Localizer

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

When making a ILR flight and coming in to land you hear "Maintain 1700 until established on the localizer" from ATC or something along those lines. What does this mean?

Thanks!

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

What this means is that until you have contact witht tower that you are landing at - keep that altide you are given. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

lol I kind of gathered that bit, its the until established on the localizer bit I dont understand.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

It means to stay at that altitude until established on the localizer(LOC needle centered). There after, your altitude is dictated by the approach chart for that approach. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Thank you very much.

Where can I get the charts from? Are they built into FS?

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

i get mine here http://www.airnav.com/ i think they only have airports in the us though

Don Wood Guest

"maintain 1,700 until established on the localiser" DOES NOT mean to remain at 1,700 feet until you have contact with the tower. It means, as CRJCapt said, to maintain 1,700 while you are intercepting the localiser course line and then, decend as specified in the published IFR approach you are flying. If that localiser has a glide slope, then you would descend as defined by the glide slope indicator in the cockpit. If it does not, you would descend as allowed at the various intersections, markers, ADFs, or DME locations as published in the approach.

I have a more basic question. Why are you attempting to fly IFR approaches if you do not know what a basic IFR instruction means? I recommend you go to the learning center and start going through the IFR training.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...