Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Global Flyer breaks worlds longest flight record!

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet but today the record for the world's longest continuous flight was broken when Steve Fosset landed at Bournemouth International after completely circling the world once, and then crossing the Atlantic for a second time during a 76 hour long flight!

This article below was taken from http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/

Congratulations to Steve Fossett, who has broken the world record for the longest ever flight in history and made a dramatic landing through the sunset - at Bournemouth Airport.
He travelled 26,389.3 miles and had a flight duration of 76 hours 45 minutes.
Just miles from his destination at Kent International Airport, Steve’s generator failed, which meant a total electrical breakdown.
He was forced to make an emergency Mayday call through to Bournemouth Airport, and was given a short window through which to land.
Chief Executive of Virgin Atlantic, Steve Ridgeway said: "If we didn’t get him down in fifteen minutes, he would have had to have ditched the plane."
The major problem occurred just after Richard had called Steve to congratulate him on his world record, which he actually broke when be flew over Shannon after covering the 26,000 miles required.
On landing, Steve burst two tyres, and his windscreen was iced up so much that he couldn't see even metres in front of him. Not only all that, but he had only 200lbs of fuel left; which if he had continued may well have turned into another emergency!
Sir Richard and Steve’s wife Peggy are with him at Bournemouth. After health checks a very tired Steve will make the journey to Kent International Airport to celebrate his amazing adventure.

You can read more info and download the amazingly accurate ‘Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer’ and attempt to break the record yourself from here: http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/ScienceAviation/vVAGF.jsp

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Yep I saw that on the news tonight CT, good on Steve for achieving yet another world record! It was a shame however that he couldn't go the full distance, but safety has and always will come first.

Congrads mate! Cheers!

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Well, I guess that Brandson isn't just competing with the commercial airlines but he's also competing with the people he buys from [Boeing + Airbus]. Well, almost.

Congrads to Steve.. Cheers!

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Sir Richard centainly is a fascinating person, his business skills are both 'dramatic' yet realistic, and you never know where this business tycoon will be going or what challenge he will be starting next... Rolling Eyes

BTW, (sorry for hijacking the thread CT) has anyone got any autobiographies or biographies about him, I saw a couple of them in the bookshop a few days ago which looked quite interesting, wondering if they would be worth purchasing?

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Well as far as I know, Richard Branson started trading toys at school- with two little ones for a large one, and then the large one for three little ones and so on and so on ... also did you know that he is dyslexic?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

An amazing record Shocked The landing was quite dramatic at Bournemouth Intl Fear

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

cheekytrolly wrote:

Well as far as I know, Richard Branson started trading toys at school- with two little ones for a large one, and then the large one for three little ones and so on and so on ... also did you know that he is dyslexic?

did you also know he was convicted of fraud Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Ok,i think it's really cool that all these guys are breaking world records an di want to congradulate them,but they should leave some!!!!
I still want some left to break when I am at the age to perform such a job as pilot!