What kind of system do you run?

Pro Member Trainee
Capt_Gilberg Trainee

I have

Intel Celeron CPU 2.70 GHz
1.00 GB RAM
256 Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis

-plus a big harddisk

I expect I need a fairly big upgrade before I run MFS X smoothly. What do you think? What can we expect of MFS X and it`s demands on hardware?

44 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Welcome to Flyaway Group Wave

Nice setup there 👍 Most people will have to upgrade for FSX, but it is hard to know what to upgrade to yet because MS haven't released the minimum requirements. You may have to upgrade your RAM a bit, to maybe two gigabytes. Your processor will probably be average when FSX comes out so it should be able to run FSX adequately. We'll just have to wait and see 😉

Concorde Rules Guest

AMD Athlon X2 @ 2.5Ghz
2Gb G.Skill RAM
X1900XT-X @ 700/1800
74Gb Raptor

I run 2004 at 1600x1200, max AA and AF, 30+FPS, with around 20FPS with max clouds.

Bring on FSX!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I KNOW i'll need a new PC, last week it blew up twice playing FS9, only kidding, lol, but i did smell smoke 😕

Pro Member Trainee
buckman7111 Trainee

Nice grapics card! 😉 .....The only thing i'm worried about is your processor.Its 2.70 GHz which is good..but its a celeron proceesor.I think you might need a pentium processor to run FSX. I have a pentium D 3.00 GHz proceesor, which is probably enough.

I don't care what everybody is saying but 1 GB of RAM is PLENTY for FSX and Windows Vista.

Also, do you have DDR2 ram? It makes quite a bit of difference if you have it...it almost gives you twice the power of your ram. So 1 GB of ram may feel like 2GB of RAM.

I don't think that everyone is going to have to upgrade their systems for FSX. Microsoft will make the games so that most people can use them without upgrading. If they didn't, how could they make any money?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

How can you be so sure that 1GB of RAM is plenty for FSX and Vista?FS2004 runs good with 512 of RAM but it runs great with 1GB.
If we accept the fact that Vista needs 1GB to run what remains for FSX?

Of course we only can suppose this moment.In a few months we will find the truth. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

How can you be so sure that 1GB of RAM is plenty for FSX and Vista?FS2004 runs good with 512 of RAM but it runs great with 1GB.

Of course we only can suppose this moment.In a few months we will find the truth. 😉

The truth,what? from Microshaft !!!
It will give the absolute bare minimum where specs are concerned.Have a look what it said on the box for fs9.Nobody can expect good performance with those specs

Whatever they say,think double maybe more 😳

OK rant over 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

The truth,what? from Microshaft !!!
It will give the absolute bare minimum where specs are concerned.Have a look what it said on the box for fs9.Nobody can expect good performance with those specs

Whatever they say,think double maybe more 😳

OK rant over 🙄

Yes you are right TTT. I had to make it clearer.I mean for the truth we will discover ,not MS's one.More than agree about the minimum requirments they right in the Box.
Maybe in FS11 they write that we could run it with an Amstrad CPC6128.... 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Greekman72

Amstrad CPC6128

ROFL
I think my wristwatch has more computing power than that 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Greekman72

Amstrad CPC6128

ROFL
I think my wristwatch has more computing power than that 😉

Probably.... ROFL ROFL ROFL

Although i remember that except an ancient version of Arcanoid it has a Chees (not Cheesmaster of course)that runs smoothly(in low graphics settings and simple clouds... 😂 )

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Greekman72

in low graphics settings and simple clouds

Bow Down brilliant,absolutely brilliant Bow Down

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

My Computer Performence:
Video card: 5200 g-force invidia
Memory:1 GB ram
2.8 MGhz
+ i have a TV card

Question: Do i need better performence then tht to have a good game and fast game with the fsx ? if yes can u tell me what should i change? or increase. ty

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I dont know what kind of Motherboard you have,and also your CPU brand(AMD-INTEL)But if i was you i would go for a GFX(Graphics Card)
You must wait as we all have to do to see if we need more RAM or not.
Your GFX is a good one but its old so you need to run with something newer.Stay to Nvidia(my opinion) and have a look at the 6600 series. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

Ok ty,i will check the 6000 - 7000 video cards gfx.

Pro Member Trainee
nadaman Trainee

Athlon 64 3000
Asus A8N-E motherboard
geforce 6800gt 256mb
1 gig ddr ram
1 x maxtor diamond plus sata 7200 250 gig hdd
1x maxtor diamond plus 7200 120 gig hdd
1x maxtor diamond 7200 200g hdd

Fs2004 runs very well 30fps most places apart from some airports

fave add ons
LDS 767 in Air Canada free spirit livery
FS passengers
Ultimate terrain USA/CANADA
Fly tampa scenery

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

The only way I evr had my pc smoke was playing fs9,and using and internet download and surfing the net.I could smell quite a bit.
Right now I have
AMD Athlon 2,6 ghz
200gb memory
geforce fx 5200

I think I might buy a
Dual Processor Intel Pentium 4(3ghz each)
200gb memory
geforce fx 7200

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Your CPU is great.You dont need to go to Intel.Increase your RAM ,upgrade your GFX and the smokes are going down... 😉

Pro Member Trainee
maxiedog Trainee

3.2 ghz intel pentium proceser with 1gb of ram and a 256mb graphics card

It works great on ultra high res. even with windows media player running

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Just check my sig for my spec's. Also check my screenshots on how FS9 runs.

In the future I will need to upgard to a dual core processor and a DirectX10 compaitable GFX apart from that I'm ok.

It' now past my bed time and quite drunk as well and I'll see you in the moring.

Liono.................going to see AA on monday 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Windows Vista Ultimate (Beta 2).

Foxconn M/board

Intel P4 3.4Ghz.

2GB Corsair DDR400 Ram.

250GB Seagate Barracuda H/Drive, = 2 drives.

Radeon 256MB X850 XT Platinum Edition PCI Express g/card.

17" Iiyama TFT Monitor.

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard.

Saitek X52.

👍

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

H/D: 200GB
GFX: Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 LE 256 MB
MB: ASUS P4P800S-X
RAM: KINGSTON 1 GB

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I think that we are writing a lot of words on a subject that a weary few of us know what will be the out come of it. As I know at last always will be somebody among us how will upgrade or will buy a new computer and relatively with in a sort period we will going to have a lot of feedback’s if the upgrade/FSX worth it or no. I am with the flight sim since 93 or 95 so is there somebody can think about running fs2004 on a computer from those days ? (DOS+64 MG memory and so on…) We do not have to forget that the prices will drop by a short time . In Israel today I can purchase a computer Dual core 64 bit 2GB Mem 80 gb SATA2 hard drive P4 2.8GB for less then $400-450. It is still a lot of money but...

MyCompSucks Guest

Oh yeah! Beat this!! LOL
I have an old Dell with
-384 Mb of Ram
-A Pentium 3 996Mhz Processor
-A 64mb video card
-68GB Hard drive of which I only have 28.5 left

Yes, i know it sucks, but it runs pretty good with FS9..no joke! I have all the sliders on medium and it runs good with the occasional hopping. I think im going to need a new computer for FSX though......hahaha

Pro Member Trainee
aksldl Trainee

Concorde Rules wrote:

AMD Athlon X2 @ 2.5Ghz
2Gb G.Skill RAM
X1900XT-X @ 700/1800
74Gb Raptor

I run 2004 at 1600x1200, max AA and AF, 30+FPS, with around 20FPS with max clouds.

Bring on FSX!!

Nice setup 👍 Looks like we basically have the same PC, I went for more space than speed cause I have a big media library, but thinking of getting a raptor. Can't wait 4 FSX to arrive in Q4 2006, looking foreward to seeing high results from my card and PC speed. Where do you get a tool for measuring framerate on certain games, and is it freeware or payware?
Thnx

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

Compared with my old computer, this one is amazing. Here was my old spec:
H/D: 40GB
RAM: 128 MB
CPU: Pentium III 866 Mhz
M/B: (don't remember, but a weird named one)
GFX: (some old TNT type) 13 MB

And to add on the only game I could run smoothly was Age of Empires I! I then upgraded it to the following:
H/D: remained 40 GB
RAM: added 256 MB (so 384 MB)
CPU: AMD Athlon 2400+ (2.4 Ghz)
M/B: DFI AD77
GFX: Nvidia GeForce MX 4000 128 MB

then i could run FS2004 quite smoothly although the graphics were low the whole thing didn't judder or anything. Graphics were ok, nothing great as you can expect. Then I finally bought a new one whose specification is listed in a post above.

Pro Member Trainee
aksldl Trainee

I think I have pretty much everything I need for when Vista and FSX comes out, but I need a new monitor cause mine is really old, really need an HD monitor for the glossy effects Vista and FSX has to offer. What kind of flight controls do most of you guys have, cause I have the Saitek X52, but I have read that other people have awsome flight setups, + where do you get these from?

userguest Guest

I hpe my system will be good enough to run FSX:

pentium 4 proc. 3.40Ghz
mobo:Asus P5P800 SP
1280 of RAM
2*160 gb HDD
GeForce 6800 ultra ,256 mb
Single cd/dvd double layer drive./burner....
power supply:550W
Screen:LG LCD sreen (8ms of respnse)
[/quote]

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

userguest wrote:

I hpe my system will be good enough to run FSX:

pentium 4 proc. 3.40Ghz
mobo:Asus P5P800 SP
1280 of RAM
2*160 gb HDD
GeForce 6800 ultra ,256 mb
Single cd/dvd double layer drive./burner....
power supply:550W
Screen:LG LCD sreen (8ms of respnse)

It should be, but you might want to bump your RAM up to 2GB for better performance.

userguest Guest

Ok!!i will go to 2gb then,thanks for the advice;and do you think i can run vista with no problems with this config? and btw ,should i replace my mobo??

wolfsbane Guest

ATM my specs are;

AMD Athlon 64 3500cpu @ 2.2Ghz (AMD 4400x2 soon)
1gb Ram (4gb soon)
ATI x1800xt
160gb hdd (4x250gb soon)

ATM i can run fs9 at full gfx no probs. Also the (soon) i should hopefully have this by november.

