Fly Before You Buy

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

I've recently bought the Abacus Airbus fleet, and just had a look on their web site. They do a "fly before you buy" policy, where you download their aircraft, and fly for a 7 day period. If you like it, then you just purchase the registration key, just like FSPassengers. I quite like the look of the ATR-72-500 which for $10 I dont think is bad 🙂

I'm not saying that "fly before you buy" is something new, (it is to me) but I do think it is a good idea. Take a look, plenty of interesting software on offer.

http://www.abacuspub.com/

By the way, I dont work for them or anything. 🙂

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Just Flight also have a "try/fly before you buy" policy with thier spectacular Flying Club addon aircraft, including the Piper Seneca, Piper Tomahawk, Piper Warrior and Cessna 152, which can be found here at www.justflight.com/flyingclub

😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Try before you buy is one of the best things ever invented 👍
I just wish more would follow 😉

Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

I took the Abacus A-10 Warthog out for a trial spin. It flew so poorly that I immediately deleted it. Didn't give me a very good impression of Abacus.

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

I dont normally fly the light craft or the props, more of the heavies really. But I have downloaded their ATR-72-500 and am well impressed with everything it offers, graphics/sound, handle's real nice. I must admit though, some of the screen shots of some of their aircraft look very poor, not saying that they will after download, but Abacus have'nt done themselves any justice displaying poor screen shots of what their offering.

Thanks for the link cheekytrolly 🙂 I'll give it a click later and check them out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

fourby wrote:

...But I have downloaded their ATR-72-500 and am well impressed with everything it offers, graphics/sound, handle's real nice. I must admit though, some of the screen shots of some of their aircraft look very poor, not saying that they will after download, but Abacus have'nt done themselves any justice displaying poor screen shots of what their offering.

The FLIGHT ONE ATR 72-500 is widely known and very popular. Where can I find more information on the 'Abacus' Release? Read

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i downloaded 5 abacus crafts, none impressed me at all,i've seen a lot of better freeware, and would rather donate money.

reminds of things i wish to do in the near future. anyway,

i completely agree try before you buy is a good idea, most games have a demo right?

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Hi Hinch, as mentioned earlier, "fly before you buy" is a good idea, and is a pity that other developers dont offer this option.
I downloaded the ATR-72-500 and was well impressed after having a quick flight and fly around Seattle-Tacoma Intl. Tonight, I was preparing a flight from London (Heathrow) to Paris (Orly) and whilst going through the flight prep and settings, I discovered that the heading selector knob would only adjust in increments of 10 Umm... then I discovered and read this....

Known problems and limitations
- In some systems, HDG, CRS (and eventually altitude and speed) cannot be selected in increments of 1 unit, but rather the gauges will insist in jumping in 10 units increments. Thus, the heading will display 000, 010, 020, etc. but it will not be possible to select intermediate figures, as 012. This is a known FS2002 problem, which can appear in this aircraft due to the custom functions which are built in the gauges. To solve it, download and install FSUIPC (made by Peter Dowson, and available at www.schiratti.com/dowson), then activate the option "Fix control acceleration" in the Technical section.. This module has many other features which make it highly recommendable. See the documentation in this site for additional explanation.

This has really peed me off, I really like this aircraft, I can't be bothered downloading this that and the other, and installing here there and everywhere to try and solve the problem.

I hope this answers your question Tailhook. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i can probably make a mock up of the atr autopilot - and it would look the same (i have all seperate bmp files for autopilot and some other things).

i have a better idea though! there are quite a few atr panels availible freely on the net - just steel the autopilot off one of them.

i've never bought anything off abacus, nothing's impressed me one downloaded 😞 i do like the look of aircraft design studio though.

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Cheers Hinch, I'm just gonna have a search about to see if I can find a decent panel, and do abit of swapping about here and there. I might even end up with a better model than Abacus. LOL 🙂)

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

😂 there is probably a better freeware panel around mate by the looks of the pics.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

fourby wrote:

I downloaded the ATR-72-500 and was well impressed after having a quick flight ...

Known problems and limitations
- In some systems, HDG, CRS (and eventually altitude and speed) cannot be selected in increments of 1 unit, but rather the gauges will insist in jumping in 10 units increments. Thus, the heading will display 000, 010, 020, etc. but it will not be possible to select intermediate figures, as 012. This is a known FS2002 problem, which can appear in this aircraft due to the custom functions which are built in the gauges. To solve it, download and install FSUIPC (made by Peter Dowson, and available at www.schiratti.com/dowson), then activate the option "Fix control acceleration" in the Technical section.. This module has many other features which make it highly recommendable. See the documentation in this site for additional explanation.

I hope this answers your question Tailhook. 👍

Well thanks fourby, the 'Known problems and limitations' sure sound like Abacus - though I still can't find the ATR on their site Dont Know Have you got a link by any chance?

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Hi Tailhook 🙂 click on this link http://www.abacuspub.com/
then click on Flight Sim Downloads (top left, second down). On the next page, put your mouse arrow on the pic in Large Planes and click.
On the next page, click on the pic of the ATR,
then scroll down to the download/install.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks fourby, finally found it.
I was just about to download the trial when I saw this

NOTE: During installation of any of our "Try Before You Buy" aircraft, we add a small program to your \modules folder to enable you to use these and future Premier Collection aircraft. If you do not want to add this program to your system, please do not install any of these aircraft.

Another .dll most likely. Well, I'm satisfied. I searched for the famous 'Abacus Hitch' and I found it. Have to give this one a miss.
Thanks for showing me the way 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

you can just delete the dll and it affects nothing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

you can just delete the dll and it affects nothing

Thanks for your input. I know I can just delete the dll.. but if I do that a week or so later, after having installed and uninstalled other apps. - does it still affect nothing?

Why would Abacus be so particular about this file? 🤔

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

as far as i can tell the dll just adds a menu to the top of flightsim when you go to file, views etc. there's another file they add called asreg.dat which contains the info whether you've registered your project - and it's rather too easy to modify. when i had my abacus downloads i never had the 'you have 6 days remaining' stuff at all. after like 2 days i deleted them anyway haha.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks hinch, I'll meditate on that for a few weeks and see... Idea

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...