Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

taxi speeds

its me liam Guest

hi guys if you could tell me the approximate taxi speeds for a few aircraft
it would be much appreciated

kind regards liam

Pro Member Chief Captain
crosscheck9 Chief Captain

A good general reference....

Turns at 10-12 knots,
Straight at 20 knots Maximum.

Have you ever had that feeling, where everything just seems right, and you have no cares in the world..As if heaven smiled down upon you, and told you everything was going to be ok?

Yea, neither have I

its me liam Guest

cheers very much pal this is instant messaging but can you please be a little bit more presise

Pro Member Chief Captain
99jolegg Chief Captain

Liam,

Crosscheck is completely right. When you are going along a straight taxiiway, don't exceed 20 knots for a smaller aircraft (Cessna 182) and don't exceed 25 knots in a larger aircraft (757). During a turn, this should be slowed down to around 10 knots in a lighter aircraft (the Cessna) and 12-15 in a larger aircraft (the larger aircraft)

Hope that clarifies it for you Wink

Click below to support FSF:

Pro Member First Officer
Mithheru First Officer

I was thinking of asking this question for a while. It felt a bit strange everytime I would be zipping down a taxiway at about 40 knots. On some planes it's a bit hard to go so slow, or it could be my controller. If I put on too much I'm going too fast; if I don't put enough the plane just stops and sits there blocking traffic.

Thanks for the input.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

plug a nice ground handling gauge into your panel Smile have a look on avsim, they're easy enough to install.

Pro Member Captain
originalgrunge Captain

Yep, it's an FAA and airport rule to not exceed 25kts on any taxiway. The turn speed reccomendation is a good one. FS taxiing isn't quite as realistic as can be, because the aircraft very rarely roll over when you're heading too fast into a turn. Just download the feel-there ERJ-145 and you'll see what turning to fast really does to the plane!

If you feel like you're racing down the taxiway regardless of throttle, you just have to be sensitive to weight and each aircraft's tendencies. A 747 has four very powerful engines, but to get a 600,000lb aircraft moving it can take a lot of force! As a result, you usually don't see much by way of speed at first, but then you can end up rolling out of control once you get it moving. A very good tip is to not let the 747 engines run above 40% N1 when taxiing. Let the plane get up to speed that way.

By the way, we're talking about G/S (ground speed) here not IAS. If you're flying payware aircraft you'll usually find it on the corner of your nav display. For default aircraft check in the GPS.

its me liam Guest

cheers guys that will help loads cheers

Pro Member Trainee
bunger Trainee

Just want to add that if you are taxiing a tail drager. you can use the redder for minor adjustments and use the differential brakes for sharper turns.

Bunger

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

My instructor taught me that in real life you should taxi a light GA aircraft at a fast walking pace, but at a large airport with sealed taxiways that would be just a little slow. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Many of the recommendations I've read sound good. I have never heard of an airport or FAA speed limit for taxi. What complicates the idea is the fact that you don't have a way to measure taxi speed. Some GPS/FMS equipped aircraft may be able but most aircraft are not. Confused