Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

What is this???

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I have seen these funny little huts sitting at the end of the runway, all over the flight sim world but I dont have a clue what they are!

Someone please inform me? Do they exist in real life as well?

10 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

That's a VOR radio navigation transmitter. They exist in real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Yep, they're VOR stations. Andrew, next time you are at NZAA have a look on the farmland on the approach to the 23L, you'll notice one is positioned there.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I always wanted to see how a real VOR station look like 🙄

I've seen something in Lisbon that looks like a VOR station, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's a mill or something...

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Thanks Bindolaf!

The second picture reminds me of the VOR station I saw is Lisbon. Next time, if I can, I'll take a picture.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

Thanks Bindolaf!

The second picture reminds me of the VOR station I saw is Lisbon. Next time, if I can, I'll take a picture.

Yeah,thanks for the info,interesting. 😛
At first i thought it was some kind of secret agent hideout! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well...i have a very close meeting with this thing(VOR station) in past...enjoy 😂 😂 😂 ➡

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

A picture I took a year or so ago...

😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Thanks for the links, info and pics everyone. Now I understand 🙂
One thing I wonder though is why not just use a metalic beacon that sends out a signal instead of the queer looking hut thing 😕

Yep, they're VOR stations. Andrew, next time you are at NZAA have a look on the farmland on the approach to the 23L, you'll notice one is positioned there.

Hi Jarred,
Yer I thought I saw one there, and took a photo of the white cirlcular roof but it came out crap and I deleted it. After seeing it, I decided to post this topic to find out more.

Don Wood Guest

The VOR antenna is the cone on the top and the plate that it rests on. The building is just a building. It contains all the other equipment that is necesary for the VOR to operate and protects that equipment from the elements.