SearchSearch 

Is Rod necessary?

Pro Member Trainee
crossland99 Trainee

I've had FS2004 for almost a year, and I'm having a blast. I'm learning a lot from these forums (thanks!) and the game's Learning Center. But I've tried the Rod Machado lessons...and I really don't like 'em. My learning style doesn't mesh well with Rod's instruction. I usually do well with "hands-on" instruction, but that's with instructors who are actually there in the room and can take questions and who don't tell the same jokes over and over.

So I'm asking for opinions, should I tough it out and go through Rod's lessons, or is it possible to learn on your own from other sources? Or, maybe some of his lessons are more valuable than others?

Thanks!

9 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Personally, I think the lesssons are fairly useful to a certain extent. They provide a good basis for knowledge, but as you identify, they don't really provide a hands on approach as much as it could do. I didn't learn to fly on the sim using his lessons. I just started my own flight and messed around 🙄

Very useful for beginners though; it teaches the basics well, but doesn't explain more complex situations very well in my opinion 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Well I have gone throught alot of his lessons and althought they take a lot of effort - you feel like you have achieved something 😉

It is a good idea to take them - they are very very useful and helpful! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

I didn't learn to fly on the sim using his lessons. I just started my own flight and messed around 🙄

Me too! And I thought I was the only dummy who didn't finish the lessons 😂

It seems that we learnt how to fly through the most difficult way 😎 I made a few lessons, got the private pilot certificate, and that's it. But that was after I learnt to fly.

Many people may think that if we didn't do the lessons we may fly bad, not knowing what to do in any stage of the flight. But I can surely tell those people that I don't fly like that. Learning how to fly by myself was very interesting. I used the Learning Center to learn a few things, but the rest was learnt by looking at websites, checklist, etc.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

If you know someone who is a pilot and they will sit down with you that is the best way, the lessons are good for those who have no other source of instruction. There is quite a bit of information in the sim that you can read and taking the time to read it is worthwhile if you are new to flying.

Just remember, this is a sim, not the real thing. There are certain things the sim cannot duplicate. Mastering the sim doesn't mean you are ready to fly the real thing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i only got flight sim in september, without any real knowledge about planes - and didn't think to even look on the web for stuff. took nearly all the lessons and eventually passed all the ones i tried. defo taught me very well.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

99jolegg wrote:

I didn't learn to fly on the sim using his lessons. I just started my own flight and messed around 🙄

Me too! And I thought I was the only dummy who didn't finish the lessons 😂

It seems that we learnt how to fly through the most difficult way 😎 I made a few lessons, got the private pilot certificate, and that's it. But that was after I learnt to fly.

Many people may think that if we didn't do the lessons we may fly bad, not knowing what to do in any stage of the flight. But I can surely tell those people that I don't fly like that. Learning how to fly by myself was very interesting. I used the Learning Center to learn a few things, but the rest was learnt by looking at websites, checklist, etc.

😂

I was terrible. I was one of those people that started in the 737 and learnt bits at a time and just experimented. That was FS95. When I bought FS9 in 2004, I learnt a lot from here and more experimentation. Once I had learnt to manage to touchdown heavy aircraft in FS9, I moved on to the smaller aircraft. I never asked for help on how to fly the heavy jets, just liked to experiment with them Poke in Eye Only problem being, it takes 5 times as long to do it that way 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I also started with the 737. Then I moved to GA aircraft to practice a bit, but I was still flying the 737. After I while I was able to fly a 777 or 747 very good. The landings were smooth, etc. I have only flown the 747 a few flights. Finally I ended up flying all Airbus and learning how to fly them. The A340 Professional helped me a lot.

I did ask for help on how to fly heavy jets here. There's many posts I made with questions.

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

well, i completed the first basic lesson, then i went by the seat-of-my-pants. 🙂

I think Switchdoc is right in his thread about Rod.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/11984/run-ins-with-rod-rant-by-switchdoc/

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

crossland99 wrote:

I've had FS2004 for almost a year, and I'm having a blast. I'm learning a lot from these forums (thanks!) and the game's Learning Center. But I've tried the Rod Machado lessons...and I really don't like 'em. My learning style doesn't mesh well with Rod's instruction. I usually do well with "hands-on" instruction, but that's with instructors who are actually there in the room and can take questions and who don't tell the same jokes over and over.

So I'm asking for opinions, should I tough it out and go through Rod's lessons, or is it possible to learn on your own from other sources? Or, maybe some of his lessons are more valuable than others?

Thanks!

Just to add another opinion ➡ https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/11984/run-ins-with-rod-rant-by-switchdoc/

Somewhere in this thread you'll find mine 🙂