It's useless upgrading your rigs like that. Wait about two years and then get hardware. Even Hal Bryan admits that computers are not really capable of running FSX at its max settings.

"If we crank up all these details, what happens to the frame rate? Bryan was honest. 'It’ll choke it right down,' he admitted. FSX is designed to push your hardware to the very limit. 'FSX is pretty much a benchmark platform,' Schnepf explains, 'Back when the very first Flight Simulator was released, it was used to test a computer. If you had the hardware to run it, your machine was classified as a PC. FSX will be played on a new class of computers.'"

http://www.simhq.com/_air6/air_231h.html

Clearly it's useless unless you can get a hold of one of NASA's supercomputers!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Interesting article but I want that joystick that he is using!

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

That's an X-52. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

That's an X-52. 😉

It is? Huh, It doesn't look like the shots on their site, it looks chrome and with lights. Nice looking I will need a new one for FSX, chances are this one won't work with Vista.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

hms_endeavour wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

That's an X-52. 😉

It is? Huh, It doesn't look like the shots on their site, it looks chrome and with lights. Nice looking I will need a new one for FSX, chances are this one won't work with Vista.

Radar

They all have chrome and lights. Even mine 😂 .No seriously, you should get one.The best joystick ever made so far. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

hms_endeavour wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

That's an X-52. 😉

Radar

They all have chrome and lights. Even mine 😂 .No seriously, you should get one.The best joystick ever made so far. 😀

I know it is, the one I have is more than good now but won't be with Vista.
I have a Sidewinder Precision 2 USB stick.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

hmm,nice. So what will you get for vista? I'm sure they'll update the X-52, cause saitek better not just forget a 130$ joystick and leave it to rot with xp.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

hmm,nice. So what will you get for vista? I'm sure they'll update the X-52, cause saitek better not just forget a 130$ joystick and leave it to rot with xp.

I'd rather have a joystick like the X-52 or whatever they call the new stick instead of a yoke.
I don't fly the big iron just GA so that 2 handed stick may be too much also.
Hard to say but unless MS has a new Sidewinder it'll be a Saitek. I hate junk, I don't like to have to return something beacuse it was cheap to start with.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

hms_endeavour wrote:

I'd rather have a joystick like the X-52 or whatever they call the new stick instead of a yoke.
Hard to say but unless MS has a new Sidewinder it'll be a Saitek. I hate junk, I don't like to have to return something beacuse it was cheap to start with.

Radar

Yeah, the X-52 is really incredible,and extremely comfortable, but a little too precise... but I also barely ever fly "Big Iron" but i lovs small fun planes and helis. a two handed stick really helps, but you'll hate the X52 if you like using your keyboard. If you have the X52, You'll never use your keyboard while flying in fs9.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

hms_endeavour wrote:

Radar

Yeah, the X-52 is really incredible,and extremely comfortable, but a little too precise... but I also barely ever fly "Big Iron" but i lovs small fun planes and helis. a two handed stick really helps, but you'll hate the X52 if you like using your keyboard. If you have the X52, You'll never use your keyboard while flying in fs9.

Lets see what they come out with that is fully compatable with Vista. I don't want to buy and expensive one with new updated drivers.

Radar

fascinating joystick forum.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

fascinating joystick forum.

Isn't it.You always learn alot. 🙄 😕

don't really care much for joysticks. I have one, but I hate the rudder control of a twist-stick. would much rather get a yoke and pedals if I had the $$$ or the desk. (I have a terrible computer desk with a keyboard tray - not good for a CH yoke!)

Pro Member Chief Captain

[quote="Anonymous"]but I hate the rudder control of a twist-stick.quote]oon the x-52 you just pull out a little stick and it stops the joystick from being able to be twisted.

Pro Member First Officer
Spoty101 First Officer

A8N-SLI deluxe ASUS motherboard (ready for dual cores and triple cores that will come out in the near future)
Maxtor 120 GB hard drive 8MB CACHE 7200 RPM with up to 150 MB/SEC Transfer rate
AMD 3200+ 64-bit with HyperTransport Technology is 2GHz and has a 2Ghz front side bus
Ati Radeon X800 graphics card with 256 MB (my computer can have 2 graphic cards run together on the same time, example, two graphics card of 512 mb can make one single graphics card with 1024 mb)
2 GB of memory (my computer can have up to 4 GB of memory or more if they get 2 GB sticks)
Also a combo drive that supports DVD's and read up to 16X times on DVD's and 52X on CD-rom.