Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Have you been through a real life in-flight emergency?

Have you expirienced a real life in-flight emergency?
yes
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
no
60%
 60%  [ 15 ]
felt like it
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
don't know
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 25

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

Just like to hear your stories.
If you have or you thought you have, please say what happened and what type of AC you were on.

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

As far as i know of, i haven't been in one....YET 😳 my pants WILL be wet trust me. Baby

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Nope, well not yet anyway. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

I've been in 3 - I'm that unlucky!
1) Gulf Air Tristar decided to shred its centre engine over Bahrain - I think this was not an isolated fault on the early Tristars - I think one was lost due to this. The colour of the faces of the cockpit crew on landing was something to see - but the air stewardess was very reassuring after the almighty thud and aircraft shake - "you're not frightened are you?" Help!
2) A BA 747 shed slats off its port flaps going in to Frankfurt - little bit of a roll with that one! (excuse me, I think you should tell the pilot that something has fallen of the aircraft and I'll have a G & T please)
3) Had to auto rotate down in a Jetranger after a bang and and loss of power - reassuring when the pilot turned to me (only 2 SOB) and said "what the **** was that" - I do'nt know you're the pilot!
I do n't fly for real much these days 😂 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

In 1978 I was at a Marine Corps school near camp Lejune North Carolina. My duty station was at Camp Pendelton California. My school was from August - December. I had the opprotunity to go on what was called "The School Flight", a live instruction for C-9 students (DC-9). On takeoff from runway 19 at Cherry Point North Carolina we lost the port engine. I mean it came off of the fusalage. The pilot a LtCol calmly circled the field and landed again at Cherry Point. There was another aircraft avaialble so we all disembarked and got on the other aircraft within an hour. Of the orginal 120 passengers only about 75 reboarded. I was one of them allong with the other Marines that I was traveling with. We wanted to see our families so we stuck with it. The LtCol let us all know that everything was fine for the aircraft and explained that the other one had a flaw in a pilon that connects the engine to the fusalage. It was a smooth flight and very quite.

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

When I came from Belgium to live in the United States, I came on september 11, and were almost above New York when the terrorist attacks were starting. We had to turn back and stay in New Foundland, Canada, for a week. It was really weird because on the flight tracker in the airplane, we could see the airplane turning back but we didn't know why...

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

I came on september 11, and were almost above New York when the terrorist attacks were starting.

😳 What airline were you flying???? When did you find out about the attacks?

very intesting stories too!
I really like edr1073 post. The engine really FELL out. Oops!

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

I was flying Delta airlines, and the whole plane found out by listening to my dad's radio on the ground in New Foundland. WE were stuck in the plane for 10 hours before we could get out because of all t he security problems.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

WOW,really cool story's! 😳
I haven't experienced anything yet,just the old boring flight with the same drink,the same tv films,the same airline... Sleep Then again,at least i have my life! 😂

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

WOW,really cool story's! 😳
I haven't experienced anything yet,just the old boring flight with the same drink,the same tv films,the same airline... Sleep Then again,at least i have my life! 😂

yeah me too. it really damn sucks. I wanna be involved in an accident soon 😞

Pro Member First Officer

Even though this happened to our aircraft I still like to fly very much. When the engine fell off all that was left was the cowling. These don't get into the NTSB records they are handled by the big guys. For those of you haven't experienced any of these yet I hope that you don't. I like a little bit of excitement too, but some kinds are just not worth holding your breath for. Blake 14 that must have been a very scary time when 911 happened and you were in the air...!!!

Regards,

Don Wood Guest

I've been involved in three - two as pilot and one as an airline passenger.

As a pilot, I was on an instrument approach in a C-172 into SFO many years ago when the motor shaft on my vacuem pump sheared (broke). As a result, I lost all my vacuem driven instruments. I elected to divert to a smaller, less busy airport (Watsonville) so I did not have to make an instrument approach into SFO on only basic instruments. During the approach, I entered VFR conditions at about 2500 feet and was able to make the rest of the approach visually. We landed without incident but the fire trucks and ambulances lined up along the runway for us scared the P*** out of my then girlfriend, later wife.

