SearchSearch 

taxiway navigation

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

hey guys, i am wondering how you navigate through the taxiways without progressive taxi but instead using an airport diagram. so like what do you do when they say "taxi to runways 26 on taxiway D D1 T T T3" or sumthing like that. or is fs even accurate enough to do this?

15 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Well, you should note the path that they want you to follow, and then watch the signs. remember that black background with yellow letter indicates the taxiway you are on and yellow background with black letter indicates the crossing taxiways.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Flight Simulator 2004 is accurate enough with correct taxi signage. Here is a link for US airport diagrams. All airports don't have diagrams but the large more complicated airports do.
🙂
http://www.naco.faa.gov/digital_tpp.asp?ver=0602&eff=02-16-2006&end=03-16-2006

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I noticed a mistake with a taxiway at my home airport (KLGB) The taxi way is labeled wrong and does not extend all the way to runway 12.

Atreyu, is that Camel Back mountain in the backround of your signature?

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I also reccomend www.myairplane.com for your airport diagrams.

I think the trouble you're probably having with taxiing on your own is that you're not quite sure when you reach taxiway "Bravo", whether you turn right or left. The airport diagrams will help. You know where you want to end up (the threshold of Rwy26 for example), so you can essentially follow the path they give you on your way there. It is tough going from a "top down" view of the airport you get on a map to the cockpit, but if you get lost try "Shift + S" to get the top-down view.

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

Atreyu, is that Camel Back mountain in the backround of your signature?

yep 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hey,

You may be interested in this download:

Tartanaviation wrote:

Here is a small freeware program that works quite well. It will display the Taxiway information and numbers that you are looking for.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=airport+chart+viewer&CatID=root

Download the latest version, Airport's Chart Viewer v5.0 , found at the bottom of the page on the link.

It is a accurate little download that you can open in FS and type in any airport ICAO code and all gates, taxiiways and runways will appear with a symbol of where you are 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Flight Simulator is pretty accurate in it's depiction of taxiways but just like everything else in the program, it's not updated. You will find some discrepancies because of changes to the real world or minor mistakes in the program. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Thanks for the AVSIM link Jon, I'll try it out soon, looks like it could come in handy in the near future. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

Thanks for the AVSIM link Jon, I'll try it out soon, looks like it could come in handy in the near future. 😉

No problem. It comes in very useful for Multiplayer like VATSIM where you don't have progressive taxi on and you don't want to download or buy ground charts of all of the airports you takeoff from or land on 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Thanks for the link to the program, I installed it and will be trying it in a few. Will help alot I hope, usually when I was flying in the US I would go online and print airport charts for where ever I was going. But now I've been using FS Cargo in the Caribbean I've been kinda lost and I hate using progressive taxi. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

when i land at auckland international and taxi off the runway the plane automatically seems to fall the the ground and crashes. Glitch? i can give more info

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

brownbox wrote:

when i land at auckland international and taxi off the runway the plane automatically seems to fall the the ground and crashes. Glitch? i can give more info

what plane are you using? have you tried taking off the same runway with a different plane?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

brownbox wrote:

If you are using airchv50.zip you might need 'Manuel's Service Pack 3' according to the file description. Get it here ➡ http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=mansp3.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

thats fixed the problem. cheers 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

🍻