Windows XP Home Start Menu

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

When I click on my "Start" button, I'm presented with two panes: left and right.

In the right hand pane are three sections. I am concerned with topmost one only.

In that section I have the following menu items:

My Documents
My Pictures
My Music
My Computer

I would like to add a new item such as My Videos to the same section. Is this possible?

If "No", that's cool.
If "Yes", please share your knowledge/method Idea

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I had a try to see if I could add a file to that section of the Start Menu with no luck. I also had a browse around the Help and Support Center for XP and found limited related material Dont Know Sorry 😞

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

From the litle i know it you cant create a new folder there.
But you can right click to one of them and rename it to My Videos.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

When I click on my "Start" button, I'm presented with two panes: left and right.

In the right hand pane are three sections. I am concerned with topmost one only.

In that section I have the following menu items:

My Documents
My Pictures
My Music
My Computer

I would like to add a new item such as My Videos to the same section. Is this possible?

If "No", that's cool.
If "Yes", please share your knowledge/method Idea

Hi TH, that should be very easy. First if you look inside My Documents, there should already be a folder called 'My Videos'. If not, and you want a fresh folder with same name, then in the 'Start' menu, do a Right Click on any of the 4 you highlighted, then Left Click on Explore. In the tree which should now be showing, just make a new folder with the name of your making, alongside the four already showing, eg. at the same level. This should now be available in the 'Start' menu.

And if you want the existing 'My Videos' folder to show, that's easy, just drag it to the next level up.

Hope you can understand my explanation, if not, let me know, and I'll try to show a screen shot with further directions.

Oh, just one thought comes to mind, I'm explaining this for Windows XP, but should be able to do same in 98/ME vintage.

HTHs.

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Hi KenTel, I've just followed and tried your instructions, but no luck. I've created a new folder called (my video's), and tried moving to....

My Documents
My Pictures
My Music
My Computer

but it wont have it, it just keeps putting itself into My Documents 🙄
Wonder if Tailhook has had any luck ???.

I think that Greekman 72 has the best solution of changing the name of one of the existing folders, that method works o.k. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Right click on the icon that you want to put in the start menu and click on "pin to start menu" and it will.
Is this what you want.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Nice one RadarMan 👍 thanks for that. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Okay! Just sorted that out, RM is right, it depends on the mode you have the Start menu running in, I have mine set to Classic Style, and there is no access to 'pin to menu', this is only available from the later style menu.

So it is down to your Start Menu Mode.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thank you all for learn me something new.I love this forums... Punk Punk Punk

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thank you all for your efforts and research.

I have tried and experimented with every single one of your suggestions. It's amazing what you discover.

The 'Classic Style' doesn't really suit me, too many Icons on my desktop already.

The "pin to start menu" option I have been aware of, and though you can drag and drop the items up and down the list according to your preferences, this flexibility is only available in the left pane and of course, that's where it'll end up if the "pin to start menu" option is used.
Left and Right is divided by a line that seemingly cannot be crossed. Strange...

So I've decided on a compromise. I've renamed the My Music folder to My Music and Videos. That suits me fine.

🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...