Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

London - Sydney

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Hey guys. Currently doing a flight from London - Sydney, getting ready to go to sleep and wakup hopefully a lot closer to Sydney! This is a great test of the in-flight system Smile

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

If you're serious about sleeping, how do you handle ATC communications? Or are you flying this long haul VFR?

Pro Member Site Admin

Yep, I'm cheating by flying VFR and using a Direct GPS route.

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Did you make it?

Pro Member Site Admin

I did indeed, safe and sound. Didnt realise Sydney airport had water surrounding - what a great approach!

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Nice touch, I like it - as someone reasonably new to FS, I find this (Direct GPS on a VFR) a great way to get into flying some great journeys and checking out the scenary, while practicing manual flying techniques.

You can leave things on AutoPilot (GPS) for a while but can always deviate from your route to practice some handling stuff - then either fly manually back onto your GPS flight course, or if you've gotten really lost, let AP find it for you!

I know purists will not agree with this way of flying, but when ur new to this, there is so much to take in and this straightforward way of flying really get's you started!

Hope you enjoyed Sydney and didn't hit the Bridge ! LOL.

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

I know purists will not agree with this way of flying, but when ur new to this, there is so much to take in and this straightforward way of flying really get's you started!

Purists, schmurist. It's your flight sim, you paid for it, use it anyway that works for you. Enjoy it. Kick

Pro Member Trainee
greenday5719 Trainee

How long did it take you to get there? And what aircraft did you use?

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

flyaway wrote:

... Didnt realise Sydney airport had water surrounding - what a great approach!

Oh yeah... flying in a flight simulator one can get a somewhat better understanding of world geography. Surprised The lay of the land, so to speak. Very Happy

Pro Member Trainee
Nightwisher Trainee

I did that. I did a VFR on GPS system and went to sleep last week. I did it from Manchester Airport (U.K.) to JFK (N.Y.) It was amazing! Only problem was that when i got up i was around Baltimore, so i had to comback to New York. 7hours and 30 min on average on a 737-400. I recommend it!

Pro Member First Officer
mrkonk First Officer

Sydney one of my favorite airports,besides portland intl (KPDX)

Pro Member Trainee
thenap Trainee

Hi just flying to sydney from perth (australia) where i live, amazing - even better if you play some trance while flying ((d><b)) i reccomend dj tiesto. but a good way of feeling less guilty or whatever is to choose low or high altitude airways instead of direct GPS, this still gives you a GPS route you can follow but it uses actual checkpoints used by airlines, yay! glad u liked sydney-even better in real life i landed in the afternoon came in over the sea saw all the boats lit up orange/red beautiful great view to the city and over the graveyard best flight ever!