Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

PROBLEM

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

It's 2 am and I can't sleep....have to wake up in 3 hours for school...this has been happenning a lot lately. Please, give me some advice Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Well, far be it from me to give advice over the internet, but:

1) If there is a (new) source of stress in your life, try to deal with it.
2) When you come home from school, don't sleep/nap. Stay up as late as you can and go to bed at around 8 or 9pm. Don't overdo it and fall in a loop of being awake again.
3) The last hour or so before bed, don't do exciting things. This includes playing games on the computer, wathcing interesting TV and more.
4) The first few days you will feel like crap. Resist the urge to nap.
5) Limit the consumption of coffee. Certainly don't drink any past 3pm.

Good luck

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Bindolaf is a proffesional and knows better.Follow his correct advices.

Only some additions from me from life experience...
Try to find a happy and interesting book and read a while before sleep.
Forget the day who pass and leave next day plants for the morning.
Think happy things,try to think what you want to dream and drink a glass of hot milk before going to bed.
A shower before sleep clean not only the body but the mind too from day stress...
Try to use your computer,your video games and your TV less hours.(avoid TV at all...its rubbish Wink )

You are too young for this my friend Crosscheck.
I wish you will never face it up again in your future life.... Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

I really don't know what it is, but it's really holding me back. I've got to find a way of sleeping correctly, because I'm not able to last during the day. A few hours into school, then I'm running on empty. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Um, I know we're not really supposed to do this, but I have a thought, however, if I may ask, what is your religion?

My answer pertains to this, and you can PM me with the answer to my question if you don't want to say it on the forum.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Are you following any dietary laws?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Bindolaf wrote:

Well, far be it from me to give advice over the internet, but:

1) If there is a (new) source of stress in your life, try to deal with it.
2) When you come home from school, don't sleep/nap. Stay up as late as you can and go to bed at around 8 or 9pm. Don't overdo it and fall in a loop of being awake again.
3) The last hour or so before bed, don't do exciting things. This includes playing games on the computer, wathcing interesting TV and more.
4) The first few days you will feel like crap. Resist the urge to nap.
5) Limit the consumption of coffee. Certainly don't drink any past 3pm.

Good luck

I think this is very good advice.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

One of the biggest issues I ever had with not being able to sleep, as Mr Bindolaf says, is playing games and whatnot before bed.

This gets your adrenalin going and stuff so when you try and sleep you have difficulty doing so.

I always wind myself down before bed by reading something for half an hour or so.

Don't drink coffee etc in the evenings especially shortly before bed time.

Don't give up and get back up and go on the computer if you can't sleep.. just lay there with your eyes shut.

You may get bored but at least your resting your eyes.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I do wind myself down. Sometimes, however, I'd be rushing because I'm trying to finish up a project or whatnot, and then I go to bed thinking about everything I've done. Sometimes, music helps, but rarely. I'm not restricted by any dietary laws. When I get into bed, no matter what I'm donig, or how winded down I am, I feel like I can keep running for many more hours to come. I just came back from school, and despite sleeping for 2 hours, I felt a little tired, but otherwise, alright. It's very frustrating. I dread the evening, when it comes time to sleep.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think part of the problem could be that when you get back from school, you are sleeping, which means you won't be tired later on in the evening. I know how you feel, because it always happens to me around exam time when my mind is spinning with everything. Try to stay awake in the day and then sleep just at night. Also, try and keep your sleeping patterns fairly regular for a while. Sometimes, I find it hard to sleep in the week once I have been lazy at the weekend and gone to sleep at around 2 am and don't get up until 11am.

Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

I actually very rarely sleep after school, so that can't be it. I don't recall every personally saying that. Thanks though Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

I just came back from school, and despite sleeping for 2 hours

Sorry I must've misunderstood you Embarassed You could always see your local GP if it gets any more of a problem or it doesn't subside Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

I apologize, when I said the afore mentioned quote, I ment the night before. Also, what is a GP, if you don't mind my asking Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

A GP is a Doctor. GP is a british term. This sounds like insomnia. Have you tried a glass of warm milk before you goto bed

Pro Member Chief Captain

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/health/mental_health/600221.shtml

About three quarters of the way down, there are some articles on Insomnia and sleeping problems. You can also email them and ask. They are a group of trained doctors, psychologists and psychiatrists, so you will definitely get an informed response if you do choose to email them Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

THanks everyone. All the advice and great links sure would help. I'll check them all out as soon as possible, however right now I have to........GO TO BED Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Good snooze Laughing
Sleep

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

I do wind myself down. Sometimes, however, I'd be rushing because I'm trying to finish up a project or whatnot, and then I go to bed thinking about everything I've done. Sometimes, music helps, but rarely. I'm not restricted by any dietary laws. When I get into bed, no matter what I'm donig, or how winded down I am, I feel like I can keep running for many more hours to come... ... I dread the evening, when it comes time to sleep.

Call it insomnia or whatever you like. It appears that you're describing the cause of it very well. You're thinking about everything you've done when you go to bed. Don't. I know it's difficult, but you can learn it and you must. It's a matter of calming your mind and freeing it of any thoughts.
This means that reading in bed won't help you because you either can't concentrate on what you're reading - or if you can - you're thought processes get stimulated again and that's what we're trying to avoid. Reading in bed only helps to make you're eyes tired and shut them.

Your last sentence points to something else you must work on. You must learn to avoid dreading what lies ahead of you, what hasn't happened yet.
Again, it's quite a task to unlearn that habit - but if you understand that all that dreading, fearing and anxiety are caused by your mind trying to control you, you will decide that you are the boss and make an effort to control your mind instead.

The sooner you start learning to control your mind, the better.
You will be able to sleep.

In fact, you are able to sleep already - you just don't know it because your mind is telling you otherwise.

Pro Member Chief Captain

THanks for that tailhook. It's a pretty strange concept of who controls who, my mind or my body, however I'll take your advice and try forgetting everything. I better beleive it's not going to be easy avoiding thinking about anything stressful. Hopefully, I'll get back on track soon. I don't like being accustomed to late sleep and early awakenings. I've missed the alarm countless times, and during the day, I'm wiped out. For example, I just woke up about an hour ago, but my eyes are already feeling heavy. Again, thanks for your help. Very much appreciated, as always Wink

Crosscheck9

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

... It's a pretty strange concept of who controls who...

The concept seems strange because you haven't encountered it before. Anything unfamiliar appears strange at first.
I don't know if you've seen Roger's signature, it goes something like this:

"The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open."

Very profound.

Now, ask yourself... Who decides when the parachute should open?
In other words: Who controls the mind?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Tailhook,
You are a very insiteful man, and your help has helped me gain the peace of mind and understanding needed to have an "open mind". Hopefully, soon I will conquer this mess I'm in. I really don't know what to say. If you refer to the "why do you visit flyaway post" in the general forum, well this is why. Everyone here has been so helpful, and I am ever so grateful in return. THank you all!