SearchSearch 

Darn VATSIM - Help!!!

Pro Member Trainee
pearlygatesuk Trainee

Hello,

To anyone using VATSIM - is it possible to use this program without charts? because I cant even get a clearance to take off in my 737 and its beginning to tick me off

Thanks

10 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

Vatsim do it 'by the book' - if you read their requirements for flying with them you'll understand. If you want to enjoy flying instead of getting wound up and frustrated by the so called 'pros' go to FShostspy and find a group to suit your needs.

Last edited by john (verygom) on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Pearly,

You must read the requirements in the 'New Pilots Start Here' section on the right hand side of www.vatsim.net . VATSIM isn't for anyone who feels like flying with other people, as verygom said, it is 'by the book' and everything must be done in a correct way for them to approve your flying. If you don't want to read the whole of the information, just read the First Flight section

😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Vatsim do it 'by the book' - if you read their requirements for flying with them you'll understand. If you want to enjoy flying instead of getting wound up and frustrated by the so called 'pros' go to FShostspy and find a group to suit your needs.

Nice jab there, but I'll overlook it and just note the following really quickly:

1) VATSIM does require minimal piloting skills. This means taking off, landing decently and flying a route you have filed. If you can't do all those things why would you want "as real as it gets" ATC? On the other hand VATSIM (through regional vACCs/ARTCCs) offers training and assistance.

2) If you want to fly from point A to point B IFR you should file a half decent flight plan. It need not be perfect. If you don't want to be "wound up and frustrated" 🙄 just file a VFR plan and do what ya like at VFR altitudes, maintaining own separation.

3) You can ask the controller for help with your flight plan and they can refuse. Pick a calm night with minimal traffic and go ahead. I keep posting my ATC times and you are all welcome to attend. If I'm too busy I will too ask you to wait or even come back another time. It's not an affront, it's not something to be wound up over, it's reality.

4) This is a game you might say, but for some it's a hobby. Why not pick up a chart (they're free!) and start learning a few things about navigation? Why not try to work on comms, procedures etc? VATSIM will help you (as it helped me) every step of the way.

5) If you are (not pearly, anyone) the type that just wants to jump in the cockpit and zoom around willy nilly don't come to VATSIM. Pick a nice multiplayer server with no or rudimentary "ATC", where you can just do whatever you like. If on the other hand you like flying and wish to learn, come to VATSIM. Only minimal proficiencies required and all are welcome.

Pro Member First Officer

I suggest that "required reading" VATSIM 101-PO a-e (particularly a) and 102-PEG a-f are anything but "minimal" to anyone thinking of flying online.
But each to his own of course 😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Hm, are we talking about the same thing? Because what I see in 101 is bare minimum basic. Let me recap:

* A basic understanding of piloting skills, and to safely perform all of the following: (101e)
o Taxi
o Take-off
o Maintain an assigned altitude, heading, and airspeed
o Navigate to and from an airfield in VFR flight, or navigate to and from navigation aids such as VORs when in IFR flight
o Fly a basic traffic pattern
o Land on an assigned runway

I think this is - as I said above - the bare minimum. Take off, fly towards a VOR and land.

* Understand the difference between VFR and IFR flight - (121c)
* Although IFR skills are not required, learning to file and fly on an IFR flightplan greatly enhances the VATSIM experience later - (122c)
* Understand valid altitudes for direction of flight - (102a)
* Be familiar with the Pilots’ Etiquette Guide - (102 & 121f)
* Understand basic ATC phraseology - (111a)
* Tune to different radio frequencies and effectively communicate with a controller - (FAQ & 121h)
* Answer a private message (or “hail”) from a controller or supervisor - (FAQ)
* Follow instructions from VATSIM air traffic controllers - (111 & 121)
* Ask questions or get clarifications if you do not understand - (102a & 121)
* Set up the software required, join the network with your real name, choose a callsign, set the aircraft type, and be able to file a flightplan - (103, 121d, 122a)
* Be courteous and respectful at all times - (101, 102, 121, 122)
* Operate within the limits of the VATSIM Code of Conduct, User Agreement, and Code of Regulations - (102d & 102e)

What is hard about this? Not just asking incredulously, but also because I'd be happy to help with anything.

And finally:

At a minimum, please take the time to read and understand the VATSIM required reading material.

So you're basically required to be able to read and devote a little time to reading. I don't think that is irrational.

Pro Member First Officer

So there you have it pearlygatesuk - you have no worries now. 🙂 🙂
I was being a bit of a Devil 😂 😂
NMSP

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I like this. Two different opinions, perspectives - two different ways of looking at things.

Does one have to be right and the other wrong? We can all learn from this.

Please keep it up Gentlemen.

Pro Member Trainee
pearlygatesuk Trainee

I managed to get clearance to take off yesterday evening - flew from Brisbane to Sydney - this program is brilliant, particularly for something free, but I need to learn how to plan a flight. I think the easiest way is doing VOR to VOR using Microsofts Flight Planner, the only question now is how do I do a transatlantic flight since the VOR's between Ireland and the US may be quite a distance apart.

Regards

Pearly

spuddi Guest

the default flight planner will not let you do a vor-vor transatlantic.

infact even if you set it to Low or High altitude airways it doesn't send you on a logical route.

you couls use direct gps or you could download flight commander which will allow you to create flightplans that can be imported into FS9

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

To cross the Atlantic you follow NATs. I could go on about what they are, but why not let the professionals do it?!

Here is an amazing file, courtesy of the Hellenic vACC (http://www.avsim.com/greece/hvacc/) made by real pilots explaining all about crossing the Atlantic.

6MB

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MMQ683UFU57L3BZ64KKSZMY9S