The second as a pilot was even more minor. I was flying VFR in a Grumman American Tiger into Arapahoe County Airport in the Denver area. When I tried to contact the tower for landing clearance, they could not hear me but I could hear them. After I determined we had a communications failure, I just flew straight toward the tower, 500 feet above pattern altitude, and flashed my landing lights on and off. The tower controllers immediately saw me, transmitted a request that if I could hear them to rock my wings. I did so and they cleared me to land which I did with no further trouble. The problem turned out to be a bad microphone switch in my rental airplane.

As a passenger, I was departing Kodiak Island, Alaska last fall. We got to about 1000 feet after takeoff and suddenly leveled out and turned back toward the airport. The pilot came on the intercom and told we had had multiple bird strikes on takeoff and he did not know how badly damaged the aircraft was. We landed without incident, however, I wound up staying an extra day on Kodiak because the aircraft was damaged fairly badly and they had no replacement for it. All the passengers wound up being put on other scheduled flights over the next 24 hours. I can't remember the aircraft type but it was a small twin engine turbo-prop.

Pro Member First Officer

Don Wood,

Dang the bird strickes yikes...!!! There isn't anyway to dodge them either.
The Denver story was interesting. An excellent job in getting their attention.

Regards,

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Cool stories!!! 👍
I would like to be in a small one,but without any injury! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

If guarda indonesias 747 engine leaking and emergency landing in frankfurk counts, then yes

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

Very intresting stories. All ive been in is flying through some turbulance that spilled my orange juice. Crying or Very sad Baby

Pro Member Trainee
yankeeflyer72 Trainee

Many years ago as pilot of a Cherokee Arrow. Upon extension of landing gear, I could not get 3 greens on the gear. Nose gear was showing no lock in the down position. I went through the emergency gear extension several times. Cycling the gear, manually overriding the hydraulics, all to no avail. My home field, Porterville, Calif. was uncontrolled and the unicom was usually unmanned. After making several passes over the field at about 100 ft., I was unable to find anyone to observe my gear from the ground. I flew to Fresno, controlled, and requested a fly-by of the tower for them to look at it. They said it looked "Down and Locked". Another pilot already in the air asked if I wanted him to form-up on me and check the gear visually. I replied in the affirmative and we flew west of Fresno. He came up under me fairly closely, he was ex-military and comfortable with formation flying, and looked me over. He said it looked ok, so the decision was made to give it a try. He followed me all the way through the approach to within about 100 ft of the ground. That was the BEST and Smoothest landing I ever made, holding the nose up as long a possible until it wouldn`t hold off any longer. When it came down it held and all was well with the world. As it turned out, the problem was a failure of the micro switch on the nose gear. The other pilot landed and I bought him dinner at the airport restaurant. Oh yeah, I had my girlfriend with me on this one and it was the last time she ever flew with me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Beautifully told yankeeflyer72, I felt I was right there while reading your story.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

great story!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

yankeeflyer72 wrote:

Many years ago as pilot of a Cherokee Arrow. Upon extension of landing gear, I could not get 3 greens on the gear. Nose gear was showing no lock in the down position. I went through the emergency gear extension several times. Cycling the gear, manually overriding the hydraulics, all to no avail. My home field, Porterville, Calif. was uncontrolled and the unicom was usually unmanned. After making several passes over the field at about 100 ft., I was unable to find anyone to observe my gear from the ground. I flew to Fresno, controlled, and requested a fly-by of the tower for them to look at it. They said it looked "Down and Locked". Another pilot already in the air asked if I wanted him to form-up on me and check the gear visually. I replied in the affirmative and we flew west of Fresno. He came up under me fairly closely, he was ex-military and comfortable with formation flying, and looked me over. He said it looked ok, so the decision was made to give it a try. He followed me all the way through the approach to within about 100 ft of the ground. That was the BEST and Smoothest landing I ever made, holding the nose up as long a possible until it wouldn`t hold off any longer. When it came down it held and all was well with the world. As it turned out, the problem was a failure of the micro switch on the nose gear. The other pilot landed and I bought him dinner at the airport restaurant. Oh yeah, I had my girlfriend with me on this one and it was the last time she ever flew with me.

Very interesting story yankeeflyer72 👍