spartan repaint! - UPDATES

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i've added solid red around the windows, added some clarity so you can see the rivets and joins, i've also added some pinstriping to the tail and replaced the side stripes entirely. the lower stripe is actually reflective chrome not white. what do you think?

i'm going for a 50's hotrod theme. matt black paint, some pinstriping and red bits. but something really isn;t right! any suggestions?

Last edited by hinch on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Very nice repaint Hinch 👍 Very slick 😉

I wouldn't really know how to change it though, maybe some silver outlining the red strips Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I agree with Jolegg, some silvery stripes - maybe leading edges... perhaps the belly in silver or another bright, shiny texture as well.

I hope the artistically inclined like yourself know a way around what seems to be a problem.
I've seen many beautiful textures on military a/c in particular which where just simply too dark.

As an example (if you have a fast connection you might want to have a look at this) the textures of the corsairf4u7.zip from avsim must have taken a lot of time and effort to create - I'm sure you know what I mean when you look at it.
Except, the all-over look is just too dark. I discovered that the fix cof4ufix.zip included two new textures as well, and boy - you should see it now!!! Different a/c all together - I'm keeping it!!

Another one I downloaded recently was a B-2 from simvation. It actually flew 'realistically', had a nice looking working panel and nice sounds.
I ditched it because the textures were just too realistic : BLACK... period. Not even a shine to it.

The moral of the story (I know how you like these long epistles) to my eye, if the base is black, it has to be shiny. But that's not enough - it has to have some other shiny or metal textures - preferrably from every or most angles that you can view the a/c.

Idea

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

That plane looks excellent! I think u need to outline the red pinstriping in white. Also maybe you could tip the prop red or silver. ???? thatd be preaty cool! 😀 u should post it when your done! I'd love to have it!

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

The problem with mass black repaints with no metallic shine is that the a/c has a 'silhouette' appearance with no a/c structure visible ( doors, rivets, seams, etc). It is OK if you like that sort of a/c but like all other things - "one man's meat is another man's poison".
I have been doodling with the Spartan and this is an example of what metallic shine can do for the effects - it is very much a doodle and very incomplete -

It is obvious that the Spartan has caught on as Avsim have several newly uploaded textures and that is in the first 24 hours after release.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i think it looks cool in matt black. i will highlight the rivets with a bit of trickery, that's a good idea - it is a bit 'smooth'. and i'll lighten the black up a little to make it more obvious it's older perhaps.

i've done a bit more research into the style, i've got the red shapes wrong (scalloping?) and they need white or silver edges.

what magazine, pic and website should be shown in the back? (oh i love this plane!)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😳 Cool looking aircraft you have there Dave. 😀

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

The aircraft looks quite a lot better with the added silver 👍 Personally, I'd quite like to see the reflective chrome around the red window area aswell, where the white currently is. I think you can have too much 'damp' colour. Just my opinion anyway 😉

All the same, its a great repaint 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

chrome round the windows, or chrome outlining the red? mm, tough decisions lol

Pro Member Chief Captain

Chrome outlining the red which is outlining the windows 😂 It would look better for me 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

looks sexy to me!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yep looks perfect to me 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You do very nice detail work, upload it to avsim!

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

mmm. i need to change the interior too, otherwise it's just not complete. i don't know what magazine and pic to have mm. any ideas there, i'm stumped Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

mmm. i need to change the interior too, otherwise it's just not complete. i don't know what magazine and pic to have mm. any ideas there, i'm stumped Dont Know

Sorry but what do you mean when you say you don't know what magazine and pic to have ❓

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

That is a very talented repaint - Well done Group Wave - Could you possibly give me a little lesson on repainting default Aircraft in FS2004??

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

Hinch - you may be interested in the new metallic texture just issued by Milton Shupe and Urs Burkhardt -

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=80465&CatID=fs2004acrp

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...