Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Safe Distance Apart

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

I have been looking at the following photo carefully. The comments that go with it state, that these two aircraft are 1000ft apart. I know that pictures can be deceitful at times, but would you agree at 1000ft ??? more ? or less ?

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1000914/M/

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i think that is perfectly feasable, in height wise obviously!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Shocked That's an awesome picture!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

They could be 7000 feet or more apart from each other. There was an article in the newspaper that made it look like two aircraft were about to collide. Its very deceiving from the ground Wink

Pro Member Trainee
MilanNN Trainee

Great photo!

matt7723 Guest

RVSM allows aircraft to have only 1000 feet of vertical seperation. They could be only 1000 feet apart, or they could be 10000 feet apart. Its hard to tell from the ground.

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Well are there any experts on contrails here, because I think they would only form at similar altitudes, e.g. 3000 ft for a rough guess, so they may not be very far apart? Confused

I would highly doubt they would be 10,000 ft apart, there is virtually no size difference in the picture, my estimate would be between 1000-3000 ft apart, but I'm no expert! Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The reason I would have thought that they would be further apart than 1000 feet is because the aircraft are heavy aircraft (744 and the 343) currently the two biggest aircraft in service. It would seem strange that they would be that close. I hope they have their altimeters set correctly Fear

Anyway:

Picture Remark wrote:

Jet Airways A340-313 flight 121 from London to Dehli at FL330 and Cargolux (flight 749 from Baku to Lux at FL340)

Thumbs Up!

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

jarred_01 wrote:

I would highly doubt they would be 10,000 ft apart, there is virtually no size difference in the picture, my estimate would be between 1000-3000 ft apart, but I'm no expert! Laughing

I was thinking on the same lines as jarred_01 as regards aircraft size difference.
As the picture remark states....
Picture Remark wrote:
Jet Airways A340-313 flight 121 from London to Dehli at FL330 and Cargolux (flight 749 from Baku to Lux at FL340)

1000ft apart maybe acceptable, but if it was me sat in either cockpit, watching the other aircraft getting closer, I think it would be a case of ......
"erm, stewardess !!! new pants please !!! Shocked "
Getting back to distance apart, and judging distance apart by aircraft size, the following photo shows what I think jarred_01 means by aircraft size.
The 747 is 2000ft above the photographer, and the 777 is 4000ft above the photographer, the photographer is taking the shot from the flightdeck of a B777 at FL340. So, looking up from the ground stood at the right angle at all 3 aircraft, at 34000, 36000, and 38000ft, I suppose they'd all look to be at the same level, if you get my meaning.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0989943/M/