Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

fs2004 with 9800 xt! 1600*1200 full antialiasing ansiotropic

i the guest Guest

here i come!

this is surely the best card to play fs2004 with, is it not?

if you say yes, i'll go out and buy it. to be more specific i'll buy the sapphire ultimate edition coz sharky extreme say its cool and quiet and huge.

you see the problem with these cards is the noise.

could those who said nvidia is better because of the image quality as opposed to radeon's send us freeze frames of each card? but surely that cant be true seeing that nvidias cannot withstand antialiasing and ansiotropic trimming!

and just look at this page:

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031015/radeon9600xt-24.html

i convinced. radeon xt with heatsink here i come! 500 euros!

but if you disagree point out disadvantages please!

and please dont simplify along the lines of the usual 'nvidia sucks' or 'ati sucks'!

and surely the evidence at tomshardware is too crushing?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've never had a problem with Tom's test before and I must admit that I'm very surprised at the huge difference between the 2 cards in these exact tests.
Besides your question I found this to be quite interesting and satisfying because I have an ATI 9800 Pro DDR (It's quiet), which I'm going to reset to the settings that they used, it may be better than I'm using now.
All that said I would have told you that you can't go wrong with the XT because it is one of the best cards out today.
Getting the Sapphire is another thing, I may be way off base but that isn't made by ATI it's made by another manufacturer, it's sort of buying an "SE" card without the "SE".
Why don't you contact ATI or Toms by e-mail and see if I'm wrong, like I say I may be, but if I'm not...

i the guest Guest

RadarMan wrote:

I've never had a problem with Tom's test before and I must admit that I'm very surprised at the huge difference between the 2 cards in these exact tests.
Besides your question I found this to be quite interesting and satisfying because I have an ATI 9800 Pro DDR (It's quiet), which I'm going to reset to the settings that they used, it may be better than I'm using now.
All that said I would have told you that you can't go wrong with the XT because it is one of the best cards out today.
Getting the Sapphire is another thing, I may be way off base but that isn't made by ATI it's made by another manufacturer, it's sort of buying an "SE" card without the "SE".
Why don't you contact ATI or Toms by e-mail and see if I'm wrong, like I say I may be, but if I'm not...

wow, do you realise what you're saying about sapphire? thats horrid! do you know a lot about videocards? because what you said is a direct challenge to many tests of sapphires i've seen over the net. so maybe if it isnt the speed you lose maybe its the quality? but with the quality they say sapphire actually does the boards for ati!

you have confused and worried me!

as for your card. can you not hear it over your other computer components? i've heard some 9800 128 megabyte pros are quiet but i've heard the noise gets higher with 256 megabytes of ram. is yours 128 or 256?

in any case i been told the xts make more noise than the pros, but that theyre more easy to overclock coz they have the more sane sdram instead of the idiotic ddr2...

actually given this new jump they're making to 12000 points of 3dmark i may be better off waiting a few months and the price'll get halved.

but how many months! 6 months wouldnt be worth it imo! i want fs2004 now!

and at 1600 1200 without any problems in clouds, hence making the 256 megs of ram worth it! according to tomshardware that seems possible (40 fps! but ppl over here say it is not)

maybe i'll give up on that point and buy the nice probably quiet msi radeon 9800 pro at 128, coz its only 240 euros and msi have a reputation for doing quiet things (even with noisy silly nvidias!)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sorry bud but here is the proof that ATI does not manufacture the Sapphire, it's a partner, a licensed company.
My card since you ask is the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb DDR. Yes it's very quiet.

Facts about partners.

http://www.ati.com/support/partner/faq.html
List of partners.
http://www.ati.com/support/partner/list.html

Sapphire Technology Ltd. is a licensed partner, not part of ATI.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/

If you want to do more benchmark tests.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/957/video-card-benchmark-tests/

i the guest Guest

ok, but surely the equivalent of a built by ATI 9800 SE isnt an MSI, Gigabyte or Sapphire 9800 no pro or pro!? these partners have prestige and some are known to improve on the built by ATI ones, surely!

Pro Member First Officer
Mason Gilliam (harleyman) First Officer

Whatever floats your boat.....

Or should I say whatever flys your planes..... 😀

oh oh, on second thoughts with what i'm reading about the new cards going at 12000 3dmarks i think i'll wait... Idea