Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Computer Question

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I'm planning purchasing a new computer this year. I need to know how many GHz & RAM do you think FSX will require? I know that I need a new one, just look at my current computer specs:

E Machines T1742
1.70 Ghz Intel Celeron Processor
512MB PC2100 RAM
40GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM 48x Max Read
3 1/2 Floppy Drive
CD Drive

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yours is very close to mine. If your planning on loading Windows Vista on it (eventually) you'll need 512mb ram just for it.

Get the best 64 bit dual CPU you can afford, at least 2 gigs ram (4 is perfect) and an SLI board.
I'm going to go all the way but just have one top of the line video card and add another (same) about 2 years later.
Get a decent h/d, (2?) I'm stuck with the same you have and never again.
I hope you are going to build it to save many $ and have it for years with minor upgrades.
Don't forget the DVD burner.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I might customize my new computer on www.alienware.com

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Expensive but good, also take a look at http://www.falcon-nw.com/ . Build the same yourself for much less.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I tried that, and I like it. But I still haven't made up my mind yet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Whether you are a first-time builder or you have someone else assemble your new machine - if you opt for a SLI mobo, make sure you have someone nearby to help you with assembly or upgrade.

By their nature SLI boards are very fiddly to work with. Two slots instead of one to accommodate 2 graphics cards, it changes the landscape completely.

Mine is an A8N-SLI DELUXE. It has 4 slots for memory modules. I started out with 2 modules of RAM and 1 graphics card, thinking I'll upgrade as required.
It is important to be aware that you can not just stick a RAM module into any slot you like, the same applies to the graphics card - if you start out with one instead of two.

In practice that means, you've got your system up and running and now decide to add two more RAM modules. On my board I had to uninstall the graphics card completely because it was obstructing access to the memory slots.

It is also worth to mention that while some SLI boards will recognize a second graphics card automatically others will require changes to the BIOS.

SLI boards are a great idea in principle but for a first-time builder the complex architecture and cramped working conditions might be a bit overwhelming.
I would suggest a simpler quality board instead, it'll cost half the money which in turn can be spend on a better CPU or more RAM.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Expensive but good, also take a look at http://www.falcon-nw.com . Build the same yourself for much less.

Radar

Do they assemble your computer or do they send you the parts and haft to assemble it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Fully assembled and warranted. Take a look at the right side of the page, you even get a "T" shirt, that makes it worthwhile. Laughing
They are just a competitor to Alien, I thought you'd like to match them up.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I custimized my computer with the same specs at falcon-nw.com, and alienware.com, and at falcon the price was three times more expensive than at alienware.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

you will probably be able to get all that stuff much more cheaply if you opt to build it yourself but it can be a tricky business.

I am about to send my motherboard, CPU and RAM back as I have been getting BSOD failures that I cannot find the source of Sad

Looks memory related by the memtest passes the RAM as ok - it could be the CPU apparently as AMD processors do the memory management as there are no northbridge chips on the mobo for AMD systems.. dagnammit

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

PanAmerican wrote:

I custimized my computer with the same specs at falcon-nw.com, and alienware.com, and at falcon the price was three times more expensive than at alienware.

It was an alternative, now you have seen the competition and prefer Alien, 3x?

Radar