Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Hey guys, I am rather new and would like to question you!

Pro Member Trainee
HotRodCamaro Trainee

Hello everyone! My name is Jason, I am 18 years old and I am new to the forums and a little new to flight simulator 2004. I have been a long time aviation buff and read as much as I can on WWI, WWII, and Vietnam fighters and bombers. I have been in a real airplane only once. It was during my introductory flight at a local flight school here. I got to take off and fly to my house and have never quite been the same since. I am just saving up some money to continue my lessons.

Anyway, I currently use an X45 joystick and was curious about the rocker rudder on the thing. I wondered if it was possible to get control of the rudder with this thing instead of actual pedals. I am a long time flyer of IL2 and B17II and it is much easier to use in both of those games. (Hell I usually don't need to use it much at all.) In FS2004 however, the slightest movement throws the plane all over the air, and don't even get me started on the choppers! I turned the sensitivity down in the game and it seems ok for fixed wings now but it just seems impossible to have enough precision for helis. Could someone tell me if it is just me needing some more practice or that maybe the rocker rudder on the X45 is a bit too hard to use for accurate control of helis?

Also, is there a list of must have mods out there? There are so many to choose from and the quality seems to vary so much it is hard for a beginner like me to figure it all out. I enjoy flying sight seeing prop planes and choppers the most so the terrain can look quite ugly sometimes. (My computer should be able to handle most anything I throw at it) Also, please include some payware add-ons in the list. I know there are some good ones out there. Just don't know where to get em or what to get exactly.

Last question. This is a little off topic but any replies or links to where I can find out more information would be great. Flying and working on cars are it for me and I would like to pursue a possible career in aviation. Could some of you pilots out there offer me some advice? Would I be better off flying as a hobby rather than doing it to make a living? What kind of options are there for fixed wings and rotaries? Is one type of craft needed more than others? What kind of education is needed for most areas? If I DID decide to go for it, would I be better off enlisting and having the military train me?
(I live in the US if that makes any difference in your answers.)

Well thatís all I have to ask you guys for now. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welcome to Flyaway HotRodCamaro!

The tips will be arriving in no time at all 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Welcome to Flyaway Jason Group Wave

1) I don't know anything about the X45 Joystick so can't really comment on it.

2) For scenery, this is probably one of the best sites:

http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

It contains world and regional scenery as well as airport scenery so I would recommend downloading and installing scenery for your favourite airports. (If you need help with that, don't hesitate to ask here). I would recommend the Airport Environment Upgrade 7. It changes the appearence of Airports for the better

(You need to sign up to www.flightsim.com but it is free and quick and it will come in very useful in the future)

Also...
Have a look around these sites for addon aircraft, scenery, panels and sounds etc:
www.avsim.com
www.flightsim.com
www.simviation.com

As for flying for a living or as a hobby, it depends on a lot of factors. First off, learning to fly is by no means cheap. I would say the best thing to do is work your way up by doing the PPL (Private Pilot's License) which will take a few months and will cost around $4500 to $5500. From here, you should gain a better insight as to whether you want to continue with flying and acquiring your Commercial Licenses and the Airline Transport Pilot's License. Obviously, these licenses come at a great cost, but if it is what you want to do, then it will pay for it self in terms of money and self-achievement. I can't really speak for what education you need, but in the UK, a degree is gives you a good head start over other applicants for airlines.

This link should be most useful to you in getting an understanding of the requirements and different paths to follow for getting different licenses:

Hope that helps a bit and welcome 👍

Don Wood Guest

99JoLegg's advice was right on regarding getting your ratings. To begin, you cannot fly for pay on a private pilot's license. It is even illegal in the USA for you to be reimbursed for the expenses of a flight if you have only a PPL. Once you get a commercial license, you will need to find a way to build up your hours since most fly-for-pay jobs require more hours than you will acquire in training. Many pilots get an instructor's rating after their commercial rating and begin instructing as a way to build their hours. Once you have built up yours hours and have gotten an instrument rating, there are jobs flying freight or documents available to build enough hours to be considered by the airlines. That is a pretty long road and expensive.

Another option is to attend an aviation college such as Embry-Riddle. You can be obtaining your college degree at the same time you gain flight ratings and experience. Again, it is expensive but in the college setting, there may be scholarships, grants-in-aid, student loans, and other financial aid available.

At age 18, I do not believe military flight training will be available to you, especially without college. The Air Force, the Navy, and the Marines all require college degrees to become an officer, which is necessary for flight training. I read recently the Navy is starting a program to allow a selected few non-officer pilots but only to senior enlisted men and women. At one time, the Army would train non-officer helicopter pilots and make them Warrant Officers at the completion of training. I don't know if that program is still available but it was my impression they wanted at least two years of college to qualify. All the services also have much more stringent physical requirements than are needed for civilian flight training.

I hope this helps. If you are still thinking of military flight training, your best bet would be to talk to recruiters from each service to make sure what their current requirements are.

Pro Member Trainee
HotRodCamaro Trainee

Thanks for the help guys. The links were just what I was looking for and the advise was great. 😎

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

Also something you might want to check out is seeing as you are an aviation buff is a website called PPRUNE heres the link http://www.pprune.org/forums/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

spitfiresrule wrote:

Also something you might want to check out is seeing as you are an aviation buff is a website called PPRUNE heres the link http://www.pprune.org/forums/

Thanks for the link 'spitfiresrule', what a great variety of topics!! Read 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
HotRodCamaro Trainee

So do most airline pilots and charter pilots need a college education? Just curious on this as I do not care for school too much.

Thanks again fellas.