Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Windows OneCare

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer
Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

hmm

looks like a memory / processor hogger device to me, as most of these alleged "tune up" applications are

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Approximately 100 million computers have NortonAV on them (at $29 or more a year).
McAfee is second.
MS want's a piece of the action and will get it for that low price they will charge, $49 year for the entire package for a three 3 computers license is way below NAV at $79, and will integrate with Windows better than any other. They do own both.

http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/news/breakingnews.jhtml;jsessionid=N3QX11R1CTZSSQSNDBCSKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleId=18816555&_requestid=407927

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I don't like it. It runs in the background and consumes computer resources. Many of the features are free or covered by other programs. May be OK for someone with minimal computer skills that just wants one stop shopping and doesn't run high level games or demanding programs. Sad

I've had good luck with System Mechanic.

http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Let's see if I have this right. MS wants me to give up my free antivirus, my firewall which I only had to pay for once, the backup program which came with My 300GB Maxtor OneTouch, my free automated MS updates and sundry other things that were either free or I only had to pay for once. They want me to exchange this for the same functionality that will cost me 50 bucks a year, until the end of time?!?!

MS has obviously been emboldened by the fact that millions of people are stupid enough to buy water in a bottle at a price that is higher than gasoline.

I already unloaded their beta antispyware app when stuff from companies MS was interested in acquiring, started disappearing from the spyware definitions.

Last, but not least, MS wants us to use its software to protect us from the built in vulnerabilities of its other software? Not on my computers!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I never like monopolies.They are adversely in human will.They offer an OS.This is enough for me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If someone offered a better product there wouldn't be monopolies.
Norton (Symantec) has been cruising along offering poor customer service and a memory hog for an anti virus, it's time for someone to give them a push

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

If someone offered a better product there wouldn't be monopolies.
Norton (Symantec) has been cruising along offering poor customer service and a memory hog for an anti virus, it's time for someone to give them a push

Radar

Yes i agree about Symantec and not only.
But i was talking about MS's try to take the biggest piece of pie in peripheral programs.(if i get excactly what you meant Embarassed )

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

But i was talking about MS's try to take the biggest piece of pie in peripheral programs.(if i get excactly what you meant Embarassed )

Hey, that's what all companies do, everyone tries to expand their share in the market Wink

But anyway, given the incredible amount of trash on a common HD that windows already fails to clean up after itself, I'd be utterly sceptical towards an MS product that is supposed to be taking care of this (amongst other things).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

ARD-DC wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

Hey, that's what all companies do, everyone tries to expand their share in the market Wink

But anyway, given the incredible amount of trash on a common HD that windows already fails to clean up after itself, I'd be utterly sceptical towards an MS product that is supposed to be taking care of this (amongst other things).

The already known fact that all companies do such a think doesn't mean that we have to accept or like it Wink .Speaking for myself of course. Smile

Maybe i was misunderstood or something.I don't said anything opposite than the already spoken from all the others.
To make it clearer ...I use and will always use MS's OSs but i will never can accept WMP(windows media player)as the best player(an example).
I think that the majority of us have use occasionally a load of others programs in order to clean ,refresh,back up,fix Windows problems(of course we always put our little hand to create these problems Wink )

I wish i was clear now.... Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I know what you are saying but I'm not going to avoid them if their product is as good at a lower price or better than the competition.
There are too many MS bashers (not you) that wont buy it just because it's from them.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I know what you are saying but I'm not going to avoid them if their product is as good at a lower price or better than the competition.
There are too many MS bashers (not you) that wont buy it just because it's from them.

Radar

I get your point RadarMan.And i agree.The only think that remains is to check the packet they are offering and discuss it.
So i think that we have a lot of work and discussions to do... Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Hey Crash

Is your Maxtor one touch any good? I was looking at getting one but they seem to have mixed reviews...

I can't believe so many people use Norton Radarman - it is terrible for resources on a machine.. and hard to uninstall and remove trace of too!

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Some good comments guy's Thumbs Up! looks like I wont be giving it a go Nope

CRJCapt
I've just been reading through the System Mechanic page, sounds/looks very good, which version do you use? I could be tempted to invest in the Professional version. I've just installed Norton anti-virus 2006, (not without problems), but System Mechanic has alot of features Norton does'nt have. Thanks for the link. Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I already unloaded their beta antispyware app when stuff from companies MS was interested in acquiring, started disappearing from the spyware definitions.

If you happen to pass by here again, I'd appreciate if you'd elaborate a bit.

I've been running MS antispyware ever since it first appeared and promptly installed each new version.
For the first few months I used to run a manual scan daily as I do with the other preventive/protective apps, but finally scheduled a daily automatic scan for Microsoft Antispyware.

During all this time Microsoft Antispyware has not even once detected anything, whereas Spybot and Adaware do find the odd spy- malware. I find it curious that MS antispyware always gives me a clean bill of health. Any ideas or theories?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

Hey Crash

Is your Maxtor one touch any good? I was looking at getting one but they seem to have mixed reviews...

The drive is fine. The backup software is mediocre, but since I got the 300GB $200, I'm not complaining. Unless you have some really sophisticated backup needs, it should be fine

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

thanks for that crash- I may very well invest in one

Pro Member Chief Captain

It's still going strong. While it does have a software setup to require the entry of a password to access the drive after you boot up (or plug the drive into a computer, I find it annoying to keep having the windows popup asking what I want to open the files with, showing up.

If you have any sensitive files, I'd recommend SimplySafe Backup 2004. They have a free edition (limited to 80,0000 files in a backup set) that encrypts the files before storing them to the media. That encryption is strong enough to withstand all but the computers at NSA or MI6. Wink