Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

spartan repaint! - UPDATES

hinch
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:53 pm 

i've added solid red around the windows, added some clarity so you can see the rivets and joins, i've also added some pinstriping to the tail and replaced the side stripes entirely. the lower stripe is actually reflective chrome not white. what do you think?

i'm going for a 50's hotrod theme. matt black paint, some pinstriping and red bits. but something really isn;t right! any suggestions?

Last edited by hinch on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:00 pm 

Very nice repaint Hinch Thumbs Up! Very slick Wink

I wouldn't really know how to change it though, maybe some silver outlining the red strips Dont Know
Click below to support FSF:
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:17 am 

I agree with Jolegg, some silvery stripes - maybe leading edges... perhaps the belly in silver or another bright, shiny texture as well.

I hope the artistically inclined like yourself know a way around what seems to be a problem.
I've seen many beautiful textures on military a/c in particular which where just simply too dark.

As an example (if you have a fast connection you might want to have a look at this) the textures of the corsairf4u7.zip from avsim must have taken a lot of time and effort to create - I'm sure you know what I mean when you look at it.
Except, the all-over look is just too dark. I discovered that the fix cof4ufix.zip included two new textures as well, and boy - you should see it now!!! Different a/c all together - I'm keeping it!!

Another one I downloaded recently was a B-2 from simvation. It actually flew 'realistically', had a nice looking working panel and nice sounds.
I ditched it because the textures were just too realistic : BLACK... period. Not even a shine to it.

The moral of the story (I know how you like these long epistles) to my eye, if the base is black, it has to be shiny. But that's not enough - it has to have some other shiny or metal textures - preferrably from every or most angles that you can view the a/c.

Idea
alohajoe
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:34 am 

That plane looks excellent! I think u need to outline the red pinstriping in white. Also maybe you could tip the prop red or silver. ???? thatd be preaty cool! Very Happy u should post it when your done! I'd love to have it!
davec
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:48 am 

The problem with mass black repaints with no metallic shine is that the a/c has a 'silhouette' appearance with no a/c structure visible ( doors, rivets, seams, etc). It is OK if you like that sort of a/c but like all other things - "one man's meat is another man's poison".
I have been doodling with the Spartan and this is an example of what metallic shine can do for the effects - it is very much a doodle and very incomplete -

It is obvious that the Spartan has caught on as Avsim have several newly uploaded textures and that is in the first 24 hours after release.
hinch
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:57 pm 

i think it looks cool in matt black. i will highlight the rivets with a bit of trickery, that's a good idea - it is a bit 'smooth'. and i'll lighten the black up a little to make it more obvious it's older perhaps.

i've done a bit more research into the style, i've got the red shapes wrong (scalloping?) and they need white or silver edges.

what magazine, pic and website should be shown in the back? (oh i love this plane!)
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:29 pm 

Shocked Cool looking aircraft you have there Dave. Very Happy

Radar

99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:37 pm 

The aircraft looks quite a lot better with the added silver Thumbs Up! Personally, I'd quite like to see the reflective chrome around the red window area aswell, where the white currently is. I think you can have too much 'damp' colour. Just my opinion anyway Wink

All the same, its a great repaint Thumbs Up!
hinch
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:12 pm 

chrome round the windows, or chrome outlining the red? mm, tough decisions lol
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:19 pm 

Chrome outlining the red which is outlining the windows Laughing It would look better for me Wink
hinch
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:33 pm 

looks sexy to me!
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:03 pm 

Yep looks perfect to me Wink
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:27 pm 

You do very nice detail work, upload it to avsim!

Radar

hinch
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:43 pm 

mmm. i need to change the interior too, otherwise it's just not complete. i don't know what magazine and pic to have mm. any ideas there, i'm stumped Dont Know
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:03 pm 

hinch wrote:
mmm. i need to change the interior too, otherwise it's just not complete. i don't know what magazine and pic to have mm. any ideas there, i'm stumped Dont Know

Sorry but what do you mean when you say you don't know what magazine and pic to have Question

Wink
SteveT
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:06 pm 

That is a very talented repaint - Well done Group Wave - Could you possibly give me a little lesson on repainting default Aircraft in FS2004??
davec
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:32 pm 

Hinch - you may be interested in the new metallic texture just issued by Milton Shupe and Urs Burkhardt -

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=80465&CatID=fs2004acrp