SearchSearch 

Downloading problems

Pro Member Trainee
lbikid25 Trainee

I am having trouble getting my downloads onto my game. I am getting really mad because i want to fly these planes please Help!!! Thank you

11 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Replied here:

😉

Pro Member Trainee
Lt_Fred Trainee

Server gives an error saying the post is not available. I'm having problems too adding an aircraft to MS Flight Simulator 2004.

The plane I'm adding is the DeHavilland CC-138 Twin Sea Otter for FS2004.

When this file is unzipped, do you just dump it into ...

c:\program files\microsoft games\flight simulator 9

or do you place them in ...

c:\program files\microsoft games\flight simulator 9\Aircraft

with the rest of the planes.

I did it by the docs which says to put it in the main directory, (which is flight simulator 9 on my computer). But the plane is not showing up.

Also, since I have FS1998, 2000, and 2002 on the system, could the executable be confused?

Any help for a newbee would be appreciated.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
Lt_Fred Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

Try this link.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/page/34/installing-addon-flight-simulator-downloads/

Radar

Thanks, I'll try that. I appreciate the help.

Lt Fred

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Lt_Fred wrote:

Also, since I have FS1998, 2000, and 2002 on the system, could the executable be confused?

Unfortunately, this can and does happen. I always try to target a folder that I've just created if the .exe lets me. If it refuses, I ditch the whole a/c and look for a better one.

If you decide to use the .exe regardless, make sure the appropriate FS version is targeted during installation -- if it isn't -- browse/navigate to the correct path/location.
That's the best you can do.

Pro Member Trainee
Lt_Fred Trainee

Ok, Tailhook, I deleted everything FS related off the system and did a new install. Tried the flights and different airports that come with the program and everything works as advertised.

I then installed the crack so I didn't have to keep CD-4 in the drive, and it works as well.

I then downloaded a new aircraft, and the instructions said to make a directory in the Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft/ directory, which I named C30. So the path is Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft/C30.

This is different from the other instructions, but it does seem logical since in the /Aircraft directory is all the planes that come with the program.

So I wonder, do you have to do something within the program to get it to recognize the new plane, or does it just appear when you restart the program?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Lt_Fred wrote:

I then downloaded a new aircraft, and the instructions said to make a directory in the Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft/ directory, which I named C30. So the path is Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft/C30.

This is different from the other instructions, but it does seem logical since in the /Aircraft directory is all the planes that come with the program.

So I wonder, do you have to do something within the program to get it to recognize the new plane, or does it just appear when you restart the program?

Yes, it is logical and it should work if other conventions are adhered to. Let me point out that it could be so much easier if the author had created and named the folder himself, it would eliminate at least one possible point of confusion.

In a case like the one you're describing, the author might instruct you to "create a folder and give it a name" or "create a folder and name it ...such and such".
If the author tells you how to name the folder, do exactly that.
If the author leaves the name of the folder up to you, you most likely will have to edit the aircraft.cfg accordingly.

I will outline the two main points to make your a/c show up in the menu.
The example I'll use will be the default b737_400.

Open your b737_400 folder. Within you should have 8 folders, 2 HTM Files, 1 AIR File, and 1 aircraft.cfg file.
For our purpose, we only need to concentrate on the last two files I've just mentioned.

Open your aircraft.cfg file. By default it should open with 'Notepad'. If it doesn't, right-click on it and select 'Open With' - Notepad.

[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing 737-400
sim=Boeing737-400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=

The first few lines in your aircraft.cfg should be identical to this. Again, for our purpose we need only concentrate on the two lines commencing with 'title=' and 'sim=' respectively.

The 'title=' entry has to be synonymous with the name of the folder of the a/c in question. In our example it is b737_400.

The 'sim=' entry has to be synonymous with the name of the AIR File. In our example it is b737_400 Note: Do not include ".air" in the name.

A final point to keep in mind. In our example it just so happens that the 'title=' and 'sim=' entries are identical.
This is by no means the norm. It is important to always check and make sure that adjustments are made if necessary.

I think that wraps it up for now - give it a try and see what happens. Good luck and keep us posted!

Pro Member Trainee
Lt_Fred Trainee

Thanks, Tailhook! Once you pointed out the aircraft.cfg file, I was able to fix the problem. This helped a lot and I was able to get it running! Woo-Hoo!

A thousand thanks, and 25 gallons of aviation fuel! 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Lt_Fred wrote:

A thousand thanks, and 25 gallons of aviation fuel! 🙂

And just why would you want to poison me...?? Fear

I'm glad you've got it all worked out 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
Lt_Fred Trainee

Oh, all right then, a case of Molsons.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain