Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

I don't get this picture...

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Thats a time lapse photography picture taken.

Basically the camera is setup on a tripod and the shutter is left open for a very long time.

The constant stream of lights either side are the aircraft's wingtip strobes I expect and the middle red light must be a more intermittent light.

The angle the pic is grabbed from makes the aircraft's descent look a lot steeper than it is.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

but why are only the lights there, and not the aircraft? the picture must be modified?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

No the picture isnt modified my friend.Insight describes very well the method that these kind of pictures been shoted. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Because the aircraft is moving at speed and its surface is very dark in relation to the lights around it, not enough light from the fuselage and wings make it onto the film in the camera. Therefore it seems you cannot see the aircraft.

I don't know if you have ever seen time lapse filming of cars in traffic before but lots of people have filmed it..

When the cars are moving you can see their lights tracing along but no car. When they stop you can see the car.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

A very interesting picture and concept Shocked Haven't ever seen one even similar to that before Cool

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I must correct myself by the way, its not quite time lapse photography, that is lots of pictures taken over time of a subject - which shows how plants grow and so on.

This is night photography.

i had a look on google

this picture demonstrates the theory a bit better

http://www.avidphotos.com/search/dsp_single_photo.cfm?category_name=Aircraft&file_name=VH-VBD_170903_YPAD_NIGHT_359-5999med.jpg&filename_id=707

You can see how the forground aircraft looks transparent.

The shutter on the camera was opened before it came into shot which is why you can "see through" parts of the aircraft, then at some point it entered and paused at that point long enough for the camera to register its presence on the film. Then it moved off again without stopping, hence the lights (being brighter and exposing the film more quickly) being seen as a streak heading off to the right of the screen.

In your original picture obviously the aircraft is moving much faster constantly, so the film never gets to "see" it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I would say it was a takeoff and not a landing though

The red middle light would be the beacon on top of the aircraft

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

I would say it was a takeoff and not a landing though

The red middle light would be the beacon on top of the aircraft

Expertize notice Exclamation Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Well spotted TTT

Cleared for takeoff with a southbound turnout.

Wink

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

Sorry if I am stupid or something, but I still just don't get it.. how can those lights be in so many places in the instant the photo was taken?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

SeanGa wrote:

Sorry if I am stupid or something, but I still just don't get it.. how can those lights be in so many places in the instant the photo was taken?

You leave the lens open for a period of time, 5-10 seconds whatever you think will look the best.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Check out this picture of cars on a motorway

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=411895

Same type of slow shutter speed shot leaving out the cars and just capturing only the lights.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

To take this type of photo you need a camera which has a variable shutter speed plus one that can leave the shutter open for whatever time you require(normally a SLR,though some better digi cams do have this).
In addition to this you need a tripod for the camera and a remote shutter release device(cheapest would be a plunger type cable fixed to the shutter button,Why? even just gently pressing the button would move the camera and spoil the image)

I would guess that the film was exposed (lens open)for about 2 mins ?

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Sorry.... wrong link....should have been this

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Vey nice link Kianok Exclamation .Thank you Wink

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

ok I see... but hey.. then this is kinda not a picture but something inbetween a picture and a video?

it's like cheating! omg Twisted Evil

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

that is one amazing photo, think it might become my desktop background for a while!!

Micah Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i studied photography for a while, so here's a picca: