Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

USB drive

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I picked up a 300 GB USB drive yesterday with the idea of using it for backing up two computers as well as keeping my downloads, screenshots,MP3 and other "non-essential" files on it.

Besides taking a small performance hit, can anyone think of why I shouldn't make it a "compressed" drive?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im not using files compression in my hard drives.

Check this paragraph ➡

When you add files to the compressed drive, the files are compressed on the fly and then written to disk. When you read files from a compressed disk, they are read from disk, and then decompressed on the fly. This compression/decompression takes CPU time and may be fairly noticeable if you do a lot of file transfers.

The amount of space you gain is dependent on the file types you are working with. Here is a small test to see the different compression ratios I get.

From this link. ➡

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-win-xp-pro-file-compression.html

Hope you get an idea 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Thank you for the information. It slipped my mind that MP3s were already compressed, and since my screen shots are jpegs and most downloads are already zipped, compressing the drive won't do me much good.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Thank you for the information. It slipped my mind that MP3s were already compressed, and since my screen shots are jpegs and most downloads are already zipped, compressing the drive won't do me much good.

Very right notice. 👍

We compress the already compressed...and we decompressed in double... Wacko Wacko Wacko