Tinnitus...

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Completly off topic guys, but need to ask a few questions about something. I play drums in a band, and we recently did a rehursal with all the amps up full, playing hard... etc. It's been 5 days now, and I still have ringing in my ears, and slight hearing loss... which I am dreading is somewhat permanent. I know, I know I should have worn my earplugs... but you know the way things go - It's been done now. What do you guys know about 'tinnitus'? Do any of you guys have it? Know anything about it?

Let me know 🙄

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's a shame, earplugs, earplugs or it'll get worse. I hope it's just a temporary hearing loss and clears up soon.

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/

http://www.ata.org/

http://www.tinnitus.org/

http://www.tinnitus-pjj.com/

http://www.bixby.org/faq/tinnitus.html

Pro Member First Officer
Fredericia01 First Officer

😞 I´ve got it too,and I´m sorry to tell you,that´it´s permanent damage !

Pro Member Site Admin

Fredericia01 wrote:

Sorry to hear this. May I ask how you got it? Was it music related?

Pro Member First Officer

flyaway wrote:

Fredericia01 wrote:

Sorry to hear this. May I ask how you got it? Was it music related?

Nope,mine is aquired through trucking for 30 years,the high pitch whine from the turbo charger has done me in 😂

Pro Member Site Admin

Aww, Is it severe? Does it annoy you, or do you learn to live with it - it becomes the normal? I hope mine goes away 😕

Pro Member First Officer

flyaway wrote:

Aww, Is it severe? Does it annoy you, or do you learn to live with it - it becomes the normal? I hope mine goes away 😕

Yups,it bothers me,I have this constant whistling in my ears,and it´ll never go away,there´s only 1 thing to do,and that´s to try to protect your ears,from any loud and constant noise,or also some of the high pitch sounds are also bad for you 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
Mason Gilliam (harleyman) First Officer

Ouch....That sucks guys.......

I too played drums in several bands as a youngster..Very loud..But somehow I survived no ear damage....Lucky is all I guess...

Hopefully FlyAway it will slacken over time...The docs are not always correct you know....... 😞

Pro Member Site Admin

harleyman wrote:

Ouch....That sucks guys.......

I too played drums in several bands as a youngster..Very loud..But somehow I survived no ear damage....Lucky is all I guess...

Hopefully FlyAway it will slacken over time...The docs are not always correct you know....... 😞

Hope it does clear up, this could become very annoying 😕

Harleyman, why did you give up playing drums? I'm building my kit up - have a complete + extended Pearl kit with loads of Zildjian symbols 😉 But from now on, its earplugs for me! Yes

Pro Member Trainee
Snowhater Trainee

Sorry guys - bad news. Tinitus doesn't go away. I've had it for quite a few years now, and it's a constant companion. After awhile, especially if you're really concentrating on something, it fades into the background, but it's still there. Doctor says the only thing that will cure it is complete deafness followed by hearing aids. I'll take the tinitus, thanks. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer

Harleyman, why did you give up playing drums? I'm building my kit up - have a complete + extended Pearl kit with loads of Zildjian symbols 😉 But from now on, its earplugs for me! Yes[/quote]

I'm not really sure...I guess life just took over...Mainly it was because I wanted to be a chef more,,and that involved 24 and a half years of my career...Of coarse in the Rest. business you work all nights,,weekends,,Holidays,,etc,,,etc....

I had a soild wood Ludwig,,blue pearl finish.. snair,,kick bass,,double mounted toms.two floor basses,and two mounted roto toms.....Along with all Zildjian,hi-hat,crash,mini's,,etc...

The best band I played in,,the one that I had to quit for my career for was called *Mason*......We formed out of a Va. Beach local band called *Norfolk Alliens*... We played lots of clubs locally and began touring the east coast,being house bands in several large clubs over several years.....

Our mananager Don,(needs to remain naimless) also handled Sam The Sham and The Pharoes,if you remember them...When he got them their recording contrac he also booked us studio time,,and we recorded our first and only album,,yes it was vinyl,,,,LOL called *Harbour Lights*....
The album got lots of air time (east coast) and as we grew I guess I just got more involved with wanting my career more,,to be a chef.....As we needed to travel,,and then be gone summers,,and back then drummers got paid shi...........so I just walked away.......

Yes,,I do miss it bunches,,have always regretted it,and always consiter getting another kit and hitting the bar sceen again...But I gots kids now (teenage girls) and my life is full....Seems it was a good career choise,,cause I retiret last year,(may) at the ripe ol age of 48......LOL

But it was,,is a passion to play,,and really don't know how I stayed out of it for so long.... I always thought it would be great to be famous,, 😂

We really were good.....Our Rhythm Guitar player,,Johnny Graham,,was Bruce Springstiens guitar player ,up to the point when he formed The E Street Band,,and formally played for The Asboy Dukes.....

