Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Buy yoke in Denver area

Pro Member Trainee
switchdoc Trainee

Hey all,

I realize I am unlikely to get a hit on this, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

I've been wanting to buy a yoke and throttle type controller set but I am having a difficulty. The difficulty is that I don't want to buy online and I can't seem to find any store anywhere in the Denver area that sells these off the shelf anymore.

This isn't really a case of being Internet phobic or anything, I just want to see, touch, feel, play with, etc the yoke before I buy it. Also as I am new and don't have a lot of money to invest in a set up I am not necessarily in need of one of the nice CHproduct setups I know are out there, at least not right away.

I've tried all the big chain electronic/gaming/multimedia stores (Radio shack, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc, and nadda, zip, nope, nothing even remotely like a yoke. You can however buy those cheesy PS2 style controllers in 8 million different colors and I have to ask, who needs a Fuscia PS2 Controller???

But, I digress...

Anyone have any idea where in the Denver area I might go to find one of these, even a cheesy one? I'll take cheesy. I'm desperate. I have serious issues. It's terrible. 🙂

Thanks,

Switch

::edit:: Fixed typo in title

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Call, write, or e-mail to them and ask what store carries their yoke.

Bottom of page "contact".
http://www.chproducts.com/retail/y_fsyusb.html

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
switchdoc Trainee

Hey radarman thanks for the reply!

I did see the listing of resellers, unfortunately only one or two of those are in this area and they didn't have the yokes when I checked.

I meant to mention this in my previous post and completely forgot!

-Switch

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you let the company know that you are interested they may contact one of the stores to carry one.
Then you could go in, look at it, try it and then get it on line much cheaper than in a brick and mortar store.
Amazon is low priced and I don't think they charge shipping or tax, you'd have to check that.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I might be misreading your actual request.

If indeed you're already fixed on a Yoke, then stop reading right here.

I can relate to your wanting to touch and feel the item before you buy it, also I'm in a similar situation as there is no store anywhere nearby where I could actually handle the CH products.

To make matters worse, I've learned only recently, that unless you buy the pedals as well, you won't have independent rudder control - i.e only auto-rudder.

As a possible alternative I've been looking at the Saitek-X52. Of course, it's not a Yoke, but hey you've gotta compromise somewhere. I know of at least one recent convert who is blissfully happy with the X52. Oh yes, the point is, you should be able to find a store in your vicinity that stocks it so you'll be able to get a feel for it before you buy.

Pro Member Trainee
switchdoc Trainee

Heya Tailhook,

I did look at the Saitek when I was out shopping and it does seem like a pretty good combo, especially if you also want to play other flight simulators involving missles Wink

It looks like it has a lot of programable buttons, which is definitely a plus, I want to get as much of the work off the keyboard and onto the controller as possible.

Right now I am using a cheapy $20 joystick which does at least have a throttle control, 3 progamable buttons (change view, trim up, trim down) and a hat switch for looking around. Its a vast improvement over the keyboard. I don't care what Microsoft says, its dang near impossible to control a plane with the num keys. ❗

I'd say the only downside of a joystick vs a yoke (and perhaps people will come in here to correct me if I am under a misconception) is that I get the impression a yoke would make it far easier to hold turns more solidly and hold angles of acscent because it doesn't want to bounce back to center position as soon as you let it go.

As I said, I may be misinformed on that one though

Still, I think I will go back and take another look at that Saitek. Thanks for reminding me of it!

-Switch

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

switchdoc wrote:

I'd say the only downside of a joystick vs a yoke (and perhaps people will come in here to correct me if I am under a misconception) is that I get the impression a yoke would make it far easier to hold turns more solidly and hold angles of acscent because it doesn't want to bounce back to center position as soon as you let it go.

As I said, I may be misinformed on that one though

-Switch

Sounds about right to me but like yourself Switch I can't be sure because I don't own a yoke.

As I mentioned before, my only gripe with the CH yoke is that you need the pedals as well in order to have independant rudder control. A bit out of my league at the moment.
I hope you'll let us all know what you did get once you've raided the piggy bank Juggle 😀