SearchSearch 

ILS approaches with dif a/c

Pro Member First Officer
Jason Melancon (Mithheru) First Officer

Has anyone else noticed that different aircraft seem to handle an ILS approach differently?

For example:
In my Cirrus SR22 or some of the Cessna's I almost always have to disengage the autopilot and fly the approach myself. It's always wanting to do a nose-dive at some point and I don't feel comfortable with it doing that especially when it's so close to the ground already.

Now, for an EMB-120 or larger a/c it will do the approach perfectly every time.

As far as I can tell I'm doing exactly the same thing with each a/c.

11 Responses

Pro Member Trainee
nik_simpson Trainee

lool whats wrong with crashing a plane once in a while 😂 it's just a game .

Pro Member First Officer

The passengers in FsPassengers won't take too kindly to that. They're already kranky enough as it is with my handling sometimes. It's like they've never felt turbulence before.

manuel33 Guest

perhaps, with certain airplanes, you are using an approach speed that is too fast ? I can imagine that would send the plane diving, in order to follow the correct glideslope.

Pro Member Trainee
nik_simpson Trainee

😂 where do you dowload Fs Passengers?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

nik_simpson wrote:

😂 where do you dowload Fs Passengers?

Here is their site.
http://www.fspassengers.com/

Radar

Don Wood Guest

I fly C-172 ILS approaches quite often in FS9 and have never had that kind of a problem. The only problem I have seen is the autopilot overshoorting the final approach course and having to correct, however, low cost autopilots such as are usually installed in light aircraft often do that in the real world as well.

As in previous posts on this subject, there are a couple of things to watch out for. First, make sure the NAV/GPS switch on the cockpit instrument panel is set to NAV. Second, as you come up on the glide slope and lateral final approach course, make sure that the APPRCH button is selected on the autopilot and that the HDG, NAV, and ALT buttons are deselected.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Not sure the HDG needs to be selected......

Pro Member First Officer

Don Wood wrote:

As in previous posts on this subject, there are a couple of things to watch out for. First, make sure the NAV/GPS switch on the cockpit instrument panel is set to NAV. Second, as you come up on the glide slope and lateral final approach course, make sure that the APPRCH button is selected on the autopilot and that the HDG, NAV, and ALT buttons are deselected.

That's exactly what I do. It's ok either way. Always good to know how to do a hand-landing, right? It just caught my attention that the small planes are hard to get to do the approach properly and something like the EMB-120 has no problem at all.

My Cirrus did a wonderful approach earlier today at CYVR runway 26L. Other than a Boeing dropping in front of me from above of course. At least he didn't plough through my little plane.

Pro Member Trainee
MilanNN Trainee

Fs Passengers is nice program!!! 😛

Kianok:

Not sure the HDG needs to be selected......

If you were referring to my post just previous to yours, what I said was "... make sure that the APPRCH button is selected on the autopilot and that the HDG, NAV, and ALT buttons are DEselected".

Some autopilots have trouble resolving a setup where both APPRCH and HDG or APPRCH and ALT are selected at the same time.

Don Wood Guest

Sorry - that last post was from me.