 😳 Wasn't too bad. Nearly ran over a dinky little plane though. Now my dad just watches. Banned