PIX on the fly

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I have noticed that one or two people mention that they have pictures of the plane they are flying in FS9 but I can't see how they can be produced.

In full screen mode and in the one sitting in the middle of Window there appears to be no way to snapshot the screen display - can anybody please tell me how it is done?

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hey,

If you are talking about taking screenshots, then press the Print Screen button on the top right hand side of your keyboard. Open a program such as Paint and press Control + V and the screenshot will appear.

Or you can use a program such as the one in the link here:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/10574/taking-screenshots/

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Another good screen capture tool is GrabClipSave available here ➡ http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Capture/GrabClipSave.shtml

Very small and reliable.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thanks to you both, the additional replies reached by the first link are interesting and I will further digest what has been written.

Noted re the Grab software and briefly brought it up for a looksee.

Slight problem, that probably isn't a problem at all! My Logitech keyboard doesn't have a dedicated key for "Print Screen" at the RH side of the unit but there is a shared key "PrtScr" above "SysRq" and there are two others in an adjacent position "Scroll" above "Lock" and "Pause" above "Break". Needless to say I've never used any of the three and don't know which of the "Shift", "Ctrl" or "Alt" keys is used to discriminate between the functions. I don't know what "SysRq" or the others do. Can you please advise?

I don't have Paint but I do have "Adobe Paintshop" - do we reckon that will work just as well as it contains all the necessary functions, such as "Crop" etc?

rgds

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

That's the one Aldeeb, you got the right key. All you have to do is hit that key, with GCS you most likely won't even notice that anything is happening, it's that smooth.
The beauty of it all is that during installation you create a folder and point GCS to it, it will remain like this until you change it. In other words, unless you change the target, the pics continue accumulating in that folder.
Just follow the instructions during installation, they're very clear - I don't think you'll have any problems. If you do, you know you can always ask.

Regarding graphics editor, since you have Adobe Paintshop, you don't have to bother with MS Paint at all.

To take the screenshots, once you have GCS installed, you don't need to use a graphics editor anyway. You only use it later for the fancy work.

OMG, I make it sound much more difficult than it is 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

don't worry about it saying Sys Rq - it's irrelevant on windows systems. just hit the button and all will be well.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I brought up the above and located the download part but it did not appear to download although it certainly tried - did you have any problems with it?
rgds

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thanks for the link to gcs.exe which I have downloaded and installed. When done the daily household chores will see what I can do with it, and first of all to find it!

Downloaded a screen shot and put it into Adobe Paintshop where it duly appeared but had the Windows frame around it which I must see if can crop out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

What happens is when you hit your Prt Scrn key you won't notice anything happening unless you have a very old computer.

The screen shot however will have been taken and will be in the Target Folder you've assigned.

All screen shots will be saved in the same format, unless you decide to change it for whatever reason. The common format used for uploading to flightsim portals like this one is .jpg.

I am in the habit of just snapping away when I'm in the mood and go to check out, weed out and crop/edit the snapshots only occasionally.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Sorry for stick my noose in your interesting conversation.I just let you know about this ➡

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/11288/guide-to-upload-our-pics/

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Got the Grab up and running but for some reason the file gcs0001.jpg appeared in my c:\ root. I duly copied it to where I wanted but I guess I missed a setting up instruction to create a folder destination for grabbed pix.

Glad to see other participants as this is after all the whole purpose of the forum and I'm glad to see that my initial posting is of interest.

rgds all.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

As you can see below if you choose Output from Grab options you can browse the Directory you want your shots to be saved.

Feel free to ask anything. 😉

Last edited by Greekman72 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thanks for your reply - I thought I had missed something in my haste to get it up and running.
rgds

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...