SearchSearch 

Aircraft Lightning

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

What the !!!! 😳 😳 😳

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/planelightning.html

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Its quite an old video(Ive been looking for ages for it)
It shows how lightning does infact strike twice

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

fourby wrote:

What the !!!! 😳 😳 😳

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/planelightning.html

Could you please explain why you are surprised by this? Electricity in all its forms takes the path of least resistance. If the plane is in the right place the lightning will use it as a conductor and will continue on its way.

This is not lightning striking twice (even though it is a myth that it never strikes more than once in the same place), but the electrical discharge continuing on to the point of opposite polarity.

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

I fully agree with what you say CG, But correct me if I'm wrong, ( or anyone else ) but the third clip in slow motion, cleary shows that there are 2 seperate strikes ❓ What surprises me, and even though I dont/wont disagree with objects in the path of lightning used as a conductor etc, the amount of power in the strike that hits/surrounds the aircraft with no damage or loss of control.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

fourby wrote:

What surprises me, and even though I dont/wont disagree with objects in the path of lightning used as a conductor etc, the amount of power in the strike that hits/surrounds the aircraft with no damage or loss of control.

That is because the aircraft is not earthed, so a complete circuit does not take place so electrical systems etc remain unaffected

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

yup, i thought what CG said too at first - but watch it closely and the slow one at the bottom and there are 2 separate strikes

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

CG is in fact correct. 👍 It is the same strike,however all strikes consist of two or more strikes

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lightning.htm

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

All "bolts" of lightning are, if fact composed of many smaller components. When I lived in Arizona there was an incident during the monsoon season where I was inside my home and felt my hair stand on end. I looked out at the deck and saw many electrical sparks around the house. then, there was a brilliant flash all around and a simultaneous loud crack.

It was a truly "electrifying" experience. 😳

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Once my dad and I were flying into Dallas/Ft. Worth and our plane got hit by lightning as we were coming into land. It was so cool! 😀 When it hit the plane you could see it kind of go around the fusalage of the plane from inside. Everything was really bright then the lights flickered and everything was back to normal.
Pretty cool.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

SamIntel wrote:

Once my dad and I were flying into Dallas/Ft. Worth and our plane got hit by lightning as we were coming into land. It was so cool! 😀 When it hit the plane you could see it kind of go around the fusalage of the plane from inside. Everything was really bright then the lights flickered and everything was back to normal.
Pretty cool.

Fear

Sounds like an experience 😳

Pro Member Trainee
MilanNN Trainee

WOW!