Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Probably another ATC bug - but I thought I would ask anyway

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Hey Peeps,

Just wondering if this is a known bug or not.

I have noticed that everytime I land, I have to wait until I am off of the runway before getting an instruction to go to gate. By the time I have got this instruction, I find myself sat on a taxiway and normally I have got to guess which side to turn to.

Is there anyway around this or have I got to hope that this is resolved in FSX?

Ta
Leachus

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

That is how it happens in the real world. Once you have landed, you must clear the runway as soon as possible via a taxiway with the whole aircraft on the taxiway behind the double yellow line. At which point, you tell ATC you have cleared the runway and they will give you a frequency for the Ground ATC, who will give you a taxiing clearence.

Hope it helps Wink

Pro Member First Officer

Oh ok, sorry I never realised because aircraft that I have been on and vids that I have watched show that the planes never stop, could they have prior notice to where they need to go?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think there is a slight delay, just for practicalities sake, but its fairly accurate. The aircraft taxiing off the runway is going fairly slowly so has time to understand the taxiing clearence and confirm it whilst still moving. Pilots will have a basic idea of where they will be taxiing to because they have ground charts and can see gates for the size of their aircraft and where the main terminal is etc Wink

Pro Member First Officer

Ah, Super!

Maybe I am coming off the runway too quick then. About 40knots :p

Pro Member Chief Captain

When you come off the runway, you should be at taxiing speed, i.e. 20-25 knots. If you are more than that, the turn from the runway to the taxiway might reveal some passengers stomach contents, especially if it is a particularly acute turn Wink

Don Wood Guest

In the case of airlines, they already know to which gate they are going to taxi because that is provided to them by their company dispatcher. They also have a second pilot so, as they are turning off the runway, the PNF (pilot not flying) can contact ground for taxi instructions.

In the case of a/c who are based at the landing airport, they know which direction off the runway to turn for their parking. If they have a second pilot, they can be making the call to ground as they turn off the runway.

In the case of single pilots and transient a/c, their flight planning should include where they are going to park and which direction they need to turn off the runway. However, cockpit discipline requires that they not be concentrating on anything but safely navigating the a/c off the runway. For that reason, almost always, single pilots will clear the runway, stop behind the control line on the taxiway, and call ground for taxi clearance to their parking spot.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason Melancon (Mithheru) First Officer

I don't know if this helps any, but watching one of the ITVV movies about a Virgin Atlantic flight from London to California. After the plane lands you hear the tower tell the pilot to "turn left right there" onto a taxiway. Maybe it depends on the airport; not sure.

Pro Member First Officer

What are the ITVV movies like?

I am looking at purchasing one but not sure of the content or quality,

Are there any examples out there?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

They are very professional. I have the Airtours A330 movie and it's very nice. I love that one! Very Happy

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

i think most of the terminals are on either side of the runway, and most of parking spots are close to the terminal....my rule of thumb is: before getting off the runway, look both sides, if you see the terminal is on your right, then turn right, not always acurate, but mostly is.....