PSS 777 v PMDG 747?

I recently got the Level D 767 and really love it - best one yet for me (beating my previous fav of 340 Professional)

I am wanting a larger long-haul Boeing and these seem to be the two main ones on offer?

Any views on what is best?
Does the 777 feel more "modern" than the 340 Professional, which feels a little dated compared with the newer 767

I am sure I will get some helpful views here, love my flying but am a bit of a novice

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

With regards to the topic name of your post, i have been a PMDG faithful for a long time now. For me it is the best. Whilst i have not ventured much into other payware airliners, i feel that the PMDG 747 would be the better of the two. Someone who has both may be of better advice.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Eh, I was hoping I could say the PSS 777, but sadly the quality is not there. There are plenty of bugs still unaddressed, poorly managed help in their forums, and just not a superb quality plane. It's been grounded in my hanger for approximately 2 or 3 months now (since the pre-release and release) becasue a patch fixing some fairly major issues for me has not been given.

The PMDG 747 is a truly solid plane. A member of UVA participated in the testing and design who is a real world 747 captain, and it gets her thumbs up. The systems are stable, the modeling is accurate, and the handling is right on the mark. You won't go wrong with that investment.

fmpjb1 Guest

do u suppose that the patch that pss supplies, will adequately fix all of the pss 777's problems?

i have a pmdg 737NG package and it is first class, just wish it had a WX fxn on the ND🙂 so i imagine that the pmdg 747 is also a great package, although i have not flown the pmdg 747, only saw a video on it.

right now i am up in the air waiting for the patch to the pss 777 to come out, then i will make a decision on whether to go with the level D 767 (which i have heard good things about) or the PSS 777. i just hope that the patch turns the pss 777 into the same quality as a pmdg plane.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

I'd also have to recommend the PMDG 747. The amount of reasearch PMDG put into developing this plane is astounding, and you can really tell by the quality of the product in the end. Seriously, this is an absolute must for anyone who wants a realistic jet simulation experience!

You shalln't be disappointed 😉

Pro Member Captain

There are plenty of things that will be helped along by the patch I am sure, but there are still plenty of "flaws" that wouldn't be fixed by a patch (i.e., non-includes, annoyances, and simply not that pleasant interfaces).

For instance, the warning sound logic for engine startup is flawed, so when a cold/dark plane is first loaded up the user hears several blaring warning sounds one after the other. PSS has made it clear this will not be altered. Several issues to do with lighting the aircraft (you must be using the original default-flight startup in a cessna before loading the aircraft, or else all external lights may be disabled) have only been given "half" fixes. They also have chosen not to include a fix button in the FMC, a slight nuisance for a more serious flyer. The dynamics of the plane are also fairly loose, and can feel very unrealistic for a plane of that size.

Probably the biggest annoyance I have with it: The main exit door button opens all 8 doors 😳 . There isn't even a way to open it WITHOUT the other 8 doors. "Passengers, de-plane through the door of your choosing, but be warned about the first step on doors 2-8" 😂 . PSS has no intention of changing this.

So yes, if PSS comes up with a miracle in their patch you will certainly hear about it here, as I'm one to rave about new toys 😉 , but if it remains the way it does, absolutly buy the 747. I almost only fly the 747 for UVA now, on everything from 1 hr to 14 hr flights!

Thanks guys, sounds like the PMDG 747 will maybe have to join the truly excellent 767 level d in my hangar here in Scotland

Shame the PSS 777 is not slightly better, it would be nice to have.

I am also looking forward to the PMDG MD-11 as i love the the shape of the md/dc10.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Originalgrunge, just curious, surely UAV wouldn't have any 1hr flights in a 744??

i see talk of a flightsim2006 on the horizon. If I buy things like the PMDG 747, will it work with 2006 when it comes out?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Yea, I'm putting any purchases on hold pending FSX. The Feelthere 737 PIC was the last. I am sure the PMDG is better than the PSS, but 60 dollars? Really?! I don't know... I have neither, I don't have the PMDG737 and will never get it. If the MD11 is reasonably priced, maybe.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

i see talk of a flightsim2006 on the horizon. If I buy things like the PMDG 747, will it work with 2006 when it comes out?

I hope so, i bought it yesterday on the basis that MS have stated that FSX will be backwards compatible.

Doesn't guarantee anything though 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
patw First Officer

I did have the PSS 777 but did not find it easy to handle, have since moved to to PMDG 737 and now the 747 which are far better than the PSS 777. you can find my PSS 777 parked up in a desert in the US awaiting for whoever wants it.

P.

Pro Member Captain

Well, I wouldn't worry about buying planes with the risk of not being able to use them soon, since I'm fairly certain microsoft will make their planes backwards compatible. The scenery won't be, and that's for sure! Plus, we still have a good year+ before FSX comes around, so enjoy FS9 to the fullest!

In response to the question about UVA's 1hr 747 flights, the answer is one word: codeshares 😉 . We recently adopted nearly all the StarAlliance flights into our schedule, so if you fly out to China, Japan, or Australia on a regular United flight, you might find an Air China, Al Nippon, or New Zealand Air flight for a quick hop!

is it really that long til fsx? I thought it would be summer 06?

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I trully recomend the PMDG 747.

is there a rough eta for the FSX?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

is there a rough eta for the FSX?

Late this year, around the holiday's. The same with Windows Vista.

Read this forum.

Radar

Thanks for the advice guys, have just ordered the PMDG 747 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...