SearchSearch 

How many folks bought a new computer for Flight Sim

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

OK, I am curious. How many folks out there purchased a new computer after getting flight sim? I am starting to think that my 5-year old machine isn't cutting the mustard any more,

27 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Well I kept the same PC, but shortly after I got a laptop with 512RAM and I now play it on that 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I kept my PC but added to the memory and upgraded the GFX card

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

No changes at all.(Till i try FSX then we will discuss it.... 😉 )

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I haven't bought a new computer for FS at all. The only change I have made is added an extra gig of RAM and I should be getting a new video card soon 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

When I got my PC over a year ago it played flight sim OK I was happy. I took it into a shop to upgrade my RAM for 512 to 1024 and they blew the computer (I mafe a topic in the off-topic forum I think 😉 ) and had to build a whole new PC and change everything from the orignial setup. Eveything was changed about from the HD and my CD drive. Everything else was new.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Didn't change a thing just for FS9, although my GFX card isn't dealing with add-ons as well as I'd like it (nVidia FX5200 128MB). With just default scenery it performs quite alright, but frames tend to drop quite a bit when it's dealing with addon scenery.

Other purchases I prioritized (my own little speedboat :groupwave🙂 prevented me from upgrading though.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I just upgraded my video card but will build a new computer for FSX and Windows Vista. The one I have now won't handle either.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

I didnt upgrade for FS2004 but I am saving up for a new one when FSX comes out. Hopefully i can get a high spec machine off of Mesh for a reasonable price.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

My computer has seen FS2002 & FS2004. I plan on getting a new one this fall in order to run FSX.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Prozac919 wrote:

OK, I am curious. How many folks out there purchased a new computer after getting flight sim? I am starting to think that my 5-year old machine isn't cutting the mustard any more,

I didn't purchase a new one after the release of fs9 (maybe I should have).
I will buy a new computer a few weeks after both, FSX and VISTA have been released.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I bought a new computer three years ago for flight simulator and I'm about to by a new computer again. I want the fastest dual processors that I can get, dual 256 MB video cards, 4 GB of ram. Two 19 in or bigger monitors. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Just upgraded to a ATI Radeon 9600 pro 256 and 2 gig of RAM. May change the processor for FSX but i'll see how it goes (currently 2.4 GHz P4)..........

I Can Fly! Guest

kianok, was that plane taking off? 😳 What happened to it?

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

No its landing (Kind of!).... not sure what happend next 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

kianok wrote:

No its landing (Kind of!).... not sure what happend next 😕

i think a lot of Fear Fear Fear with Puke Up Puke Up Puke Up and finally Angry Angry Angry for company and pilots...

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

with a bit of Oops! for good measure!

p.s. thanks again GM for helping me get my sig on here in the first place 🍻

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I did, I rebuilt my 1GHz machine into a 3GHz 1.5GB ram 9800 radeon card machine and bought a big fan to blow at it. I equiped her with ch yoke and padels...
now this box is only for flight sim, dont use for anything else...... 🙂

lucky74 Guest

I ran FS2000, FS2002 without difficulties on my old pc and had a lot of fun with FS2004 on it too. With 2004 I struggled with frame rate at certain airports such as Heathrow and experienced some very jerky landings as a result.

In October I got a new PC and was astounded with the smoothness of Heathrow with all gfx settings set at maximum.

I now play FS2004 on the following spec PC.

AMD Athlon 4600 x2
2GB DDR400 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

Its just become much more real. Can't wait for the next version, I just hope that all my add ons for FS2004 will still work.

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Yes I bought a new PC, specifically for FS :-

AMD FX55, 2048Mb RAM, GeForce 7800 GTX.

Awesome apart from some issues with the Graphics Card Drivers that GeForce need to resolve.

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Prozac919 wrote:

I didn't purchase a new one after the release of fs9 (maybe I should have).
I will buy a new computer a few weeks after both, FSX and VISTA have been released.

That is actually a very good plan. You will avoid the time and expense of upgrading from Windows XP.

Pro Member Trainee
nik_simpson Trainee

Can you buy FS NOW?!?!?!?!??! is it in stores !?!?!?

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

nik_simpson wrote:

Can you buy FS NOW?!?!?!?!??! is it in stores !?!?!?

Assuming you mean FSX then the answer is no

It is due for release in December this year but you probably won't see it around until Jan 07.

Pro Member Trainee
nik_simpson Trainee

Ahh darn i can't wait , my dad bought me a very goot P 4 with like 200 gigs of memory for my birtday so FSX will work spectacularly on my computer.

k_camacho11 Guest

I'm running on 3 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Pentium D processor...Flight Simulator is working smoooooootthhhh.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

nik_simpson wrote:

Ahh darn i can't wait , my dad bought me a very goot P 4 with like 200 gigs of memory for my birtday so FSX will work spectacularly on my computer.

200 gigs of memory... jees 😳

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

lucky74 wrote:

I ran FS2000, FS2002 without difficulties on my old pc and had a lot of fun with FS2004 on it too. With 2004 I struggled with frame rate at certain airports such as Heathrow and experienced some very jerky landings as a result.

In October I got a new PC and was astounded with the smoothness of Heathrow with all gfx settings set at maximum.

I now play FS2004 on the following spec PC.

AMD Athlon 4600 x2
2GB DDR400 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

Its just become much more real. Can't wait for the next version, I just hope that all my add ons for FS2004 will still work.

Wow, that is one awesome PC! Would you mind telling me what sort of FPS you are getting with your settings maxed out? I'm hopeful to get a similar sort of computer in the future.

Pro Member Trainee
Mike Chute (moscue) Trainee

I did; I have a complete system with a double 40gb hardrive--1 for windows and all othe stuff and 1 dedicated to FS and LINKS 2001 new 19" montor and the top of the line video that let's me run FS at 30 fsec