As you can tell...I love to talk about it..........LOL

Pro Member Trainee
deKoven Trainee

Don't know if it's true or not:

I was told that damage to the ear may not show up for some years after the damage takes place. It's been said that the current generations of young high-decibel music listeners are going to find out years down the road; not reversible, it's true.

I have a little of that ringing meself (from working in a commercial bakery for years).

Pro Member First Officer

Can I get a dozen glazed please????????? LOL

Pro Member Site Admin

Harleyman, great setup, you should have carried it on bud! 😂

My kit consists of Peal mixed kit - 22" Bass Drum, 8" - 10" - 12" - 14" mounted toms with a 16" Floor tom and Ludwig 14" Chrome Supraphonic snare drum. My cymbal setup consists of all Zildjian Avedis or Avedis Custom: 14" Crash, 17" Rock Crash, 14" Hi-Hats, 17" China Boy, 8" Splash, 18" Ping Ride and a few other cymbals I've collected up that I dont have hooked up at the moment. I'll see if I can get a pic sometime 😉

Tinnitis is essentially auditory phantom pains not unlike what amputees suffer after loosing a limb. The nerves above the point of amputation basically scream for input from the now missing limb. It can be very painful. What happens with tinnitis is your brain is screaming for input from nerves in your inner ear that are now too dammaged to function properly. I suggest you turn down the volume.

Pro Member First Officer

sounds like a great set FlyAway...Now I'm jeleous....LOL

So....... Lets see If I got this right.......

You Play in a band most nights......Then you fly all day....

My question to you then is......When do you sleep and eat????? And are these requirments for survival? Or just unnecessary and bothersome details that clog up your playing and flight time....

And Women????? Where do you fit them in??????LOL

And you must be way to busy for a job.....HeHe...Who needs that with such wonderful passtimes....Hmmmm...For that matter,,,Perhaps women are just a side attraction and nuscience..... LOL

Dead ringer Guest

Who knows anything about the T-gone remedy?

I've just ordered three months supply....they claim to have an 85% rate of healing...from a reduction in noise.. to a total elimination of tinnitus altogether....!

This is homeopathic....!

I too have VHF tinnitus in both ears from whacking the sheer hell out of my drums.....I loved every bit of it an played with everything I had.....

Later on.....it's all gone bad....and I now am really not sure I'm even going to be able to keep my recording studio going!

Gutted.....

Here's the site....

http://www.t-gone.com/

All the best you guys...

😉

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

Despite what anyone tells you, it is permanent.

The causes for it are varied, and depend on the intesity & duration of SPL overload you endured.

I have personally had it for 25 years, and it has never really bothered me. If I "listen" to it, the sound is present, but otherwise there is no real problem, and it hasn't escalated in those years.

Personally, it's become like a sea noise to me, and sometimes is really useful when say, your spouse is snoring!

I hope it doesn't freak you out too much... The current treatments seem to be limited to ginko biloba, but don't do me any different.

Scientific proof is really lacking in the homeopathic area. That's not to say it doesn't do someone some good, just that it's not testable, and the placebo effect has power most don't even begin to estimate...

Pro Member First Officer

And, Dead ringer, you can't hear VHF, unless you demodulate it. 😉

Mine is about 18,5kHz and is quite mellow.

Pro Member First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

Tinnitis is essentially auditory phantom pains not unlike what amputees suffer after loosing a limb. The nerves above the point of amputation basically scream for input from the now missing limb. It can be very painful. What happens with tinnitis is your brain is screaming for input from nerves in your inner ear that are now too dammaged to function properly. I suggest you turn down the volume.

We can all do a google search, but not all of us can actually know what Flyaway is experiencing...

"Turning down the volume" is a suggestion given, most often too late. Also, the hypothesis that this is the sole cause is only one of many unproven conjectures which do nothing to ease the condition for people who are suffering it.

i the guest Guest

flyaway wrote:

Completly off topic guys, but need to ask a few questions about something. I play drums in a band, and we recently did a rehursal with all the amps up full, playing hard... etc. It's been 5 days now, and I still have ringing in my ears, and slight hearing loss... which I am dreading is somewhat permanent. I know, I know I should have worn my earplugs... but you know the way things go - It's been done now. What do you guys know about 'tinnitus'? Do any of you guys have it? Know anything about it?

Let me know 🙄

whatever you do, try not to get obsessed with it. the less you think about it the better. BUT, go to the doctor and ask him about a whole range of medication that you'd be better off not taking from now on (like aspirins). Also, avoid things like alcohol and cigarettes and caffein.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...