Confused

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

When I plan a high altitude flight, it says, for example, I have to track radial 312 inbound to the VOR. If I fly via the gps, though, it might fly at a few degrees off. Which one is correct. If I'm going to fly manually, do I just follow the nav. log?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Both are correct. I'll explain. There is a slight difference between VOR radials and GPS courses. This is because GPS courses are great circle routes and VOR are based on magnetic courses between VOR's for relative short distances. A great circle route could extend across the globe. It's the way that the GPS computes courses. Another factor is that two VOR's 100 nm. apart may have different magnetic variations. One may be at a position that has 6 degrees west variation or declination. The second may be at a point with 5 degrees west variation. A 090 radial out of the first would be 269 into the second even though it's a straight line. You would think that it would be 270. When flying manually with VOR Nav, just use the NAV log course. The GPS should be very close. It's acceptable to use GPS with the same waypoints(VOR's) on your flight plans. I've probably made you more confused. Checkout the links.🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle_route
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_north#Magnetic_declination

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...